The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

sensor filter crack

markowich

flew off to tokyo two days ago, took the M9 out of the backpack this morning to clean the sensor...sensor (filter) cracked on top left corner. useless piece of junk. off to yodobashi to buy a fuji X1Pro......held it in my hands but couldn't get myself to buy it. feels plasticky and big.
bad day in the office---)))
peter
ps: also posted in the leica m9 forum.

fotografz

Yikes!

How old was this M9? I thought Leica had put this all behind them.

I'm sure they'll replace it.

-Marc

markowich

Yikes!

How old was this M9? I thought Leica had put this all behind them.

I'm sure they'll replace it.

-Marc
marc,
i had the M9 delivered one day before the official announcement---))). so technically it is out of warranty, but we shall see....
anyway, even a tourist takes a backup along, i didn't. but i took all my five M lenses---))))
peter

markowich

Jono, I think he mentioned the X-Pro1, not the X100.
yes, X-Pro1. i went to the store again in the afternoon and on second thought i bought the whole system, X-Pro1, all three available lenses and a flash. what the heck....i spent less for the whole lot than on my summilux M 35mm. japanese warranty only but if it breaks i shall send it to my japanese colleagues who will take care of it. i am sure that the turnaround will still be faster than the M repair in solms.
fuji battery charging now.... maybe it only feels plasticky because it is sooo light. i shall report tomorrow in the fuji forum.
all the best, peter
ps: it was a bad day in the office, for my electronic equipment. in the evening my iphone 4s fell on the pavement and the front glass broke featuring an interesting spiderweb pattern. and this morning there was an earthquake, about 30 sec long....i was scared but my japanese friends shrugged it off elegantly...

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Mark, you'll get used to earthquakes there, really. I lived in Tokyo for exactly four years, to the day, and earthquakes are very common (small ones, of course). It's when you are having dinner in a Shinjuku skyscraper during an earthquake that things can be e bit discombobulating; the tops of those buildings whip metres backwards and forwards. Please report back on the X-Pro1, too. Did you get the M-mount too? I am much interested in how to focus M lenses accurately on one of these.

jonoslack

marc,
i had the M9 delivered one day before the official announcement---))). so technically it is out of warranty, but we shall see....
anyway, even a tourist takes a backup along, i didn't. but i took all my five M lenses---))))
peter
Hi Peter
I'll be astonished if they don't fix it free. Even if it is technically out of warranty.

Enjoy the X1pro - We'll all be interested in your feelings.

all the best

markowich

Hi Peter
I'll be astonished if they don't fix it free. Even if it is technically out of warranty.

Enjoy the X1pro - We'll all be interested in your feelings.

all the best
jono, i hope -and believe- they will fix it free. if not i am jost going to use it as paperweight and put the M lenses on the fuji, once the M adapter will be out.
1.5 focal length factor---grrrrrr-----)))).
peter

markowich

short update on the fuji XPro-1: extremely lightweight system (camera+3 lenses = 1kg), nevertheless build quality seems ok. there was a lot of rain in tokyo today so i did not take the camera out too much (not sure how much water it can take, probably not much), just shot around a bit in the restaurant this evening at 800 and 1600iso and outside at base iso this morning. conclusion: the RAW converter silkypix s...ks but detail is very good from base to 1600 iso. order of magnitude wise D3s level i would say without scientific comparism. i tried to find moiree (shooting all kinds of fabric) but couldn't in tests where the M9 would have created havoc. so preliminarily on IQ: very good resolution, excellent up to 1600iso, very nice color rendering, even skin tones.
on the AF: absolutely ok for static subjects even in low light but i did not try moving targets. there is of course an issue with all mirrorless AF systems: the AF sensor area is quite large and inside the algorithm chooses what it wants and often not what you want. in order to avoid this there is no other way than to expand live view to 100%. same with the nikon 1 system.
and the lenses: i only tried the 18mm and it seems to be doing very well, even as far as bookeh is concerned.
if leica manages to build a fuji Xpro-1 full frame equivalent they would have a winner (with focus confirmation instead of AF). but i think that this is too much technology for them to absorb or to buy into.
peter

TimWright

You do know that Leica are the ones who invented autofocus but then sold it to Minolta (I think it was) as they didn't think serious photographers would want it. I own an M9, Nex7 and a couple of others Leica still sets the bar.

ced

peter sorry to hear of your misfortune, as a matter of interest was the back pack put into the hold or was it with you?

Shashin

You do know that Leica are the ones who invented autofocus but then sold it to Minolta (I think it was) as they didn't think serious photographers would want it. I own an M9, Nex7 and a couple of others Leica still sets the bar.
They invented some autofocus systems, but not really the systems used today--I understand they believed serious photographer would not use it because it was so slow. Minolta made the first autofocus SLR, but when they were sued and lost, it was not by Leica, but Honeywell. Pentax had the first autofocus lens for an SLR. And there were other autofocus systems before that for compact and instant cameras.

TimWright

I know that in the sixties and seventies Leica patented a number of autofocus related technologies and then showed the technology at Photokina in i think 1976 then sold the patent rights to Minolta. The rest as they say is history. Anyway the point is that I don't think that Leica has been doing nothing since the M9 and S2 were released.

mtomalty

Anyway the point is that I don't think that Leica has been doing nothing since the M9 and S2 were released.
True.
They've been busy replacing cracked sensors,recalibrating inaccurate
rangefinders,fixing front and back focussing lenses while at the same time
producing a dribble of new lenses. Busy indeed :)

Mark