The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Studio shoot with DMR

Hank Graber

When I was shooting film I was using a 20+ year old Plaubel 670 and a Hasselblad. If it wasn't for digital I'd still be shooting the same kit and probably continue to shoot it for another 20 years. Digital has really hiked the equipment cost side of the equation. True a busy studio spent a lot more on film/processing and later scanning but that was pay as you go and as you get the work not pay up front not knowing what next years billing might be.

I do miss the Hassy and waist level finder and we shall see how the coming year shapes up. Things have been getting busier, if a recession doesn't put billings in the toilet there may be a MF kit in the cards next year instead of a 35mm DSLR.

Let's see what the Mamiya/Phase deal will bring, what Leica has up their sleeve and where used/refurb prices wind up. I'd be looking at the lower end of new stuff or a used/refurb back. Buying back my 555ELD (or my 205 FE) and 2 Zeiss lenses would be pretty expensive so if I don't go with a new back I might go for a Mamiya RZ67 IID. The RZ lenses are down right cheap and really fantastic. I can get tilt shift, the bellows are great for table top and with a waist level finder and strobes it's not a problem to hand hold for me. With the big crop factor the standard 110/2.8 makes a great portrait/fashion lens. Finally if you want a rig that will impress the clients and can't be confused with their DSLR's the RZ is it.

The top end of the 35 DSLR and bottom of the MF market now overlap and a lot of photographers who left MF film for Canon are now returning to the MF fold. I'd love to have a new toy but we'll see if the numbers add up in the next few months.

David K

Workshop Member
The ZD back and RZ with a couple of lenses can be bought for not much more than the price of a Canon 1DS III. I've been more than satisfied with the IQ from this kit... it's not the Aptus 75S (or comparable from Hassy, Phase, Sinar) but it's relatively affordable.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Stuart,

The Mamiya 645ZD kit is $10K, including camera, 80mm lens, and 22MP 36x48 ZD back. The IQ is excellent. It is not as fast as some of the higher-end backs but the files deliver. Or, you can put the $7K ZD back on an RZ67 Pro IID.

David

...Entry level medium format digital is still around 12000-15000 for the back alone or a single body and lens. ...

Hank Graber

The ZD back and RZ with a couple of lenses can be bought for not much more than the price of a Canon 1DS III. I've been more than satisfied with the IQ from this kit... it's not the Aptus 75S (or comparable from Hassy, Phase, Sinar) but it's relatively affordable.
I'm not so interested in the ZD back. I was thinking more of a refurb Leaf, Phase or Sinar or who knows maybe the new Phase/mamiya deal will bring a ZD priced Phase back.

It was the current values of the RZ stuff that caught my eye. You can pick up just about any RZ lens on ebay for under $1,000 and a new RZ with 110mm lens goes for $3000. that's less then a Leica lens -body alone is around $2,000. For a while they were giving away used Hasselblad V stuff but prices of late have been quite a bit higher.

A little more then half my billing is for design. But 99% of my equipment costs are for the photography side of my business. I bill enough photography to pay off a MF kit but I'd rather have the money in my pocket then give it to Phase One or Leaf. I have to know I'm going to actually make more money then I'm shelling out because of the investment for it to make sense to me whether it's for $5,000 or $50,000. It's always dangerous to let that gear acquisition genie out of the bottle as I'm sure Guy can tell you so I try and keep those impulses well contained:)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Stuart,

The Mamiya 645ZD kit is $10K, including camera, 80mm lens, and 22MP 36x48 ZD back. The IQ is excellent. It is not as fast as some of the higher-end backs but the files deliver. Or, you can put the $7K ZD back on an RZ67 Pro IID.

David
This one is driving me to go get a ski mask and visit a local bank. LOL

Guy Mancuso

I'm not so interested in the ZD back. I was thinking more of a refurb Leaf, Phase or Sinar or who knows maybe the new Phase/mamiya deal will bring a ZD priced Phase back.

It was the current values of the RZ stuff that caught my eye. You can pick up just about any RZ lens on ebay for under $1,000 and a new RZ with 110mm lens goes for $3000. that's less then a Leica lens -body alone is around $2,000. For a while they were giving away used Hasselblad V stuff but prices of late have been quite a bit higher.

