The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tape for the steel grey M9?

F

folville

Does anyone know of a tape that's safe for the steel grey M9 and matches its color reasonably well? There are certain situations where discretion would be nice, but it's hard to be nondescript with that big, bright red Leica badge on the front of the camera.

4season

I suppose you could try a blue painter's tape (looks like masking tape but has a low-tack adhesive) and just spray paint that to match, but I think it's a waste of time: The only one who cares about the red dot is probably you.

F

folville

I suspect a painted tape would probably rub off or fade, but I'll look for some grey electrical tape.

And it is entirely possible I'm the only one who notices or cares about the dot, but I don't want to give any Hizballah thugs any reason to take notice when I'm out shooting. (Or anyone else in any other situation, for that matter.)

250swb

I find that being six foot tall makes me more noticable than the tiny red dot. I have tried tape around my head to disguise it but I think I could skulk around much better if I lost an inch or two, so does anybody have any practical experience of sawing your head off and if there are any consequences? I will wait for your reply's before trying it.

To the OP, try grey or silver Gaffa tape as a colour match, but beware it is highly prized by bad men to tape over the AK47 name so people think they have been shot with an M16.

Steve

zombii

In all fairness to the OP, I have a silver M8 with a black dot that got a surprising amount of attention. So much for stealth as a lot of people asked about it. The M9 that I bought is black with a black dot and had the white M9 logo paint removed by the previous owner. I haven't gotten anywhere near as much attention with it. People pretty much ignore me.

250swb

To be fair I have had people recognise my M9 from seeing the red dot and coming over to talk to me. But that is the point, if they know what the red dot means they aren't likely to be terrorists and they just want a chat.

A long time ago covering a steel strike and finding myself in the middle of an angry scuffle between steelworkers and the police I was even awarded a 'minder' by the steelworkers because they saw I was using Leica's. The other press photographers with Nikons wondered who I had bribed, but in truth there were a lot of amateur photographers in the ranks of the steel men.

Steve

cstarke

Staples has metal stickers that cover the logo very well. But mine is the black M9P and the sticker I use is black with grey branches or flowers. It looks like camera engraving on a brand of camera nobody recognizes. If someone recognizes the camera, they think Leica personalized it.
Best wishes,
Charles

F

folville

Thanks, I think, for the advice so far, everyone. ;)

It is probably a bigger deal for me than it is for most people I'd be photographing, but I use a Leica partly because of its demure appearance compared to an SLR, and anything that makes it even minutely less recognizable is good in my book. (I'd also like to tape over the M9 and "Made in Germany" branding, for that matter.)

atanabe

The M by nature is not a noticeable camera, DSLRs are and get the most attention. A lot of people look at my M9 and say, "old camera?" and I just smile and nod. I think putting tape on the camera just draws more attention to yourself. I would be more curious about what you are hiding than what you have at that point.

If you are worried about theft, then get insurance. Thieves look for opportunities, don't give them a reason to make you a victim. They will steal what ever you carry given the right opportunity. When they fence the camera they get the same amount regardless of the brand.

F

folville

Hello Kitty might help me blend in in certain parts of the world, but not where I'm shooting. ;) These guys aren't always entirely reasonable:

jeffvk

For what it's worth, I taped the red dot and got rid of the white stuff on the m8 wordmark. I did it because I like the cleaner look, if only I could afford a M9P!
Everytime I go out the camera people know exactly what I have, the rest think I have an "old time" film camera. Both want to talk to you. You're not going to fool anyone, but if it makes you feel better do it. Don't bother matching the color, any tape is fine as long as it is not reflective. Snipers like shiny things.

Armanius

I cover up the red dot and the M9 on my steel grey body with black electrical tape. The black tape matches up with the black leatherette pretty well. It is a prettier look IMO.

ramosa

Electrical tape can take off the color of Leica or M-whatever, etc. Gaffers tape is a much better idea, as it won't affect anything.