The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which 15mm heliar? old or new?

ark8012

Hello, All,

I am thinking to get a CV 15mm Heliar lens.

As I know there are two different version, Old version for LTM mount and New version for M mount.

Is there any optical differences rather than a mount difference?

I will use the lens on my M2 and R-D1. Should I pick one of the version over the other?

I read some thread that I can use a CV 21mm viewfinder for 15mm, is it true?

Thanks,

Noah

The more substantial difference is that the old one is not rangefinder coupled, the optical scheme is the same and I did'nt notice any real difference in IQ which not attributable to the precision of focus.
On the RD1 (FOV 22.5mm) the 21mm viewfinder will be fine enough, but not on the M2.
I remember that Cosina Voigtlander had a special series of Viewfinder (D) designed for the FOV of the RD1, I have one, the 12D, that I use as a 18mm viewfinder on my M9.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
According to Stephen Gandy's web site, the two lenses are optically identical; I own the LTM version and it is stellar on the GXR, via the LTM–M adapter ($59). Stephen makes a good point that the LTM versions are more adaptable (will fit more cameras) than the M version, if that is an advantage for you. I zone focus mine and/or use the EVF focus assist to check; very easy to use on this type of camera. Not exactly your situation, but handy to know.

ark8012

Thank you for your opinion guys.

Silver color, more adaptable, cheaper price VS. rangefinder coupled, filter thread.

Hard decision!! ah~