The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Studio shoot with DMR

fotografz

The ZD back needs the RZ adapter. With the adapter you do not need a PC cord. All the communication is electronic.

I do rent the new 75-150 "digital" zoom. I haven't yet put the 28mm into rental. It is a bit pricey. If there was enough interest in it, I might.

David
Thanks David. If you don't mind could you e-mail a rental sheet to me also?

EH21

Hi,
Coming into this thread a little late..... Getting back briefly to the DMR for studio use. I use mine along side my other cameras - the canon 5D and the Rollei 6008AF with P20 back. Just wanted to share a little experience with the forum. The DMR has about a 1.5 stop advantage over the Canon in DR and the P20 has perhaps 1 more stop (at base ISO) over the Leica. The Rollei P20 setup produces the best file only under certain circumstances, but actually the Leica DMR is no slouch and some of the lenses available for the leica such as the 80mm lux and 37-70 f/2.8 bring it closer to the Rollei and actually gives it an edge under some conditions. The Leica has better color than the canon particularly if you use Flexcolor to convert the RAWS and it can do things that the medium format backs can't do such as more rapid shooting plus its a lot lighter and can be used freehand easier. My rollei with 110mm f/2.0 sort of offers similar rendering but the DMR with 80 is only like 2 kilos while just the 110mm lens is like 2kilos (well okay only 1.4 kilos but that's still a lot). When I was only using the 1Ds and 5D in the studio it seemed like my 1200w/s profoto D4 was overkill and I often used the strobes dialed down to 8 w/s (the lowest setting), when I got the leica it took more perhaps 2 stops more. And with the Rollei - I'm finding myself maxing out the pack more often than I would have guessed. MFDB take more light. Base ISO is 50 or 25 and the DOF is much less. So depending on what you shoot that's worth considering.

Also it's pretty clear that with only 10 Mpix the DMR bests the 5D's file and is sufficient for lots of jobs. When I bought the Rollei/p20 I expected to sell off either the canon or leica, but actually realized I need them both. I expected to keep the 5D and sell the leica but what I've done is kept all three but sold the all of my canon glass except the TSE lenses.

Eric

fotografz

Hi,
Coming into this thread a little late..... Getting back briefly to the DMR for studio use. I use mine along side my other cameras - the canon 5D and the Rollei 6008AF with P20 back. Just wanted to share a little experience with the forum. The DMR has about a 1.5 stop advantage over the Canon in DR and the P20 has perhaps 1 more stop (at base ISO) over the Leica. The Rollei P20 setup produces the best file only under certain circumstances, but actually the Leica DMR is no slouch and some of the lenses available for the leica such as the 80mm lux and 37-70 f/2.8 bring it closer to the Rollei and actually gives it an edge under some conditions. The Leica has better color than the canon particularly if you use Flexcolor to convert the RAWS and it can do things that the medium format backs can't do such as more rapid shooting plus its a lot lighter and can be used freehand easier. My rollei with 110mm f/2.0 sort of offers similar rendering but the DMR with 80 is only like 2 kilos while just the 110mm lens is like 2kilos (well okay only 1.4 kilos but that's still a lot). When I was only using the 1Ds and 5D in the studio it seemed like my 1200w/s profoto D4 was overkill and I often used the strobes dialed down to 8 w/s (the lowest setting), when I got the leica it took more perhaps 2 stops more. And with the Rollei - I'm finding myself maxing out the pack more often than I would have guessed. MFDB take more light. Base ISO is 50 or 25 and the DOF is much less. So depending on what you shoot that's worth considering.

Also it's pretty clear that with only 10 Mpix the DMR bests the 5D's file and is sufficient for lots of jobs. When I bought the Rollei/p20 I expected to sell off either the canon or leica, but actually realized I need them both. I expected to keep the 5D and sell the leica but what I've done is kept all three but sold the all of my canon glass except the TSE lenses.

Eric
Makes sense to me.

I had to get a dual lamp Profoto key-light to pump out 4800 w/s from two D4-2400 w/s generators in tandem to get the DOF needed for MF Macro work with a H/C120.

What I haven't tried yet is the DMR tethered to Flexcolor. Don't know why it never occurred to me to try that.

PSon

Hi,

Eric
One of the problem with the Rollei system is not only the weight but the bulkiness of the camera. When I mounted the Planar HFT 2.0/110 PQ onto the Hy6, the ergonomic is much better.