The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Leica itch, and the quest for a 35mm gem

dmeckert

thanks guys. such good helpful advice. :D

everthing has arrived, and is in great shape.

i nearly had a heart attack thinking the meter wasn't working, but the internets tells me that earlier M6 Classics had a meter that cut off when there wasn't adequate light by a large enough margin, but activated when you got closer. i replaced the batteries for peace of mind, and now that that's out of the way all seems to be well.

the small size of the kit is AMAZING. it's so much more compact than i ever imagined, even knowing the dimensions. but still feels wonderfully solid. the Zeiss focusing nub is a little odd, i have to say. haha.

i've got a roll of Tri-X in now, which i'll process and scan at work (high school art/ceramics/photo teacher) on monday, assuming i finish it over the weekend.

i'll post up any winners on monday or tuesday hopefully...in this thread, and maybe in the analog forum as well if they're worthy. haha. no real models planned...i'll just torture my friends, and maybe the occasional stranger.

dmeckert

Having issues with roll 1...the developer at school was in iffy shape, not to my knowledge (the other photo teacher - a painter - mixes the chemistry). And having a difficult time with the subtle curl of the film an the epson v700 film holder.

I may wet print and scan some, or just make crummy low res scans to share.

Very likely gonna send out all future film to my usual lab for dev and scan. (I'd get the BetterScanning ANR glass if I knew my job were secure).

Photos soon hopefully. :/

dmeckert

Also...a few observations from the first roll.

I question the accuracy of the meter...dunno of its typical of the M6 or just mine. Things seem a little underexposed generally. I'm guessing it's more an issue of learning the meter's tendencies and how it's weighted.

I got used to the basic functions pretty quickly. Still getting used to focusing with the smaller (though higher quality) RF compared to the fuji 690iii.

My only real gripe so far is the skinny focus ring on the 35/2.8 c-biogon. I'm used to thicker, and the nub on it isn't proving that useful. Considering moving to the 35/2 biogon if I can't adapt to it over the course of my first batch of film (about a dozen rolls). Though I do like the rendering of the c-biogon from what I can tell so far, and it's petite size.

250swb

Regarding the meter, use it as you would a hand held meter, take a reading from something, like grass. Don't point it at the scene in the viewfinder unless the scene is very evenly lit. Regarding curly film, try Ilford HP5 instead of Tri-X, it doesn't curl.

Steve

dmeckert

Regarding the meter, use it as you would a hand held meter, take a reading from something, like grass. Don't point it at the scene in the viewfinder unless the scene is very evenly lit. Regarding curly film, try Ilford HP5 instead of Tri-X, it doesn't curl.

Steve
Aaaah...I see.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll give the metering a try...and I'll pick up some hp5 in my next batch of film. Haven't shot a roll yet, but is the lack of curl specific to hp5, or ilford in general? I have pan f plus in this batch, apart from the tri-x, as well as a couple rolls of new portra 400. At least it's not efke...that stuff has a nightmarish curl.

Cheers :)

dmeckert

Not the greatest samples...but here they are none the less...

My bestie, with chicken soup:

His roomie's cat (as per tradition with new camera gear):

And finally, a bottle and a champagne flute that are completely unrelated:

Future film definitely going to the lab.

MikalWGrass

Let me congratulate you on your purchase, because this is one purchase that you will probably never regret. I have never used a hand held meter but the in camera metering has always been accurate to within tolerable ranges. Avoid the itch to buy more lenses. If the itch to buy faster glass must be scratched, so be it, but be careful. Again, congrats. And ENJOY.

I have a black M6 .85 TTL and a chrome M6 .72. I also have a Sony a900 with some mixed glass (minolta and zeiss/sony) but I prefer the Leicas to the Sony by a wide margin. If I could afford an M9 and pay for it without my wife finding out, I would probably buy one.

dmeckert

Let me congratulate you on your purchase, because this is one purchase that you will probably never regret. I have never used a hand held meter but the in camera metering has always been accurate to within tolerable ranges. Avoid the itch to buy more lenses. If the itch to buy faster glass must be scratched, so be it, but be careful. Again, congrats. And ENJOY.

I have a black M6 .85 TTL and a chrome M6 .72. I also have a Sony a900 with some mixed glass (minolta and zeiss/sony) but I prefer the Leicas to the Sony by a wide margin. If I could afford an M9 and pay for it without my wife finding out, I would probably buy one.

it just seems to want to underexpose a bit...but that could also be my staunch ETTR digital shooting habits coming into play. haha. gonna try a few different things with the 2nd roll, as per suggestions, and just playing around.

i may have to fight the itch to buy more. though the moderate magnification, and cost of magnifiers, will keep me away from fast portrait lenses i might otherwise lust after. i may end up with a faster lens...but less because of the speed, and more because the C-Biogon has a very skinny focusing ring, where the f/2 biogon has a little more real estate to work with. if i could afford a cron it would be a moot point. and i adore 35ish lenses...my fave is the fuji gw690 at 38mm equivalent, or so. *ignores itch for something wider...and something more suited to closer portraits...especially some of the 50 DRs going at reasonable prices* :p

i'm really enjoying it so far...the difference between the tri-x shot of my buddy, and what digital would've done, is pretty huge, i think. we'll see as i get a hang of shooting the leica, and using it in situations where i usually use digital, and have slow film done at the lab i like.

if i could afford an M9 without maxing one of my credit cards, i totally would. especially with the prices dropping like stones in anticipation of the M10.

dude163

I think you should buy a used m8 , then you get the digital convenience and the Rangefinder Leica experience .

dmeckert

I think you should buy a used m8 , then you get the digital convenience and the Rangefinder Leica experience .
That may happen at some point as well. I worry slightly about the investment aspect of the digital bodies though, since this is a planned time frame for now. (I could also just look at any depreciation as a rental fee).

Ive also been wanting to shoot more film lately. It has a charm all its own.

AND unless something goes horribly wrong...I will be teaching photo full time next year, and my job is safe. Found out on Friday. This means the v700 will be with me all summer...so the better scanning glass may be headed this way, along with some chemistry that won't be shared with 100 teenagers. Lol

rayyan

if i could afford an M9 without maxing one of my credit cards, i totally would. especially with the prices dropping like stones in anticipation of the M10.
Hello Daves.

My experience teaches me otherwise. M9 prices are not dropping like stones; dropping sure as with digital but not as other brands.

Without maxing out on cc! They must love you at your bank.

Enjoy what ever you get in good health and fortune. But pause before you commit.

Kindest regards.

dmeckert

Hello Daves.

My experience teaches me otherwise. M9 prices are not dropping like stones; dropping sure as with digital but not as other brands.

Without maxing out on cc! They must love you at your bank.

Enjoy what ever you get in good health and fortune. But pause before you commit.

Kindest regards.
By "like stones" I don't mean like canikons do, lol (I think I could get $800, if i were lucky, out of my well-traveled originally $2k d300 setup)....but I've seen a bunch of m9s for sale around 4.8k...where 6 months ago they were at $5.4k and last summer when I was looking $5800 was a great buy. Though they may be stabilizing, we'll see when the M10 is released if they creep down a few hundred more. Still way over budget...I like having 2/3 of my credit limit available. Haha!

For the moment, $100 gets me chemistry and ANR glass inserts for the scanner...which can also be used at school for advanced students anyway if I lose my mind and my will power. :p

Thanks mate :D