The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So, I'm doing the new shutter...

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Fantastic news Jack. Sounds like an upgraded M8 is a viable option to an M8.2. I'm going to consider doing this myself.

Mike

charlesphoto

I called Leica NJ today to set up an appt. after going into my dealer and hearing the new shutter. IMO it makes it a whole new camera. And not just because of the decreased decibels but also a major decrease in vibration. Very pleasant (and the way it should have been in the first place). So quiet IMO that the discreet mode really isn't all that big of a deal.

I also found the new framelines to be quite accurate. Still a bit loose for my taste but really good overall (I only tested a 28 and 50). Overall both I and the dealer felt the build quality of the M8.2 to be slightly better. Hard to put one's finger on what it is exactly - just felt tighter. This was a silver model.

So I'm doing shutter and framelines. Maybe everything if some clients come through before it heads off. :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My advice for anybody wanting to do any of the upgrade options is to get your appointment set up well in advance. Leica has been careful to organize the reservation system to insure that each customer is without their camera only for the actual time required to do the update, hence the appointment for a future ship date to start the process. I understand they have been receiving a steady supply of requests, so the lead times may be in flux as these initial orders are being completed.

Regardless, I can tell you I definitely think it is worth both the time and cost required to participate. As Charles mentioned above, it's basically like getting a whole new camera :D

PeterA

Well since you insist Jack - I may send my M8 in for the upgrade along with instructions to replace the smashed and dented base plate and top plate and maybe I will ask them to upgrade the firmware at the same time. :bugeyes:

It will do till they bring out the proper FF M8te in a coupel of years time.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ah, the look and feel of battle scars; they do give an M character. I'm not sure I'd have them yanked mate ;)

PeterA

yes - if ther ewas an award for an M8 that no one woudl buy - mine woudl be it..but you are right..I have grown fond of the littel dings and scratches..I liek teh sounds of teh shutter improvement - that and the sill IR issue are the things that bug me the most.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
FWIW, I use the IR cut filters but do not have lens recognition on. I find it corrects out too much of the original Leica "character" for my tastes. Yes I miss having the exif data tag and I know this is a hugely minority view... But for me it is all about the image and how it looks and prints, and to my tastes leaving lens corrections off give that final image a lot more character :)

jonoslack

FWIW, I use the IR cut filters but do not have lens recognition on. I find it corrects out too much of the original Leica "character" for my tastes. Yes I miss having the exif data tag and I know this is a hugely minority view... But for me it is all about the image and how it looks and prints, and to my tastes leaving lens corrections off give that final image a lot more character :)
I think I might try this.

Incidentally, you just cost me €1300 with all your enthusiasm! (I also got the new LCD, it wasn't so much extra, and mine is scratched).

I've only done the silver one so far (I do also like the fast shutter for high light situations).

I've used the 'Express' method in Europe - it wasn't very obvious that it would be quicker, but otherwise they said it would be 'week 50'. . . . and with the pound going the way it is right now, that might just prove more expensive as well!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jono:

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the images after using the IR cut filters with lens recognition off.

Trust me when I say the $1300 upgrade will be worth the wait :)

jonoslack

Hi Jono:

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the images after using the IR cut filters with lens recognition off.
I'm interested - it really had never occurred to me. I have filters for all my lenses, because I found that greens for landscapes really weren't okay without them.

When I've finished playing with my 25mp toy I'll get on the case and have a proper look.

Of course, it also depends on what Aperture does with them.

Trust me when I say the $1300 upgrade will be worth the wait :)
As an honorable bloke (that's you, not me) I'm assuming that if I don't like it you'll reimburse me? (and it's €1300 not $). Maybe it would be more sensible if you just sent me the money now, and if I like the update I'll send it back to you?

I paid an extra bit for 'express' they picked it up and whisked it off to Solms this afternoon. I'm rather excited!

Paratom

I think I might try this.

