The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S3 at Photokina?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Good point Guy ...I forgot about the possible sensor issue . I have been asking around on this and my understanding is that a new sensor (e.g.Dalsa) would require significant modifications to the Maestro chip processor and firmware . This would not be good short term as leica may introduce something without having the post processing (LR) worked out . But this could be a driving force for Leica .

The other related consideration is that they just don t have the engineering capacity to launch an upgraded S model this soon.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You maybe right on that but these things also you can look elsewhere in partnerships to help you in the engineering. Roger you know as well as I leica is stubborn on this one and things have gone south like the DMR partnership but it is also a way to fast track things as well. We both know and I can read in your posts they need to do something special here. I could not agree with you more you just can't add things that are not major improvements in the system with just parts added only. They jumped in here and had a great start but to be completive they need people to buy in as well and with that comes technology advantage. I'm on there side , would love to see them pull a rabbit out of the hat again.

Paratom

For the last 10 years nearly each new camera model of nearly each brand had more MP and at least as good high ISO than the previous model.
So I guess if an S3 comes it is not so difficult to expect higher MP and eventually better high ISO.
I dont think it has anything to do with the D800. Everybody does it.

If you read some posts how great the 50 Summicron works on the D800,
if people use manual focus (how accurate is it on a 36MP sensor for any application where you cant use live view?) on the Nikon,
and if we keep in mind that the S-lenses are even better than the R-lenses (but they are AF and they are weather proof) than I think it is not the question how Leica can keep up with the high MP of Nikon, the question is how Nikon can keep up with the optical quality of Leica lenses - specially if Mp get more and more, and if we keep in mind that the smaller the sensor the better glass is needed to achieve the same final IQ.

fotografz

Mark

Wow did you not have you coffee before you posted ? The post had zero to do with creativity or frankly what any of us want or like . Who doesn t know that the equipment today exceeds most photographers abilities and often has nothing much to do with the final result ? Yet we enjoy messing with cameras and trying to get the very best out of our gear . When I can t get out shooting I enjoy debating the fine points of the equipment and the craft skills required to produce the best IQ you can.

When you start a post by accusing someone (me in this case ) of being skewed or having a superiority ,worry mentality ..how does that contribute ?

You frequently point out your superior background and knowledge from working so long as an art director and ultimately owning your own business. I applaud your expertise .

In this case my post was simply a prediction based on known facts and understanding of how manufacturing businesses make these decisions. I am pretty well qualified as I was a managing partner in a worldwide consulting practice that has 300,000 employees. I did exactly this type of manufacturing strategy for about 10 years and built factories from scratch .

It was often a requirement to work within severe constraints for skilled labor and equipment capacities especially in the smaller manufacturing environments . Leica has had great success in building cameras and lenses that are the envy of the industry . But they have limits as we have seen with the lens shortages .

So going into Photokina ...I thought it might be fun to think like the guy that owns the place. Like it or not the D800 has taken the wind out of the sail for the S2 . I call it disruptive because it offers a new alternative ...with strengths and weaknesses compared to other 40MP alternatives ..at a disruptive price point . Getdpi even has workshops on getting the most out of a D800.

If Leica does not introduce an S3 at Photokina ..will the S2 still be selling this time next year ? Maybe ..Leica could take a position of improving the heck out of the S2 with firmware enhancements and maybe even factory upgrades as Nikon did with the D3 buffer . This would make a lot of s2 owners really happy and maybe convince some new buyers to jump in . (I like this strategy as an owner of the S2 and all 5 lenses) .

But Leica has capacity to fill ....lets say 150 cameras a month ? (my guess) . So as a manufacturer ...I would want to use that capacity in a way that creates current cash flow and positions the company for future demand . To do this I believe they need an S3 with a higher MP sensor . Of course it needs to be better in almost every way ..ISO,DR,Color Depth .

