The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

50mm Summarit vs Summicron for my M3

Frits

I recently purchased an M3 to satisfy occasional nostalgia :).
It came with a 50mm Summarit 1.5, which is in pretty good condition. To the naked eye it looks very good, but it does have the usual blemishes when you hold a penlight to it - but nothing disastrous.
I understand that the Summicron f/2 is rated to be better, but my question is: by how much? If the difference is really worth it, I would get myself a Summicron (rigid, I don't care for the collapsible nor the DR with goggles).

Can anyone who has experience with both please share observations, opinion between these two?

mathomas

I haven't had both, but I have owned a very nice Summarit f/1.5. I think it's safe to say that, today, the Summarit is considered a "character" lens (at least wide-open), and the Summicron is considered a "faithful" lens: sharper and more corrected.

I didn't love the Summarit on my M8, so I sold it. A bit later, I bought an M2 and wished I'd kept it for B&W film. I'd say keep yours for a while and shoot it at varying apertures to see how it works. It can produce stunning results wide-open or near to. Stunning, if you like swirly bokeh and low contrast.

Good luck!

Brian S

Stopped down to F4- hard to tell the difference in the images. Wide-open, the Summarit is soft. At F2- much improved.

Frits

I think it's safe to say that, today, the Summarit is considered a "character" lens (at least wide-open), and the Summicron is considered a "faithful" lens: sharper and more corrected.
That seems to be shared by many.

Stopped down to F4- hard to tell the difference in the images. Wide-open, the Summarit is soft. At F2- much improved.
That is very helpful. I am not a big fan of "wide open". If indeed things even out at F4, then I will be fine with the Summarit. The odd time that I would go at larger aperture would probably even be nice if somewhat softer.

Why not use it for some time and see how it works for you?
I would do that, but I will have an opportunity for a nice Summicron in a couple of weeks. I will try to shoot a bit by then, but it probably won't be much (very busy at work plus pretty drab time of the year).