The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 to M9 :rolleyes:

Mike Woods

Don't you find those posts about someone wanting reassurance in their decision-making (when actually they have already made up their mind what they are going to do) really annoying? Well, here's another one ... :D

I have an M8. I want an M9. Actually I want a nice shiny new M9-P. I dont need it, I want it. And sorry, no, I can't rationalise it although I'll try if you insist.

I've given up smoking, and believe it or not what I am saving will fund it. So I reckon I can have the camera I want (not need) and just maybe live a few extra years to enjoy it.

Ok so we got that straight?!

Now, yesterday I tried a demo M9 with my 50 'lux. Well that was an eye-opener, literally. The field of view, in terms of framelines and final image, was much wider than I'd anticipated. Actually, looks a lot more than the 33%-ish 'crop' caused by the M8.

So, a couple of questions for those of you who went from M8 to M9 (and preferably haven't shot film; I haven't - much):

* How quickly did you adjust to the wider field of view
* Did you change your arsenal of lenses - can't afford to do that as well :facesmack:
* Did you have to use longer focal length lenses to accommodate the lack of a 'crop'

As I say, your replies won't make any difference to me whatsoever.....I'm just interested!

Thanks in advance for participating :)

Mike

ps I have the lengths 25/35/50/75 and 90 covered off

Gbealnz

Mike,
I was in a similar boat to you, without the deadly habit of course. I had used the L brand for many years, many years ago, but recently got the urge to try a used M8, as they were "almost affordable". I loved every minute of the "experience" and then naturally wanted (not needed) the M9. Selling the M8 and a couple of lenses allowed me to acquire (on this forum too) an M9, and currently it sits with a 50 Summicron. Happy? You betcha. I didn't find the FOV too different actually, and if anything (wearing glasses like I do) I am thinking that if I go any wider the 35 will be as wide as I need/want. Possibly a two lens unit, 35/75, but right now 50 is where I am at.
So answering your specific question, yes I suppose the 50 became more "useful" in my case, it became the standard I was expecting it to be.
Let me finish by saying that if the habit you kick is funding a piece of equipment like this you are winning twice, good on ya mate.
Gary

SYGTAFOTO

I had M8.2 but I switched to M9 after using M8.2 for about 6 months of extensive use. To answer your questions:

- It took me a bit but not much.. maybe 1-2 days? If you've shot full frame in the past, you would be used to the FOV.
- I changed a bit... I had 28 cron for the M8.2 but switched to 35mm lux after the switch. Also had 50mm lux but went with 75mm lux... but sold the 75mm has I found it to be a bit awkward.. I find my "favourite" lenses shift a bit after getting the M9. I find that I like 35/50/90 setup suits me better for M9.

You have most of the focal lengths covered off anyway, so I don't see this being a problem for you. However, you may find that your go to lens setup may change.

jonoslack

HI There Mike
When did you give up smoking?
I gave up in Feb 2006 after 35 years - I really haven't had a puff since then (although I do like to stand close to smokers, and our home is a haven for the few of our friends who still poison themselves).
The real revelation is how much easier it is to do those mountain walks than it used to be . . . and occasionally I go for a run. Of course, this means that, being so much fitter and tougher, I can replace my leica gear with a D4 and megalenses.

. . . or would you like me to be serious?

I don't think that it's easy to anticipate the lens changes you might want to make with an M9 - For me the 28 became a favourite, the WATE, 50, 75 and 90 remained so . . . and the 35 remained unloved, strange but true.

On the other hand, the upgrade from the M8 to M9 was a complete no-brainer - joyous and wonderful.

and changing my steel grey M9 for a silver M9p was almost as much of a buzz.

So - I have only one word to say to you:

ENJOY

You'll understand that I'd never normally be seen dead using comic sans . . .but there are moments for untrammelled levity!

Godfrey

* How quickly did you adjust to the wider field of view
* Did you change your arsenal of lenses - can't afford to do that as well :facesmack:
* Did you have to use longer focal length lenses to accommodate the lack of a 'crop'
ps I have the lengths 25/35/50/75 and 90 covered off

I'm comparing going from FourThirds and APS-C to the M9.

- No time at all.

- I don't have an arsenal. Turns out my favorite focal length .. 40mm ... works beautifully on both APS-C and 35mm formats. Goes from long-normal to wide-normal. My 50 alternates between being a portrait tele and a normal. My 21 alternates between being a wide and an ultra-wide. The 90 and 135s get a little wider. All is good.

- I still use mostly the 40.

The M9 is a different camera, a different format. Enjoy it for what it is and how your lenses work on it.
Since the pixel pitch of the M8 is the same as the M9, the M9 sensor is just larger, if you want the M8 FoV back, crop and you'll have the M8 back. ;-)

Godfrey

Brian S

I bought an lightly used M8 a little over 2 years ago, bought the M9 new about a year ago. Sold off gear to fully fund the M9. And kept the M8. No trouble at all getting used to the M9, use 80 year old lenses as they were intended: RF coupled, full-frame, and no IR filter required.

Besides, Argus is not going to come out with a digital full-frame, RF camera. Had to go with the M9.

Paratom

-I did imediatly adapt to the wider FOV
-Some lenses which focused great on my M8 didnt focus great on my M9. I sold my wate after getting the M9 and added a 135mm lens. However I believe your line up would work very well with an M9, I dont use the 135 much
-Allready answered in the second point.