Incidentally, you just cost me €1300 with all your enthusiasm! (I also got the new LCD, it wasn't so much extra, and mine is scratched).

I've only done the silver one so far (I do also like the fast shutter for high light situations).

I've used the 'Express' method in Europe - it wasn't very obvious that it would be quicker, but otherwise they said it would be 'week 50'. . . . and with the pound going the way it is right now, that might just prove more expensive as well!
Jono,
you will really like the new shutter. Last week I had a M8.2 in my hands and the difference in sound and feel of the shutter was very obvious so I decided to even replace on of my M8s with a M8.2 I love the new shutter, its like bcoming home (feels like my old M6).
Cheers, Tom

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
I just called today, and was quoted an end of November timeframe. If I can get it in this year I'll be thrilled.
Currently they are bringing in cameras from people who got on the list in August.

M

matmcdermott

Chris: Really? I was told December two weeks ago and postponed until January as I'll be away in December and want my M8 with me.

charlesphoto

Sarah at NJ took down my info last week and said they would get back to me. So far haven't heard from then. Do you know how long/when it is they contact you? She also mentioned it would be sometime in Dec. for the upgrade.

jonoslack

Hi Tom
I sure hope I like it, it's certainly expensive enough!

I'm doing it in Europe, and I have put it on Express (an extra €200, but I think it's only for European customers). I shipped it to Solms at 4.00 on Thursday afternoon, and had the 'quote' back from Solms after they had checked out the camera by 1.30 this afternoon. When I checked the status later this afternoon it said 'in repair'

I'll keep you informed on how long it takes. without the Express, they were talking about having it in December - I figured the way the pound was going against the Euro at the moment it might even be cheaper to pay the extra 200 now!

Last edited:

mwalker

Subscriber Member
My M8.2 arrived today, first off its a nice looking camera, the black paint, the vulcanite, black dot all look nice. The shutter is fantastic and worth the upgrade on its own, I like the ev compensation in the view finder and the frame lines are much better. I'm sure after a while I will appreciate the harder LCD...... All in all... quite nice.

jonoslack

I sent my M8 off to Solms last Thursday afternoon - I just checked the status on the Leica website:

Date State
24.10.2008 Service order registered on
24.10.2008 Quotation sent on
24.10.2008 In repair
29.10.2008 Repair completed
30.10.2008 Shipment in process.
:thumbup::thumbup:

I did pay the extra for their 'express' service (it seemed to me that the euro / pound rate might mean that if I waited until December, it might actually cost more than having it done now).

In the end I went for the whole shebang with the new LCD and the vulcanite (my screen was scratched).

I'm rather excited!

I had no interest in doing the upgrade until I got to try a M8.2 at ExpoPlus last weekend. The difference in shutter sound was significantly more dramatic that I had thought it would be. I quickly came to the conclusion the upgrade was worth it. Now I have to decide whether to upgrade or save the money to put toward an S2.

Mark

jonoslack

I had no interest in doing the upgrade until I got to try a M8.2 at ExpoPlus last weekend. The difference in shutter sound was significantly more dramatic that I had thought it would be. I quickly came to the conclusion the upgrade was worth it. Now I have to decide whether to upgrade or save the money to put toward an S2.

Mark
HI Mark
I had thought about this, and i wasn't really planning to do the upgrade straight away (until I saw Jack's comments).

But the S2 (at least at current prices) is too rich for me, I could probably find the money, but not really excuse the expenditure . . . it isn't so much the body as the inevitable lens indiscretions which would follow!

Jack - I will, of course, report back! Incidentally, did you go the whole hog . . I was thinking "don't need the LCD . . . . but then, mine is scratched" . . . . "don't need the vulcanite . . . but then the finish on mine has gone all smooth"

I thought that the 'slight signs of use' that Solms put on the quote was a bit of a 'slight understatement'. 30,000 clicks and a lot of time in my hands has left the corners shiny, and the baseplate battered. Rather like an old pair of jeans.