How you use the prediction is dependent on ...do you believe it and how would this affect you . If not at all great . In my case I was hoping to get a 2nd s2 so that I could travel with just the s2 kit . And wow I can get some great deals from those poor soles that are worried about the loss of value ..but I will wait and see what actually happens .

And as I said up front its just a prediction based on my experience and pretty decent known facts . Leica often doesn t follow the script so who knows .
Roger, it was a generalized response not a personal one. I used the terms "we" not "you".

The intention of your post may have had zero to do with "creativity", but frankly I do not separate the tool from the task nor industrial predictions as they relate to those tasks at hand ... if we are talking about any subject involving the tools, I equate it to the reason it exists.

FYI, I have NEVER used the word "superior" in discussing my background. It's used only to establish the reasoning behind my opinion ... take it or leave it.

Your editorial comment regarding how the D800 has taken the wind out of the S2 sales is valid only to some, and is pure anecdotal speculation ... and it presumes that one buys into the final results ... which to date I do not ... M9 files aesthetically look better than anything anyone has posted from that camera, and to my eye, the S2 is M9 like only a bigger file. In my opinion (so far), the D800 is the Emperor's new clothes, and I do not care if a single person agrees with me. If anything, the D800 has confirmed my S2 decision, and I'm loving and using it even more. BTW, I am not alone in this opinion, just the vocal one.

To your direct question to "stay on topic" ... I ask a few questions in return.

Other than conventional thinking, why does Leica have to answer the D800 or any other? This presumes Leica sees the competition as being Canon, Nikon or Sony which they do not. Speculatively there may be a lot of folks on this forum susceptible to the Nikon approach, and many who are not here that do not. I seriously doubt anyone that opts for a D800 will suddenly become an S2 prospect.

The S3 or 4 or 5 will never be anywhere near $3,000, so how does that change anything? What would make any $28,000 70 meg S3 buyer think it won't be followed by a D900 with 50 to 60 meg for $3,000? History tells us this is likely given there are already 24 meg APSc sensors.

So, either one buys into an aesthetic look from a certain platform or they don't ... which (IMO) is a creative decision not a financial one.

Marc

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Ok you don t believe that the d800 will impact the sales of the S2 . I do . Leica produces (my guess ) not much more than 150 maybe 200 at peak S2 s per month . (M production is 1000 +) . I believe that the D800 will take some market share from the S line . Good point on the fact that even larger MP sensors may not be far off. But the S2 had a large easily visible advantage over the D3X ,with the D800 is smaller .

Equally important is that the S2 has been out a few years ...my 2 year warranty is up in January and I didn t buy right away . S2 sales are dropping off if for no other reason than (who wants to take the financial hit of buying an S2 a few months before a possible new model ). Used prices are down since the beginning of the year .

So Leica doesn t need to answer nikon but they need to decide what they will make in 2013. They can stick with the s2 , they can refresh the S2 with firmware,upgrades etc or they can come out with an S3 . (What else could they do ? )

Guess we will see in September . I am a sucker for the new camera introductions and I will be going . What ever Leica does with the s2 won t matter much to me ...I am pretty happy . But the M10 will be a different story and they have my attention.

Maybe I needed less coffee ..

It is fun to speculate on upcoming products. However, it is even more difficult when it comes to Leica because - well they are Leica and seem to march to a different drum in creating their own niche.

In my opinion Leica's biggest challenge at the moment is sensor supply and what to do about the Kodak bankruptcy/sensor business sell-off. Furthermore, I think the decision regarding future sensors (supplier, ccd, cmos, etc.) is going to have the biggest impact on what Leica releases next. The only other attribute which I think will drive the next Leica products will be uniqueness to set them apart from the others. That probably supports Roger's prediction for an S3.

jonoslack

It is fun to speculate on upcoming products. However, it is even more difficult when it comes to Leica because - well they are Leica and seem to march to a different drum in creating their own niche.
I agree
I also agree with Roger that the D800 will affect sales (but not just for the S2)
I don't really agree that upping the MP would make that much difference to the problem.
I can't imagine that many people bought the S2 just because it's 40mp. I'm not convinced that upping the resolution would help that much.