In the end I think you will really like the M9. The M8 is good, the M9 even a little better.

jonoslack

-I did imediatly adapt to the wider FOV
-Some lenses which focused great on my M8 didnt focus great on my M9. I sold my wate after getting the M9 and added a 135mm lens. However I believe your line up would work very well with an M9, I dont use the 135 much
-Allready answered in the second point.

In the end I think you will really like the M9. The M8 is good, the M9 even a little better.
Hi Tom
do you want to sell your 135?
:ROTFL:
I think we're agreed that the M9 is the reference to which we both return (with relief!).

Paratom

Hi Tom
do you want to sell your 135?
:ROTFL:
I think we're agreed that the M9 is the reference to which we both return (with relief!).
Hi Jono,
yes, M9 works great for me.
I have thought about selling some of my M-glass for the only reason that less gear would be e relief, but over the years my choices change. One year I want a more dynamic look and used the 24 a lot, right now I do a lot with 50mm, sometimes one wants to use faster glass, and sometimes a compact set.
So it will all stay. I have used the M-system longer than anything else in my "gear-collection".

jonoslack

Hi Jono,
yes, M9 works great for me.
I have thought about selling some of my M-glass for the only reason that less gear would be e relief, but over the years my choices change. One year I want a more dynamic look and used the 24 a lot, right now I do a lot with 50mm, sometimes one wants to use faster glass, and sometimes a compact set.
So it will all stay. I have used the M-system longer than anything else in my "gear-collection".
I was only joshing. Selling M glass is always a mistake (unless it's to buy something similar). I'll get a 135 one day, but not right now!

all the best

Paratom

I was only joshing. Selling M glass is always a mistake (unless it's to buy something similar). I'll get a 135 one day, but not right now!

all the best
we can exchange my 135 and 24 Summilux for your Noctilux - you would get 2 focal length for one- and who needs f0.95 anyways?

Mike Woods

You guys are the best! Thanks for playing along....

Gary, the 50 frame lines on the M9 looked lovely, and I can see that 35 might be as wide as I'd ever need.

Scott - Completely agree that my go to set up might change. I like to shoot on the street, but i'm not comfortable getting to close, so the 35/50 works quite well for me with M8. I can see that I might get more use from 50/75 in future

Jono - thanks for joining in! All this is your fault, by the way. Seeing your grey M9 on the buy/sell list just got me thinking :) Don't feel bad....

Godfrey - thanks. I've been following your experiences with your new M9 with interest!

Brian, that's very nice. Chrome for me I think, and maybe a brown case ;)

Tom - good to know. I moved from 4/3rds, micro 4/3rds to M8. I guess this is just another step up that I'll get used to.

Mike

jonoslack

we can exchange my 135 and 24 Summilux for your Noctilux - you would get 2 focal length for one- and who needs f0.95 anyways?
Hmmm- but I already have a 24 'lux, and 2 would really be over the top!

Jono - thanks for joining in! All this is your fault, by the way. Seeing your grey M9 on the buy/sell list just got me thinking :) Don't feel bad....
Well, I'm not sorry - I'm sure you'll be very happy. I spent a fortune with Luigi on lovely half cases . . . .. and then got rid of them - they irritated my royally, and cost nearly as much as a replacement base plate anyway!
. . added to which the only time I've had a real accident it was the top plate which got biffed anyway!

So I won't feel bad :chug:

Godfrey

... I spent a fortune with Luigi on lovely half cases . . . .. and then got rid of them - they irritated my royally, and cost nearly as much as a replacement base plate anyway! ...
interesting that you didn't like them. i bought a Luigi half-case ... the new "inside out" leather finish type ... and find it feels great in the hand. I had the rear door made completely removable. It does make getting to the card a little more of a PITA but that was expected. I didn't buy it for "protection" but for feel and grip. I use an A&A half case on the M4-2 which convinced me I needed a similar case on the M9.

jonoslack

interesting that you didn't like them. i bought a Luigi half-case ... the new "inside out" leather finish type ... and find it feels great in the hand. I had the rear door made completely removable. It does make getting to the card a little more of a PITA but that was expected. I didn't buy it for "protection" but for feel and grip. I use an A&A half case on the M4-2 which convinced me I needed a similar case on the M9.
Naaah - the M9 is too fat anyway (the M6 was perfect). Making it fatter, spending lots of money, and not being able to get to the battery is (I think) like wearing leather underwear; it's uncomfortable, impractical and impresses nobody.

Godfrey

Naaah - the M9 is too fat anyway (the M6 was perfect). Making it fatter, spending lots of money, and not being able to get to the battery is (I think) like wearing leather underwear; it's uncomfortable, impractical and impresses nobody.
LOL! But oh, it feels so nice... :)

I just find the body a little too slick. With the leather it is nicely grippable and fits my hands well. I do have large hands, an E-1 is a near perfect grip as delivered, so the M9's thickness isn't a problem.

jpfisher

Hey Mike, I shoot the M8 along with an M3 and CL. My go-to lens on the M8 is the 35 Lux, and--unless I need wide angle or am doing some sort of portraiture--a 50mm is glued to the M3. I usually use the 35mm lens on the CL if I want to work wider, and may also use a 21mm on the M8 for the same purpose.

So I'm one of the ones who changes lenses with the sensor size--but your mileage may vary on that. Worst case scenario, you do some cropping from time to time--the M9 has the same pixel density as the M8, so you won't be losing anything in terms of resolution.

Your 25/35/50/75/90 kit is pretty versatile. I don't think you'll have too much trouble adapting.