The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So, I'm doing the new shutter...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am a lot less worried about actuations on the sensor than on an electro-mechanical shutter. Electronics are ridiculously durable.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
And FWIW, it is some of those other "experiences" we've heard about that tipped the scales in favor of me upgrading a body I know is good over buying new :)

A

Artorius

This is all way out of my league but had it been me Id have gone the other way and sold one of the M8"s and bought a M8-2.The way youve done it seems to me youve burned youre bridges,paid out a lot of money and still got 2 ageing cameras.Personally Id love to be able to afford one of those aging cameras but such is life.I have two film leicas an M6 and an M4-2 ,not worth a great deal but I dont think I could sell either.mind you Im spending a lot on lottery tickets,all the best,Neil.
I don't quite understand your phrase "still got 2 aging cameras". The only REAL difference between the two after the upgrade, is the delayed wind shutter, and the Snapshot mode, and the lower flash sync. The sensor, and all the hardware are the same. I am not including the Vulcanite, frame lines or the Black Paint options.
As for me, just before my warranty expires next year, I will probably do the shutter and frame lines. For now though, I am really happy with the way my M8 has been handling for the last year.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I agree with your logic Jack, I too will do the upgrade. For $1200 you get more warranty, the new shutter, frame line benefits and when and if the M9 comes along some of that upgrade cost may come back on a trade or sell.

Last edited:
N

nei1

Art,I supose different things have more or less relevance depending on how you work.The only thing worth paying for from my perspective is the delayed wind on,Im forgetting though how few moving parts the M8 has.,all the best,Neil.

jonoslack

Hi Jack
Me too.
I'll do it on my silver one (which is nearly 2 years old). My black one runs out of warranty next March, so I'll have a try with one and then see. I've also used 1/8000 quite a lot, but I can't remember really needing more (mind you we do live in England!)

I'd like the shutter re-cock option, but I'm not fussed about the other options on the M8.2 (and I'm not that fussed about the recock either . . . hiding the camera in your clothes after each shot can be as ostentatious as the 'ptoing' of the shutter recocking!

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Me? I'm keeping mine exactly the way it is. For my work, it is the perfect artist tool. I'll likely add an M 8.2 as soon as I can afford it both as my second body, and as a different artistic tool.

Paratom

So are you guys doing the shutter and framelines but not the display?

I have a hard time to make a decision here, between upgrading the shutter only, or shutter and framleines or all three or just getting a M8.2
However a loss of 2000€ is really crazy and hard to justify.
The noisy shutter however has never totally satusfied me.
Now if one let make the shutter its only 200€ extra for the frame lines... (However I am used to the one of M8 and never had a problem witrh them)
Now if one has two M8s - one with older frames, one with newer ones-this might feel weird.
And also if one has one M8 with the quiet shutter-would one want to still use the other body?

I really dont know what to do. My heart says to replace one of my 2 M8s with the M8.2, but my brain says no way to pay 2000€ (or more) for a little less noisy shutter and recock-delay.

Can anyone comment on the shutter-noise of the modified M8 vs the M8.2?

I am not that much interested in the 1 year guarantee- My theory is that a camera which didnt fail for 2 years wont fail in the third year anyways.
Cheers, Tom

N

nei1

Could some one illustrate the difference between the old and new frame lines?Is it just them being more accurate at 2m rather than 1m?If thats the case surely if you enjoy wide angle,21mm,24mm,its best to leave them set at 1m.Is there any difference in the frame set which I find confusing to look at? thanks,Neil.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I think the difference in framelines is minimal, but will be more accurate for most images. I shoot loose and leave breathing room with the M8 so that wasn't a biggie for me anyway, but I hope to get the framing feel back from the film bodies and am optimistic this mod does that.

As for the noise, framelines and bodies being different... I have decided to do both of my M8's for that reason -- I want them in synch. The new shutter is quieter and makes a different sound, so call it half the noise or maybe 60% of the old one. The release pressure is also softer and smoother, a welcome bennie IMO. Plus I figure for resale this should help as these bodies will also now be in synch with the M8.2...

Oh, and to clarify, I am only doing the shutter and framelines, not the LCD cover.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like the pipeline is filling fast, glad I got my two slots reserved early!

:),

harmsr

Workshop Member
I get to play with a new M8.2 this afternoon, so I'll let you guys know if I'm upgrading after that. Report to follow.

Ray

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I scheduled 2 of my M8 s for the shutter,frames and glass today. They gave me a tentative call date of end of Nov. early Dec. They said they didn t know how quickly they could do the service. The goal though is to only have the cameras for a few weeks once they call for them.

Seemed like a good idea as we should have some actual experience with the repair verse new by then .

harmsr

Workshop Member
Got to play with an M8.2.

The framelines are very accurate this time around. The 50/75 lines now are actually useable at all distances. The only thing that I did notice, is that there is a little correction issue of the image taken being shifted slightly right vs. what the frame lines show when in the 1-2 meter range.

The new shutter and discreet mode were really nice. You set the option in the menu to discreet and it old only winds when you let off the button. Shutter noise without the wind is very similar to my M7.

The EV comp with the rear dial is very useful. You press the shutter button approx. 1/3 and then spin the wheel, seeing the comp in the VF. Once you press to the half way point the top dot in the VF lights up and the exposure is locked in. Take the picture. The shutter button does seem smoother than my current M8.

I didn't play with the "S" mode as it doesn't really interest me.

I have to say that I like all the upgrades alot, but am still struggling on whether they are worth the money to me at this point in time.

Best,

Ray

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
AWESOME news Ray, especially on the framelines! Thanks for the update!

bradhusick

I just got my M8.2 and I have to say that the shutter in discreet mode is even quieter than my M7. The whirr still happens when you release it, but the click is REALLY quiet. I played with a prototype at PMA earlier in the year and it wasn't this quiet.

For those interested, the black paint is not as glossy as the MP black paint, but not as matte as the black chrome. I'd say it's right in the middle. The vulcanit is beautiful.

-Brad

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Instead of updating I decided to buy the M8.2 as well. It should be here next week. I can't really rationalize the extra expense other that if Leica keeps up with the upgrades I'm starting with the second generation.....sapphire back, ev comp, black paint, frame lines, shutter and crap. Maybe sensor upgrades are in the future??

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It's ba-aaaaaack :D

And how sweet it is!!! I can say it is so notably quieter and has a much nicer release feel, that coupled with the new framelines that actually now work like my film MP and M7's did, it took me all of twenty minutes to get my second M8 body boxed up and dropped in the FedEx overnight bin!

I want to use it for few days before I go so far as to say this is a "must do" upgrade, but for my money it is such a notable improvement in three areas the M8 really needed improvement, it already qualifies as a no-brainer...

Leica gets a big :thumbs: for this one!