A little more then half my billing is for design. But 99% of my equipment costs are for the photography side of my business. I bill enough photography to pay off a MF kit but I'd rather have the money in my pocket then give it to Phase One or Leaf. I have to know I'm going to actually make more money then I'm shelling out because of the investment for it to make sense to me whether it's for $5,000 or $50,000. It's always dangerous to let that gear acquisition genie out of the bottle as I'm sure Guy can tell you so I try and keep those impulses well contained:)

I'm going nuts, I want something bigger. But it has to pay itself in some fashion to justify in my head because my M8 produces very well for me.

Hank Graber

I'm going nuts, I want something bigger. But it has to pay itself in some fashion to justify in my head because my M8 produces very well for me.
I want lots of things, especially photographic things, the question is what do I really need? If I know my clients will continue to be happy with what I'm delivering no matter how much I spend on new toys it's time for a reality check. Now if I pick up an ongoing piece of work that requires some new gadget that's a whole other story. The work has to come in first, you can always rent for the odd job or the first few shoots.

Guy Mancuso

That maybe worth trying David before putting money out for one. Really you just don't know until you try these out

fotografz

Stuart,

David
David, does the ZD back mount directly on the RZ Pro IID without an adapter?

And I presume you still need a need a sync cord running from the lens to the back ... or is that incorrect?

The RZ is still an awesome kit ... just wish they'd have brought out that 43mm for it. The Mamiya RZ lenses seem to perform very well with digital backs for some reason. I use an Aptus 75s on one and love it for product work in studio. Lots of cool special application lenses and adapters in that system.

Another question: will you eventually be renting the new 28mm and new "digital" zoom for the Mamiya 645AFD-II? At those prices I'd like to test it before committing.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
David, does the ZD back mount directly on the RZ Pro IID without an adapter?

And I presume you still need a need a sync cord running from the lens to the back ... or is that incorrect?
The ZD back needs the RZ adapter. With the adapter you do not need a PC cord. All the communication is electronic.

Another question: will you eventually be renting the new 28mm and new "digital" zoom for the Mamiya 645AFD-II? At those prices I'd like to test it before committing.
I do rent the new 75-150 "digital" zoom. I haven't yet put the 28mm into rental. It is a bit pricey. If there was enough interest in it, I might.

David

Guy Mancuso

David I may rent this for a gig on the 3rd of January. I will shoot the M8 as primary but would love to run it next to it and maybe I can do a nice test with it to post here. Seems like a lot of interest here in the MF forum.

atanabe

Buying back my 555ELD (or my 205 FE) and 2 Zeiss lenses would be pretty expensive so if I don't go with a new back I might go for a Mamiya RZ67 IID. The RZ lenses are down right cheap and really fantastic. I can get tilt shift, the bellows are great for table top and with a waist level finder and strobes it's not a problem to hand hold for me. With the big crop factor the standard 110/2.8 makes a great portrait/fashion lens. Finally if you want a rig that will impress the clients and can't be confused with their DSLR's the RZ is it.
Hank,
The prices on Hassey gear has bottomed and is now making an upswing. I too missed shooting MF and went out looking for used gear. Most of the equipment bought is in mint- shape and the total cost of the package is less than a comparable Canon or Nikon kit. My kit:
2000 FCW
38 SWC
50 CF
110 F
180 CFi
A12 back
A24 back
CFV 16mp back
Total outlay $11,000
Most of the CF lenses are under $1000, the 50 CF was $650. The CFV was a demo from Hasselblad with a 6 month warranty. The flight to DSLRs has made these fine pieces of machinery affordable. The weight of the kit is comparable to my Nikon kit (thank goodness for the M8).

Many dealers have last year's H3D 39 priced around $20,000, MF digital has become affordable . . . relatively ;)

Al

Hank Graber

Hank,
The prices on Hassey gear has bottomed and is now making an upswing. I too missed shooting MF and went out looking for used gear. Most of the equipment bought is in mint- shape and the total cost of the package is less than a comparable Canon or Nikon kit. My kit:
2000 FCW
38 SWC
50 CF
110 F
180 CFi
A12 back
A24 back
CFV 16mp back
Total outlay $11,000
Most of the CF lenses are under $1000, the 50 CF was $650. The CFV was a demo from Hasselblad with a 6 month warranty. The flight to DSLRs has made these fine pieces of machinery affordable. The weight of the kit is comparable to my Nikon kit (thank goodness for the M8).

Many dealers have last year's H3D 39 priced around $20,000, MF digital has become affordable . . . relatively ;)

Al
I was looking at the Hasselblad kit I had. 555ELD, 205 FE and the CFE, CFI lenses are going used for more then new (with warranty) Mamiya kit.