The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

35mm Summicron pre-asph wide open aperture blades

Hosermage

Hi,

I bought this V4 Summicron and noticed that the aperture blades doesn't fully open. By that, I mean I can't open it all the way to a full circle. I'm not sure if this is normal? At least I've never seen that in my other M lenses, but I've never had one this old. I have a few days left to return, so any confirmation will help. Thanks!

In my sample, s.n. 364xxxx, when viewed at 90°, the blades are not visible at f:2. What i see in your pic should correspond raughly at f:2.4.

May be not. There are a lot of undocumented variants in Leica world.
I would check first if the blades close down regularly each half stop from f:2 down to f:16 or viceversa.

quadtones

I just checked. Mine is a v4 35mm Summicron, 3397xxx. Mine looks exactly like yours, and was recently adjusted by DAG. I should mention that the diaphragm ring will [barely] rotate past the f2 clickstop, which then makes the blades disappear, but this was recently recalibrated, at the same time it was 6-bit coded, so I suspect it's within spec. When set at f2, the blades are just barely visible.

SKueh

Same here. Mine is a V4, s/n 3613xxx. Serviced by DAG couple of years ago and 6-bit coded and checked by Leica NJ last year.

250swb

Even on the 35mm Summicron ASPH the aperture blades are still visible at f/2 so I would say to ignore any doom and gloom prognostications of armageddon.

Steve

Hosermage

Thanks guys, I think it's a keeper, then :)

I've been taking lots of shots with it, and I find that I'm still able to get perfect round highlight bokeh circles during the day time, slightly worst at night. It's strange that I've never seen this on a ZM or CV lens. It's stranger that this is not well documented some where given its reputation and all.

Looks like google has already indexed this thread, though, since I keep finding my own pictures while searching :)