The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 to M9 :rolleyes:

shaunmlavery

First off, congrats on the smoking! I feel like half of my family partakes in that and lets the other half worry about them.

As far as the M9 goes, here is my take. You have the lenses down. You will have no problems there. I went from M8's to a M9 and didn't fully commit the the M9 because I freaked myself out because of the money I spent on a camera body. During that time period, I sold a few leica lenses as well! Stupid!

For some reason, I bought a canon system shortly after that for some stuff I had coming up and to be honest, I missed my leica gear everyday. I seriously thought about it everyday. Told myself I didn't need it yada yada....Well, I have a M8/M3 again along with 35/50 Summicron's. My void is filled.

As far as going from the M8 to the M9, my 35 cron asph came alive and the 50 cron wasn't so much a tele anymore. Was it worth the thousands to get that?

Right now I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to keep the M8 or sell off all the canon stuff, pick up some R glass or pick up another M9. Essentially, I'm in your boat as well. It is tough. :D

On the bright side, you are much much healthier! BRAVO!!!

Mike Woods

thanks jp and Shaun. Yes, I can see the lenses changing with the bigger sensor but I got used to the move from 4/3rds so hopefully not too much heartache.

I really hope I can keep my M8. It hasn't missed a beat in the time I've had it, and the 'crop' factor may come in handy in future

I'm thinking I might change the Zeiss 25 for a 28 Elmarit, but have pretty much decided to do nothing on the lens front until I can see for myself how they behave on the M9.

Mike

quadtones

Mike--

Kept my M8u, got the M9 and use them together. Whereas before it was M8 w/ 28mm, now I use the M9 w/ 35mm. Kept all my lenses, and when shooting with two bodies, will use a C-V 15mm [20mm equivalent] or 75mm on the M8, with the 35 on the M9. When out with one body, M9 + 35 only, or 35 + 75. I find I don't use my 50 Summicron much at all on either body.

If I had to be without all other gear, and had to keep one body and lens, it would be the M9 w/ 35 mm.

As Jono said, ENJOY [guess I'm a little less expansive than him].

quadtones

I said EXPANSIVE (actually only referring to typeface), but probably both could apply. Trying to keep the kit small. Never know when I'll have a GAS attack, 'though.

ohnri

The M9 will actually crop almost exactly to the same FOV and number of pixels as the M8.

So, every M9 has a little M8 inside it.

Upgrading is such a big leap forward that you will be forever happy.

BTW, you can recover the M8 view with a 1.4x eyepiece magnifier at the cost of a bit of contrast.

-Bill