The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M9

Paul Jameson

I'm wondering what people think of the Leica M9 and specifically of it's image quality these days. How it relates to existing systems, upcoming systems (from what we've seen) how it relates to Medium Format which it seems the gap is closing these days with smaller formats.

I would like to hear from existing owners and what they are feeling in terms of their upgrade path, if they are happy etc.

I'm of the belief, personally, that it is remarkable and that with an 11x14 print you can't easily tell the difference, even between Medium Format.

Paratom

For me M9 IQ still better than for example the Nex7 (I own both). Color, noise in the 160-1250ISO range (which is more important to me than ISO 3200 or 6400), transition between sharp and unsharp areas.
And I dont find its only the lenses, its the combination.
I am close to selling the Nex (the only reason why I still own it is for a allround zoom and for video - but then I just dont get the real "hang" on f6.3 zooms.) The Nex is very good, but IMO the M9 has the edge in IQ (of course for a much higehr priece)

I go further and say the M9 IQ is the best of all existing DX and ff sensor cameras. Only MF beats it for my taste.
I also prefer an optical viewfinder over EVF.
It is however more difficult to frame accurate.

Maybe the M10 is even better, but the M9 is allready really good.

If I browse through my LR3 database I believe to see which images are from the M9, and which from the nex or Nikon very often.

oc garza

Can't see ever replacing the m9. the image quality is great, print regularly 17x25 and larger and can't really see any need for an m10.

mtomalty

For me,personally(based on using my own M9), I have found the image superiority claims
a little over-stated.
With competent optics and post-processing techniques, it it virtually impossible to tell
the difference from a file produced by a 5DMkll,for example.
Without question, the M9 at low iso settings is a fantastic file and is visibly sharper than
a 5DMkll file straight out of the camera. Only a fool would state otherwise given the opportunity to see such files side by file. Equally the fool who would reproduce these files at this state of the post processing pipeline.
From my experience with two M9 bodies, anything over 800iso under artificial lighting
is a crapshoot at best. The mottled patchy,colored noise is among the nastiest,visually,
I have come across
You mention that it is remarkable that 11 x 14 prints from the M9 are almost indistinguishable from a MF capture.
Equally remarkable is viewing a similar comparison between the M9 and a 'lowly'
GX-1 where the differences are slight to none (at that size) given that one of the better
micro 4/3 is used.
I can only imagine how the new Nikon D800 or 800e will define the FF 35mm sensor format once they start shipping in the coming weeks.
Bottom line is if you want or need a rangefinder the M9 is the only FF game in town
and is excellent and for compact FF 35mm form factor it has no rivals
Unfortunately, it's just not enough for me anymore.

Mark
Mark Tomalty Fine Art and Stock Photography

Godfrey

I am happy with what I get from the M9. It seems more like the smallest possible medium format camera than a top of the heap 35mm camera. It's rangefinder shooting methodology makes it completely unique too.

Image quality is excellent (and what I expected).

JimCollum

what he said

I am happy with what I get from the M9. It seems more like the smallest possible medium format camera than a top of the heap 35mm camera. It's rangefinder shooting methodology makes it completely unique too.

Image quality is excellent (and what I expected).