The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M lens correction in LR4

Armanius

Nice! I upgraded yesterday and was processing photos. But didn't look to see if there were M lense profiles there, and ended up doing some adjustments manually. Can't wait to get home to check it out though!

Godfrey

btw M9 does NOT tether with LR4
I don't think Leica offers any control protocol that Lightroom or any other software could take advantage of to enable tethering. There's certainly no mention of it in the instruction manual or any hint that they have a custom camera control application for end user consumption, and I don't see any software development kit offered from Leica.

All the other cameras for which Lightroom supports tethering have SDKs available from their manufacturers.

fotografz

I don't think Leica offers any control protocol that Lightroom or any other software could take advantage of to enable tethering. There's certainly no mention of it in the instruction manual or any hint that they have a custom camera control application for end user consumption, and I don't see any software development kit offered from Leica.

All the other cameras for which Lightroom supports tethering have SDKs available from their manufacturers.
The S2 tethers to LR ... so Leica knows how to do it. Probably would need a firmware update if it's even possible at all with the M9.

-Marc

bradhusick

If I am not mistaken you can tether the M9 to Aperture.

Double Negative

Not Available
One thing to note - if you use the new "2012 process" as part of the ACR 6.7 RC, you won't have any controls (e.g. exposure, recovery, etc.) visible. This is because Photoshop hasn't had an update (which I would expect soon or when ACR final is released) to support the new controls (e.g. highlights, shadows, etc.). The new Adobe "Photoshop Lightroom 4" (notice the new name) however does. The icon also changed to have an outline and be higher in contrast. So anyway, if you use the "2012 process" it does a pretty nice job out of the box in my limited testing so far. But of course, not as useful. The 21 new Leica M lens corrections seem decent enough - I do notice a change on Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH shots with/without the corrections. Something like the Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH shot wide open might be more interesting though.

Godfrey

If I am not mistaken you can tether the M9 to Aperture.
That's very interesting, I didn't know at all.

From the link I found that talked about it,
Tethered M9, Aperture3, Imac...Yes! - Leica User Forum
it relies on the camera being in PTP (Print Transfer Protocol) mode for the USB port. So that's the protocol they're using ...

I don't know how they are operating the shutter release with that protocol, however.

Again, very interesting. More I didn't know about the M9... ;-)

---
A little more hunting and I found that there is "Leica Digital Capture v1.0" available for the M8 model. It's not listed as available for the M9, but that implies there at least was a supported control protocol. It's probably a good bet that the M9 still has the same control protocol in it, but it's not listed because they haven't updated and tested the software for the M9.

yuro

I tether my M9 for studio shoots all the time. I use Apple's Image Capture. Hook up the camera with a blank card (otherwise you have weird import behavior happening and it just adds to confusion), then once Image Capture sees it, go to File -> Take Picture. Make sure you set your destination folder to be the SAME folder that LR looks at as a Hot Folder. Then I just go back to the camera and shoot. A few seconds later the image shows up on the lightroom screen.

There is no aperture/shutter speed/iso control. You can hit the space bar in the image capture take picture screen and it will fire the shutter.

Also, this is a slow process. If you shoot multiple frames the buffer gives priority to shooting than transferring files to the computer. Just give it a few seconds. This is not a speedy operation but it sure is better at looking at a large screen of your image than the silly display on the back of camera.

Enjoy.

gooomz

new to LR and used my 24mm lux for some images but it is not showing up in Lens Correction menu.

any fast fixes for this?

gooomz

photos made with the 50 lux work with lens correction just fine, but although LR shows that some shots were taken with the 24 lux it wont let me use auto lens correction and Leica doesnt show up in the Lens brand menu.

any ideas what the deal is? what did i mess up?

i would love to use auto lens correction especially for my wide 24 lux.

thanks.

iiiNelson

I believe they normally apply the lens corrections automatically I thought but if you want to manually select one - go under the Lens Correction tab. Select the "Enable Profile Corrections" box. Select Leica. Then a list of all the embedded lens profiles in LR4 (M and S) will be in the drop down menu.

I don't know if it makes a difference whether the lens is 6-bit coded, set to auto, or if it's set to manual. I have some non-6-bit coded lenses myself so I'd have to go through and test that out.

gooomz

thanks for the help but i have a 6 bit 24 lux and for some reason Leica does not show in the lens brand pull down tab for auto correct. strange.

lens correction works perfect with my 50 lux 6bit, but not sure why it is not working with my 24mm 6bit.

douglasf13

thanks for the help but i have a 6 bit 24 lux and for some reason Leica does not show in the lens brand pull down tab for auto correct. strange.

lens correction works perfect with my 50 lux 6bit, but not sure why it is not working with my 24mm 6bit.
Are you shooting jpeg, by chance? Many lens correction profiles only show up and work when shooting RAW.

gooomz

thanks douglas. i think the image i am working with is a tiff since i exported a raw to silver effects.
i will check.

btw. wouldn't it be a good idea to have lens correction at the top of develop module as especially with wide angle lenses, i would think that this would be the first thing to do in post.

thanks for the help.