The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adjusting Focus

R

roberth

Hello all,
Could someone please point me towards a thread for adjusting the focus of the M8. I do not want to send it in for adjustment, I still have a 50mm lux in for repairs, been 6 months now and I'm not prepared for the same wait for a returned camera body.
My 40mm f2 Rokkor focuses well, my Noctilux back focuses a tad, the brand new 75 cron I borrowed from a store in Sydney is so far back focused I'm in shock. I focus on something 10 meters away and subjects 15 meters back are in focus in the shot.

woodyspedden

Hello all,
Could someone please point me towards a thread for adjusting the focus of the M8. I do not want to send it in for adjustment, I still have a 50mm lux in for repairs, been 6 months now and I'm not prepared for the same wait for a returned camera body.
My 40mm f2 Rokkor focuses well, my Noctilux back focuses a tad, the brand new 75 cron I borrowed from a store in Sydney is so far back focused I'm in shock. I focus on something 10 meters away and subjects 15 meters back are in focus in the shot.
Wow

Sounds like your 75 Cron needs some serious attention. The slight backfocus of the Nocti is pretty normal as you can see if you go to the Leica User Forum and search the threads for Nocti focus issues. You will be inundated with responses because there has been much, much discussion about this. But 50% focus error with the Cron 75 would indicate to me that the lens is broken! Send it to your nearest Leica dealer and hope for good service.

Best

Woody

R

roberth

the lens is not mine, it is still owned by the shop (thankfully). I'm going in tomorrow to try out their range and see what happens, body or lens??. I treated this lens like a most precious jewel.
I do not want to start some mad M8 hate thread, just want to fix it and move on. If it is the camera then I will send it away if I have to, adjusting it myself would be good, I have time over the Christmas break.
So please just informative replies. Thanks Woody.

robsteve

Subscriber
Robert:

When you are in the shop, try one of the 90mm lenses on the M8. The 90mm is the most critical for focus. If the 90mm works better, the problems is with the 75mm.

If you can, try the 90mm at infinity. The location of the shop may not allow it, but see if the rangefinder aligns with the 90mm mounted and an object a km away or more.

Robert

S

Shootist

You might want to read this: http://www.dantestella.com/technical/leicadjust.html
Dante knows what he is talking about, so it is worth thinking about what he says carefully.
Although I do agree with that site in that IF your focus is really off or that a particular lens is off then adjusting just the wheel will not help for all lenses and will make it worse.
But if you have a set of lenses that do work correctly on another camera and not working, not focusing correctly, on one particular camera and you check them all for infinity focus and none of them make the image line on that camera then adjusting the wheel can bring it all back to a working state.
I just went through this with a black M8 that was returned from Leica NJ as fully adjusted and tested, or so they said.
When using any lens I have none of them focused correctly and ALL of them backfocuses. Checking the infinity focus turn up that none of the lenses made the overlapping images line up @ infinity. So a few movements of the wheel brought them all into working order.
Leica NJ must either have the worse techs or there reference lens, equipment, is way out of adjustment.

LCT

...But if you have a set of lenses that do work correctly on another camera and not working, not focusing correctly, on one particular camera and you check them all for infinity focus and none of them make the image line on that camera then adjusting the wheel can bring it all back to a working state...
OK but i would not rely too much on the Rokkor 40/2 if i were you.
See http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00M6Y5
In fact the Rokkor is my only M lens to misfocus significantly with both my R-D1 and R-D1s bodies.
Don't ask me why though.

R

roberth

the 40mm Rokkor may be one that you have trouble with but it focuses spot on for me, the Noctilux just a tad back focus at minimum focus distance which I am told is normal ( I don't like this type of normal).
Never the less, going in this morning and playing with a few lenses. I'll be back in a few hours with a verdict (and more camera gear no doubt)

S

Shootist

I have a Summicron C 40 and it focuses fine on both my M8's. It always focused well on the Chrome and now that I have set the infinty focus on the Black M8 it works just as well on that one.

R

roberth

it would seem the 75 cron was no good, tried another and it just slightly back focused, similar to the Noctilux really. If I approach my focsing from the infinity side, overshoot slightly on the near side and then go back to infocus I seem to get closest.

S

Shootist

Well I just received a second Leitz/Leica Crom 40/2 and it does not focus correctly. That was not stated by the seller and sold AS IS.
The problem is IT DOES focus but not anywhere near the distance settings on the lens. For a subject that is 5 feet away to get the lens to focus I have to dial in about 2.5-3 feet on the lens distance scale.
It will be going to DAG to see if it can be corrected. Other then that the lens is in A1 shape.

LCT

The Cron 40/2 should not focus as accurately as regular M lenses given its sloping cam i guess (here on a M4-2) but my 3 copies of it work fine with my M's as well as Epson bodies actually.