I think that Leica have realised that they simply can't compete in the mainstream selling German made cameras. simply upping the resolution won't change that.

pophoto

I am with agreeance that those who buy into the S2 were looking for the MF look and access to Leica S lenses.

I also believe the confusing ground is that while many photogs in the past weren't necessarily looking for the MF look and never really saw it to begin with, but rather wanted access to the resolution 35mm didn't have. With the D800/E that is there now. I also believe (carefully believing) there is no way to achieve the MF look in 35mm even with the D800/E or whatever else they will release in the future.

I say this with my eyes and what forums like GetDPI have shown me, even with early 22MP DMF cameras. At the end of the day creativity and it's tools can work hand in hand. However, no one would argue a great 35mm shot, yet on an average I might feel more blown away by MF shots. Again, the photogs committed into buying into MF skew this in MF's favor. At the end of the day, every camera (tool) serves it's purpose. The S2 simply offers what it does and the D800....you get the idea, the problem is the public who are confused by what they offer for whatever price.

So will the D800 affect the sales of the S2, perhaps, but 'time' is doing that anyway, and the D800 is the new guy in the Digital Camera would to offer above 30MP, and the first in 35mm DSLRs. Now what, owners of Leica don't really believe Leica dances a different beat just because the D800 is released, but shareholders might add pressure to this. It's all wishful thinking.

I personally wanted the Leica S3 the day after the S2 was released, since I couldn't afford it then. Then i saved up and when I was able to afford it, my money decided it should go somewhere else and now, I just sit back enjoy the photos taken by other S2 owners. The D800E started out as a great idea for me, and then I received my 5D Mark III and went to selling most of my Nikon lenses bar two and cancelling my early pre-order for it. Both are excellent and excel for what they are, again why one sells or doesn't just ends up as choice, we all have it, we just act differently to it despite the said marketing superiority DXO or whatever leaves us to believe.

Oh btw, tomorrow's dream is a MF 200MP camera that is noise free upto ISO 3200 and does 4 fps. :p

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
In my opinion, the deciding factor will always be what I see in the images. I love the current CCD sensor that they are using in the S2 as it really provides a look that is like an M9 on steroids.

With the DMR, M9 and S2, Leica has placed an emphasis on optimizing image quality with CCDs, limited filters and gorgeous lenses. It's been a fantastic combination. I've been a buyer because, for me, the Leica digital brand represents an almost fanatical attention to the final image. It might be an expensive proposition, but I'm willing to pay for the end result.

I have no crystal ball idea about what they will be doing in terms of future sensors, but my hope is that they error on the side of sticking to the signature look that has become their digital brand. Having followed Leica and it's obstinate nature in all things engineering for the past few years, I'm thinking they will.

My guess is that they've got something they're working on. I don't believe that they would have spent tens of millions of dollars on R&D without a sensor plan beyond what's currently in the S2.

atanabe

Agreed, Leica will come out with a replacement for the S2 be it at Photokina 2012 or 2014 or?? In the digital world, obsolescence starts at the introduction of the product. Will the value of my S2 go down - yes, as any computer does when the next new thing comes out. Will my S2 take crappy pictures now that the S3 is out - no. Will I be compelled to sell the S2 just to get the latest, time will tell but I think not. I love the images off the S2 as I love the images off of my 5.47 mpx Nikon D1X. There is something in the way that certain combinations of optics and sensors do the mystical, magical thing and produce images with character and soul. No amount of mpx will equal the emotional appeal that certain sensors can bring.

The D800(E) may have the mpx but does it have the soul? Will Leica lose S2 sales to the D800 - I think the market was saturated well before the D800 came out. Sales of the D800 are mainly to amateurs who want the best to shoot highly detailed shots of their dogs and pixel peep to their hearts content. I don't think Patek Philip cowers when Seiko comes out with a new quartz everything model that will tell time in 24 time zones. They market to a different audience with distinct differences. The resale market for S2 is flat because the target audience can afford to buy new and will buy new over buying used. Call it the "new car smell" effect.

