The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Polarizer for M8/9

RAM

These seem pretty expensive even used. I used them extensively with film but that was before LR etc. Do you M shooters recommend using a polarizer over post production with LR etc, if so why?

RAM

Thanks Double Negative, great info. But still no answer as to whether post processing is as good as using a polarizer for M?

thrice

It is impossible to replicate any (except saturation) of the effects afforded by a polariser in post-production.

I use either a screw-on B+W linear warming pol, or the glass out of a 77mm kaesemann linear polariser in the lee RF75 holder when shooting landscapes.

Double Negative

Not Available
^ What Daniel said. You can bump up the saturation, but it's not the same - and there's nothing you can do about glare and reflections.

RAM

Thats great guys, that is the info I was looking for. And many thanks for the reference to the Lee RF75, looks like just the ticket for landscapes with the M.

Does anyone have any pics with this system on an M?

RAM

Daniel,
Thanks - seems to be a nice and compact system. Would you be able to post a photo or two using the filters?

fotografz

I do, sorry it was taken with my phone:
I'm curious. How does this work? How do you tell if you have it set where you want it?

The M polarizer quickly flips up, rotate bezel, and you can see exactly the degree of flare or specular highlight control you are employing ... flip back down to preserve the setting.

(Click pics for larger view)

-Marc

Double Negative

Not Available
My guess would be to slide the filter out a bit (enough so that you can look through it to gauge the effect you want) and slide it back in for the shot.