The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So, I'm doing the new shutter...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So I have decided to do the new shutter and frameline upgrade on one of my M8 bodies. I'll keep you all posted as to progress and experience. Not sure if this is the smartest move, so wish me luck!

:eek:

jlm

Workshop Member
i signed up for the same thing yesterday with NJ, was told they will call for the camera in december, and to allow two weeks turnaround

jm

Hacker

I was thinking the same, but would it just be better to get the M8.2 and sell the current M8?

jlm

Workshop Member
$3500 for the M-8, $6k for the M8.2 net $2,500 diff, vs $1,200 for the upcharges + 1 yr extended warranty

please feel free to correct my numbers

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The M8.2 is also black paint, not black anodized. You also get that fancy multi-shot jpeg mode in the M8.2, whatever it is.

My "logic" (probably seriously flawed) is 1, as John pointed out for $2500 I can either move up to one new body or get both my older bodies done and 2, right now both of my current bodies focus perfectly with all of my lenses and do not exhibit any weirdness on the sensor. Hence I *save* $2500 to stick with what I know works?

M

matmcdermott

I just scheduled mine as well, though putting it off for January as will be gone in December when they wanted to do it. Still considering selling the M8 (plus other gear that I've been meaning to rid myself of) and getting the 8.2 so I may cancel my slot between now and then.

PeterA

Jack,

I havent ever updated the original M8 firmware and wouldnt know how to do it. So dont listen to me about updating camera gear - usually I just buy something different cos I am a lazy dawg. -:)

I do know that the M8 files stand up to anything in 35mm DSLR land as far as nice happy snap type shots go. So I am keeping my old beater M8. I posted in another thread that Solms was able to fix my 35Asph lux chrome after it suffered a concrete fall and got sticky - so Leica arent all bad!

Looks like our friend Son is giving me a solution regarding view camera as well. and my Alpa Max is coming ( some time I hope)

all this is a nice distraction from the real world meltdown which I I wrote about a few months ago on here - fortunately I am just short and dont have to worry too much.. leaving that to other smart guys and gals...

Pete

fotografz

Jack, I just took delivery of a M8.2. I kept my one of my original M8s and sold the other.

I wanted to keep the option of 1/8000th shutter on the M8 ... for those really bright conditions with wide open apertures.

The one feature of the M8.2 that turned out to be more than I had hoped for is the delayed winding ... what I do not quite know is whether the upgrade also has this feature ... on other forums, folks said it does not.

I cannot tell you how much I like this new feature :thumbup: ... not only is the camera actually quieter than I recall my M7 being ... the process of pressing and holding the button as I turn away simulates the the "time process" of cocking the shutter of an analog M ... it actually effects the shooting experience to be that more decisive, "one shot" timing. :thumbs:

I also suspect that I can handhold this new M8.2 at a bit lower shutter speed ... (this remains to be seen.) I've set up the M8.2 with a Leica magnifier for the 35/50/90 lenses where I want better hand-held-ability ... and have a 1.15X mag on the other for the 24 & 28mm.

I am taking both cameras to a wedding tomorrow ... so I'll have first hand, intense experience by Sunday. :salute:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Marc:

Yes, I understand the modified body does NOT include the delayed wind option. I had considered that, and it was the only real advantage to buying the M8.2 for me, so decided I'd live without it and save the coin on this go-around.

Also like you, I was planning on keeping one body with the 1/8000th option for the times I'm shooting my fast glass wide open in daylight -- but even then I realized 1/8000th isn't always enough and an ND gets mounted anyway. At ISO 160, you need ~~ 1/20,000th for a BDE at f1.4, so 1/8000th is still over a stop off. Since I already carry a 3-stop ND, I'm thinking if I prefer the feel and noise of the new shutter, I'll do my second body too and then resign myself to using the 3-stop ND on the fast glass when needed.

Hacker

$3500 for the M-8, $6k for the M8.2 net $2,500 diff, vs $1,200 for the upcharges + 1 yr extended warranty

please feel free to correct my numbers
The difference is a used camera with less shutter counts left and a new one.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I would think so, since it is an entire new shutter assembly! There are more activations of the sensor however...

Bottom line, the issues addressed here are why I started the thread the way I did to begin with -- new versus upgrade is not an easy decision.

Terry

When you get the new shutter do they replace the top dial or does the 1/8000 stay but shoot at 1/4000?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I don't know, but would assume you get a new dial as part of your $1200 :) I'll let you know in a few weeks!

N

nei1

This is all way out of my league but had it been me Id have gone the other way and sold one of the M8"s and bought a M8-2.The way youve done it seems to me youve burned youre bridges,paid out a lot of money and still got 2 ageing cameras.Personally Id love to be able to afford one of those aging cameras but such is life.I have two film leicas an M6 and an M4-2 ,not worth a great deal but I dont think I could sell either.mind you Im spending a lot on lottery tickets,all the best,Neil.

K

K3N

When you get the new shutter do they replace the top dial or does the 1/8000 stay but shoot at 1/4000?
The top dial gets replaced with a new dial. There is a new 8s at the slow end to replace the 1/8000s. The new dial doesn't have the S mode, which the Leica M8.2 has.