I cannot call the plays at the Super Bowl and neither can I call the shots at Leica. One can wish that they listen to what users want and need and, at times, they have listened. So when they come out with a new mega expensive replacement for the S2, they will have to build a compelling story and I would not like to have the marketing guys job for that task. As I see the marketing position for the S2, it is placed firmly in the fashion photographers world. A fashion photographer could just as well settle with a DSLR instead. In fact Playboy magazine used to shoot their centerfolds on 8x10 then to a Canon 5D now they use an S2 but what is stopping them from going back to 35? More to the point they need to broaden their market. Kurt has shown some fantastic street work with the S2, Marc exhibits his talents with weddings, these are both areas that are missing in the marketing of the S2 and don't get me started on products and industrial work.

-Al

mtomalty

I'll go against the grain and speculate that no replacement for the S2 will be
forthcoming at Photokina.
Without doubt,the S2 borders on the perfect camera for some and I have been within
a hair of pulling the trigger a couple of times myself but I still can't see how it can be
anything more than marginally profitable for Leica and,as such, take the position that
new money won't be invested in the system......

Mark

fotografz

Ok you don t believe that the d800 will impact the sales of the S2 . I do . Leica produces (my guess ) not much more than 150 maybe 200 at peak S2 s per month . (M production is 1000 +) . I believe that the D800 will take some market share from the S line . Good point on the fact that even larger MP sensors may not be far off. But the S2 had a large easily visible advantage over the D3X ,with the D800 is smaller .

Equally important is that the S2 has been out a few years ...my 2 year warranty is up in January and I didn t buy right away . S2 sales are dropping off if for no other reason than (who wants to take the financial hit of buying an S2 a few months before a possible new model ). Used prices are down since the beginning of the year .

So Leica doesn t need to answer nikon but they need to decide what they will make in 2013. They can stick with the s2 , they can refresh the S2 with firmware,upgrades etc or they can come out with an S3 . (What else could they do ? )

Guess we will see in September . I am a sucker for the new camera introductions and I will be going . What ever Leica does with the s2 won t matter much to me ...I am pretty happy . But the M10 will be a different story and they have my attention.

Roger, here's a different perspective on your questions. Forgive the length, but I hope it sheds some light on what forms my opinion on all this:

I most certainly don't disagree that for certain target consumers, the D800 makes a lot more sense than a S2, or even a S3 for that matter. That has always been true about most any Leica product. Leica anything has never been a "practical" choice, and for the most part probably never will be. Witness the foray into excellent but more "practical" M optics that perplexed Leica with poor sales compared to backlogs on the ultra expensive lenses. Also witness the M9 titanium that did not offer any practical IQ performance over a stock M9, sold for a stupid amount of money, and was gobbled up in no time flat. These are hints as to what works for Leica and what does not. Exclusivity is the hallmark less than practical exercises ... in retrospect, "practical" cost the company huge amounts of money compared to exclusive products that injected high ROI almost immediately.

I am not privy to any hard S system sales data, so have no comment as to whether S2 sales are down or up compared to Leica projections, or wether Leica even cares. I do know for a fact, that Leica has made the decision to market differently, and competitive sets are NOT part of that new marketing position. Part and parcel of that decision is the short and long term impact of that change ... and I believe they are prepared to absorb the short range ramifications to construct that new long term vision for the Leica Brand. How many of us here are part of that new target audience is debatable. They are NOT moving toward the pond with all other brands, they are swimming even further upstream to cater to a smaller niche audience to become an even more exclusive brand.

Admittedly I do not have the production and engineering understanding that many including you may have ... however, from my years in marketing considered goods, I understand exactly what they are doing and frankly think they are dead-on right in doing it.

The above will have more influence on what Leica does next than anything other brands may do, or what we may think about it. It will depend heavily on what their niche target considers to be exclusive ... or how well Leica markets what they have to that new target, who doesn't consider their purchases with their wallet in mind as much as many of us do. If it turns out that the S line HAS to be 70 meg to appeal to that specific target, then it'll be 70 meg. I do know that such considerations have less to do with an exclusivity positioning than other aspects of a product offering ... which includes the actual buying experience ... thus the whole new way Leica will be sold in future at exclusive boutiques and brick-and-mortar stores in exclusive locations.

An interesting side issue with ultra exclusive products is the initial down-turn in resale value. Wealthy targets do not by used unless there is no other way to get something exclusive (witness the M lens shortages and used prices that people are willing to pay). Long term is a different matter as the residual effect of moving further-and-further upstream begins impacting the market.

As to more immediate S2 projections, Leica already has something in their hip pocket ... the ever elusive S leaf-shutter lenses. This aspect would further add exclusivity to the existing system, and placate many S users including me. I need/want/would use this more than more pixels or higher ISO. It is a huge factor for those who use lighting, and lighting is another aspect that has yet impacted S users (I'm writing a blog entry on the "creative" impact lighting can have on the S2 user, which is a growing niche in itself). I will be VERY miffed if they announce a new S camera before fulfilling the SC lens trade-in promise which was a MAJOR factor in my buying into the S system.

I'm sure there will be an S3, and it will employ new tech ... whether existing S users will ALL be the target is debatable. Those that sold everything they own to get a S2 may not be able to pony up the price ... again. However, if they are satisfied with what they have as it relates to their creative needs, it won't make much difference.

-Marc

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Al, I agree about the missed marketing opportunity. I understand the need to place the camera into the hands of fashion photographers to try to demonstrate the pedigree of the system. But I'm at a loss for trying to understand why Leica hasn't promoted other uses for the camera more extensively.

First, there are plenty of M shooters who might've been more tempted to kick the tires of the system with some promotional support showcasing the system as an aspirational big brother with weatherproofing, autofocus lenses, etc. With the climb of Leica M lenses, sacrificing a few M lenses could put an M user or frustrated R shooter close to the purchase of an S2 body.

Second, there are plenty of photographers who have used medium format during their lifetime who've dismissed using the format for a range of photographic styles outside of the studio because of an impression that the format is too cumbersome ... or that the cameras aren't up to the task. The S2 rocks the house in this regard. Weather sealing, an easy user interface, malleable files, and lenses that are amazingly sharp wide open make it much, much more than a studio camera. But, when you look for Leica's promotional materials, web presence and social media endeavors involving other uses, they are frustratingly quiet. Don't even get me started on the whole S-League aesthetic.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
They are NOT moving toward the pond with all other brands, they are swimming even further upstream to cater to a smaller niche audience to become an even more exclusive brand.
And, they are swimming in the opposite direction ... east. Interestingly enough, I spent a few days in Hong Kong several weeks ago. Sheltered Midwest boy that I am, I had never seen a Leica retail store. But, in Hong Kong I was able to walk through one at the airport, one in Hong Kong and another across the harbor in Kowloon. Each was ensconced with all of the other high-end global brands in retail locations conveniently located near high traffic hubs where mainland Chinese buyers could walk in and purchase whatever they needed ... in cash. I inquired about a micro prism focus screen at each location and was met with blank stares. They have a little work to do on product line accessories in the retail stores, but the Leica brand is alive and well in SE Asia. And that's without taking into account all of the camera stores selling part of the Leica line in the infamous camera shops along Nathan Road.

Paratom

I would also expect an anoouncement before the end of the year.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Of course no one really knows what Leica will do or even how they will decide.

The new stores are clearly part of much broader “go to market” strategy . Bringing together retail with galleries and akademie plays well to the Leica experience . The S2 is one of Leica s two flagship products along with the M . I can t argue at all with this strategy and it speaks to the relevance of the S2 line beyond just its direct financial contribution.

