The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So? 5/10? no announcements?

dude163

Seascape, you could shoot a lot of B+W rolls for the price of a M9M! and I fear the M6 will outlast any digital M body ( fear for me owning a M8 , not your M6!)

Seascape

Seascape, you could shoot a lot of B+W rolls for the price of a M9M! and I fear the M6 will outlast any digital M body ( fear for me owning a M8 , not your M6!)
Hey I own an M8 as well :rolleyes:

After today's announcements, I think I can save a lot of money doing very acceptable B&W images on the M8.

rayyan

why did they include silver efex pro 2 with it?[/QUOTE

To give the look of various B&W films. Why else!! Isn't it wonderful.

p.s i am still unsure about the sRGB space. Why? To convert to color, or is it because Nik cannot work on monochrome images? I am
curious.

dude163

Cant I just save 7700 bucks and buy Silver efex pro 2 for my M8 though?

or buy a M9 and shoot in both? I dont understand the allure of a B+W sensor.

V

Vivek

why did they include silver efex pro 2 with it?[/QUOTE

To give the look of various B&W films. Why else!! Isn't it wonderful.

p.s i am still unsure about the sRGB space. Why? To convert to color, or is it because Nik cannot work on monochrome images? I am
curious.

As I posted in another thread (or is it here?), the output is not truly monochromatic just so that the Nik filters can be used. This is one of the reasons. The other one is a clever one that benefits the potential buyer, cost wise! If it had been a true monochromatic output, the price would have been >2X (not including the Leica premium!) for the same reasons an Achromatic+ back is so expensive. Such sensors would need extraordinary QC and many have to be rejected before the actual one has to be chosen.

So, in fact, Leica appear to have made an affordable monochrome camera. It is quite clever on their part.:thumbup:

monza

Not only that, but just incremental engineering expense to launch a 'new' product. The bulk of R&D, tooling and other costs have long since been spent, and this 'new' product will be acquired by many of the existing M9 customer base. Sell a second essentially identical camera to existing customers who otherwise probably would only buy one M9...brilliant. :)

V

Vivek

Exactly right, Robert! The same of everything!

Where is Roger who prophesied this very thing? :)

peterb

Is it me or, considering all the hoopla and build-up (special invitations from Solms to attend a special event in Berlin. Oooooo May 10--M10--get it? could be a big announcement) is the X2 about the lamest improvement in a camera I've ever seen. I mean it's not horrible I'm a subscriber to Sean Reid's website and he posted a preliminary review of a pre-production model he had access to--the images were just so-so. Nothing eye popping like the Fuji X Pro 1 had reviewers crowing. Just a well made camera that just seems rather so-so. Nothing that rocks me as I had hoped or was anticipating. Again, the X2 isn't not bad mind you but from all the build-up I was expecting something that would really be something else. Like the M9 was when it finally emerged from a company that said it could never be done.

So what have we got for your (thank God they didn't add another grand for this thing as some rumor blogs had hinted) $1995? Slightly better-not outstanding mind you--AF that's still not even close to what's possible in a CDAF camera. A larger sensor that's on a par with everyone else's 16.2 MP sensor (Nikon, Fuji, Sony etc.). An EVF that's also on a par with everyone else's (read Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus) BASIC EVF--again not bad but no winner (although Sean read did note that Leitz lowered the contrast in the EVF so high contrast scenes won't be so blown out like others EVF's apparently do). STILL no AF point in an optional OVF. And no way to know when using it when the camera has locked (let alone on what!). Also, is it me or does the EVF seem rather disproportionate for the body. Like some big honking tower. (Maybe in person it won't be so bad but from the photos alone it looks a little on the ugly side.)

No doubt there will be some who will flock to get this new iteration of the X1. And they will be happy within its limitations. I think man waiting on a fence in indecision about whether to get a Leica X2 with all its flaws or a the X-Pro 1 with all its flaws will find their decision is quite simple now. And who knows? Maybe the the NEX 5N tricked out with its EVF will win some more adherents.

As you probably can tell I was so hoping the revised X2 would have been so much more. Improved image, vastly improved AF, and a finder solution that would be a true Leica tour-de-force catching all of us off guard and putting anything else to shame. But Leica seems to have played it safe with what appears to be a very so-so offering for the money. I just hope it doesn't cost them too much in future solvency. Despite what I may have written here, I really like the them.

douglasf13

I hear you, Peter. I'll probably get flogged for this, but, if you were to lay the X2 and a NEX-7+ Sigma 30/2.8 on a table, and told me to choose either for free, I'd likely choose the NEX. Heck, I might even choose the NEX-5N+EVF over it.

monza

Shoot, even a 3 or 5 with the Sigma lens...

The X2 is a non-starter. As Roger stated: "The X2 is futile ...an evolution when the competition is sprinting?"

Seascape

Not only that, but just incremental engineering expense to launch a 'new' product. The bulk of R&D, tooling and other costs have long since been spent, and this 'new' product will be acquired by many of the existing M9 customer base. Sell a second essentially identical camera to existing customers who otherwise probably would only buy one M9...brilliant. :)

Well.......not exactly identical, they left out the Bayer filter :eek:

monza

Yes, of course. Not to mention the 'retro' black chrome finish...probably cheaper to produce than black paint.

rayyan

Vivek, thank you for that explanation. Indeed very clever.

Cant I just save 7700 bucks and buy Silver efex pro 2 for my M8 though?

or buy a M9 and shoot in both? I dont understand the allure of a B+W sensor.
It really comes down to what you prefer in terms of look. Some swear by film. Others prefer the convenience and advantages of modern digital sensors.

And your ability to pay for the privilege of owning beautiful crafted tools.

I would have to wait for reviews of the newly announced M9M and it results.
It might be an exceedingly marvelous tool, for those that can afford it and use it to its potential.

For me results from a film Leica and/or Nikon plus Efke 25/50, processed, scanned, and printed on appropriate paper are a joy to see and hang on the wall.

The C41 b&W films are what I usually carry when I travel with film. