The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon LTM lenses on Leica M6

S

sully75

Hi there,

Considering a Canon LTM lens on a Leica M6. With a good adapter, can you expect the rangefinder to be accurate? Are you able to max out the capability of camera and lens?

I bet this has been covered somewhere else. If you have a good resource, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your help.
Paul

Brian S

I use a Canon 50/1.4 on the M3 and M9, also with a Canon P and Canon 7. Works perfectly.

With a Canon lens: be sure to inspect the inner surfaces, looking for Haze on the surface behind the aperture. Make sure that the glass is not etched. Some of the lubricants used on the Canon lenses seem to etch the glass. My 50/1.4 is "Perfect", but I've seen it happen on other canon lenses of the same vintage.

HenryFool

I used the canon 50mm 1.2 on my M6 and got brilliant results, on the M8 the focus was slightly off though, I went through loads of different adapters thinking that might be the issue but it wasn't.

Leicadoc

Plus 1 for the 50/1.2.
Great results on my old M7 and M8.
I don't still have it, but I'd go back if needed...

Brian S

On the Canon 50/1.2: be sure to have an inspection period. The glass behind the aperture is susceptible to haze, etching, and cement discoloration. I've seen all three: the etching can be a lens-killer and oil seeping into the cement of the group behind the aperture decreases contrast, shifts color. It is common with Canon lenses that used a type of glass introduced about the same time as the switch-over to Black focus rings. Does not happen to all of them, but I've had multiple 50/1.2's and 50/1.8's with the this problem.

Hausen

I have the Canon 50/1.4 and 35/2.8 and used 50/1.4 almost exclusively while I was waiting for my Summicron 50 to arrive. Is a superb lens. on M6 and M9.

PatrickCheung

I second the Canon 35/2. It's my favourite lens on the M8... I can't pinpoint exactly why, though I can say that there's a certain... something... to the photos it produces.

I used the Canon 35/2.8 before as well, the newer black ring one. Quite the lens, if you can find one for cheap. Though, I'd save for the 35/2 if you're not in desperate need of a 35, or if you can spend the cash on it.

I also used the Canon 50/1.8 serenar (the chrome version). I liked it better on the Canon 7 than I did with it on the M8... It looked a little sharper on film than it did on digital, I just generally liked the film photos more. A great value lens, good image quality, fast, though... the lens is a little heavy. If you don't have the money for a 50/1.4, or the 50/1.2, then the 50/1.8 is a great, cost-effective alternative. I only sold it because I wanted a Summitar.

I really like Canon lenses. There's just something about them that's really cool. Maybe it's their physical look... and the look of the images they put out. They generally have great image quality and can be had for much cheaper than a Leica, or Zeiss lens.