But the other driving force for Leica in the next few years will be the move to Leica park in Wetzler . This requires a slightly different set of issues short and long term . You could argue that Leica can afford to lessen the challenge of a new plant start up by allowing the S2 demand to fall off somewhat . Maybe the new CS lenses will draw enough new customers to the product to offset the natural decline as a product ages .

Increasingly I see Leica s product strategy being driven as much by “what can we actually make “ verse what does the market want or how the giant firms are approaching the market . For example ..why introduce new lenses when you can t fill existing orders ? (CS lenses are a different category ) . Can we create a partnership to support an EVIL introduction? Will they stick with the Kodak spin off for sensors ?

I am being convinced by the counter arguments that maybe Leica will hold off on the S2 replacement at Photokina and concentrate on the M10 . It will cost them some sales short term but that may not be all bad considering the difficulty of the move to Wetzler Park . But I am still betting on 70+ MP for the S3 whenever it arrives.

Expresso seems next on the agenda .

fotografz

Al, I agree about the missed marketing opportunity. I understand the need to place the camera into the hands of fashion photographers to try to demonstrate the pedigree of the system. But I'm at a loss for trying to understand why Leica hasn't promoted other uses for the camera more extensively.

First, there are plenty of M shooters who might've been more tempted to kick the tires of the system with some promotional support showcasing the system as an aspirational big brother with weatherproofing, autofocus lenses, etc. With the climb of Leica M lenses, sacrificing a few M lenses could put an M user or frustrated R shooter close to the purchase of an S2 body.

Second, there are plenty of photographers who have used medium format during their lifetime who've dismissed using the format for a range of photographic styles outside of the studio because of an impression that the format is too cumbersome ... or that the cameras aren't up to the task. The S2 rocks the house in this regard. Weather sealing, an easy user interface, malleable files, and lenses that are amazingly sharp wide open make it much, much more than a studio camera. But, when you look for Leica's promotional materials, web presence and social media endeavors involving other uses, they are frustratingly quiet. Don't even get me started on the whole S-League aesthetic.
Kurt, read my recent response to Roger. It helps make it clearer why Leica has fixated on "Fashion" as the centerpiece visual presentation.
Fashion exudes "Exclusivity, and does it exceedingly well with their new intended Brand audience. From a marketing perspective, it is actually smarter than you may think it is, even though it isn't your cup of tea.

As photographers with a decent amount of time using the S2, we both know it is capable of much more. I also shoot street with it but less than you because I still tend toward the M for that. Where it has leapt forward for me is actually in the semi-fashion type work and use of lighting ... both for some wedding work, and especially new revenue streams from vanity shoots I'm doing in-studio and on location often employing more sophisticated lighting techniques ...which is where the S2 really shines, and many S2 users here on GetDpi don't do much of. That the S2's form factor has promoted that usage has made it more viable than say my H4D/60. Leica does need to get the CS lenses to market soon to further promote this type of useage IMO.

-Marc

Here are a couple from a very recent wedding shoot ... not everyone's cup of tea, but the client was floored by them, and purchased very large prints on the spot.

Last edited:

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Very nice shots, Marc. I love seeing how others use gear and mold it to their own vision. I'm a complete simpleton when it comes to lighting, but I can see where it can be a great way to differentiate and bring in new revenue streams.

Shashin

The consumer group for the S2 and D800 are not the same. They don't even go to the same country club or car dealers. To say the D800 will rob Leica of S2 sales is like saying the Hipsamatic will rob Nikon of D800 sales. Anyone willing to put $30K down on a camera is not looking for a cheap alternative. And those looking for the best bang for the buck usually don't look at Leica.

If the M10 is coming out this year, I am not sure Leica will also be investing in an S3 release. I think they would want to wait for a little return on one camera before going to the next. I also think they may want to beef up the S2 line of lenses, although with the release of lens adapters it seems Leica is saying the lenses will be slow coming.