The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why the leica Hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I shall have to try not to be guilty!
Jono, on the contrary. Your enthusiasm for the M9 as a photographic tool was largely responsible for my conversion. How I've resisted the Noctilux, I'll never understand. Of course, if enthusiasm were the whole story I'd have an IQ160 (Guy), an S2 (Marc), and a half dozen D800s (everyone). :ROTFL:

--Matt

jonoslack

I get approached while working all the time, some big DSLR toting fellow steps up, whips down his virtual zipper and wants to compare cameras. I have taken to telling them what a fantastic machine they have, and how I wished I could afford one, and so on, then get back to work.
Marc
:ROTFL:

Yes indeed - there's nothing like a long lens to make you seem potent. . . . . but I'm afraid that 90mm elmarit M doesn't really quite do the business!:bugeyes:

The fame and fortune (or rather the price tag) of the brand works against it (at times) being used as a tool that ought to be.
Oh, one can be reasonably careful and still use it as a tool
I have only seen one M9 sold here that really looked brassed. I did congratulate that seller. :)
I don't really think there's anything to be congratulated about in brassing cameras, but I suppose it's inevitable in the end: my 3 year old is certainly brassy . . . Leica described it as
Top Plate Damaged
Extreme signs of Use.

I didn't really think it was THAT bad, but it's certainly got brassy corners.

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Oh I get even more attention with the arca rm3di in a too public spot.
Folks are almost always asking about the camera. I just wish they would stay away from the front of the lens :ROTFL:
Once when shooting with an M8 in Munich a small group approached and I overheard one lad explaining to the rest that nobody uses film anymore other than a few dedicated idiots :poke::ROTFL:
-bob

fotografz

Oh I get even more attention with the arca rm3di in a too public spot.
Folks are almost always asking about the camera. I just wish they would stay away from the front of the lens :ROTFL:
Once when shooting with an M8 in Munich a small group approached and I overheard one lad explaining to the rest that nobody uses film anymore other than a few dedicated idiots :poke::ROTFL:
-bob
LOL!

Yeah, I was once shooting in NYC with a factory fresh M6 Titanium, and a guy came up and sincerely said he was glad to see the old cameras still being put to use ... :rolleyes:

The only time an interruption was welcome was when shooting with an XPan, and an absolute babe on roller blades followed me to ask if that was the new XPan ... my wife came out of the shop she was in, and frostily told her it was :eek:

-Marc

seakayaker

. . . . . just thank the folks for taking the time and sharing their opinions with you and then move on. It is what you think and how you act that matters.

There are a lot of folks out there who will take time from you when you can just be enjoying life instead of reacting to something you can just let pass by.

jonoslack

. . . . . just thank the folks for taking the time and sharing their opinions with you and then move on.
You are so right - I'm not exactly in favour of the 'other cheek' principle, but answering rudeness with calm politeness is unquestionably better - better for your blood pressure as well!

Lax Jought

To he#l with them.
I completely agree with this.

Post that your pics were taken with a point and shoot. :)
I agree with this too. :D

I've never had camera envy hate mail. Sounds fun. Makes me want to buy Leica.
This made me laugh.

That was my friend's reaction when he found out how much my M8 was.
This made me laugh harder, awesome. :)

People can be and will be idiots and the internet makes it annonymous.
This is very true.

1. those who don't own a Leica
This is what I've found, I've been attacked too for owning a Leica and it's always from people who have never even touched a Leica, much less used one. Absolutely clueless, one of them was totally trashing rangefinder parallax like it was the end of the world, as if every photo that comes out of a Leica looks like it was taken from 50 feet to the right of wherever you're standing, making every photo unuseable.

Blow them away with your images, no matter what you shoot.
I agree with this.

dude163

on a positive note after I got my M8 last year I went into a camera store in the mall to look for a bag. Luckily the people working there actually knew photography so they were quite enthralled by the M8 ,then their boss came out

" Holy ****! is that A Leica? Ive read about them but have never seen one!" so I said , here take some shots , he took 2 or 3 and then " well I dont want to waste all of your film"
me " Oh , its a digital M camera take a few more I dont mind" after 2-3 minutes of oohing and awe-ing

him " this camera is F&*^king Fantastic!!" I actually laughed out loud as did all the employees.

Now everytime I pop in he always comes out to chat along with the assistant manager too.

So My Leica journey hasnt been all doom andgloom, just the internet *expert* part of it

charlesphoto

The question is if Leica is relevant today. To me it i really isn't- not as far as photography is concerned.
I'm sorry, but relevant to what? If a camera works for the type of photography you do then it is relevant, whether it be an 8X10 palladium or a Nex 7,8,9,10.....(and so on ad naseum). Considering Leica's recent sales the camera seems quite relevant to many and their methods of working (myself included). Maybe you need to stick to something instead of always after the latest greatest and make a body of work with it. That is relevance to photography.

MikalWGrass

I don't own a digital M but I own two M6s, one of which my father gave me year before he died. To me, that camera will always be relevant, regardless of what the haters, cranks, fondlers, and the jealous types say.

MikalWGrass

Sorry, I hit reply while reaching for my cell phone. I use the M6 all of time because it suits my style of shooting, and it allows me to do what I do. If another camera suited my style, I would use that one too.

And, if I had the jack available, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the M9.

Paratom

The fame and fortune (or rather the price tag) of the brand works against it (at times) being used as a tool that ought to be.

I have only seen one M9 sold here that really looked brassed. I did congratulate that seller. :)
Maybe the coating of the Leica is much better ;)

Even though I seldomly bring the M9 when I go MTB I have brought Leica stuff when hiking on mountains, when going on tent vacation, on the beach, when riding the motorcycle, in heavy snow. At one point I decided to insure all my photogear because I told myself that it doesnt make sense to buy expensive gear and then leave it at home to keep it in good condition.
However in 5 years I only had one "crash" where I had to ask the insurance for refund. So overall I should maybe cancel the insurance.

charlesphoto

Reason well used Leica M9's aren't seen for sale is because the owners are out USING them! Not selling them to acquire a Nex 7 or whatever. I have two M9's and if the time comes I will actually sell the least used of the two.

V

Vivek

Reason well used Leica M9's aren't seen for sale is because the owners are out USING them! Not selling them to acquire a Nex 7 or whatever.
I did not know that at all. :D

All I observed was, barring one well brassed up black M9, almost every other one for sale was "mint".

Brian S

An M9 and a Noctilux is a great addition for any pool party.

My friend's M9 has been through a lot, pool party was for relaxation.

Got the shot, camera came out soaking wet. Toweled it off.

Just to add- some users might buy an M8, sell it Mint, get an M9, sell it mint, get an M10... or whatever to have the newest camera without having used what they have. I ran into someone with an M3 that never used it to keep it mint. "Too nice to use" he said, when he saw my M3. I've used some of my cameras -a lot- for 40 years, and they still look new. I use a camera case, and try to take care of them. With digital, hard to justify "not using them" as things change so quickly. I'd feel worse denting up a Black Nikon SP than putting a dent in the M9.

emr

Well, frankly I think that one aspect of any high priced premium product (Leica, Porsche, B&O, jewelry, you name it...) is showing that one can afford such a thing. And that can cause attitude problems in other people who can or cannot afford that.

Having said that, Leicas seem to be great cameras in many ways. Great enough to justify such prices? That's up to each individual to decide.

Disclaimer: I don't own a Leica, I haven't touched a Leica, I couldn't afford one. Don't know if I would buy one if I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.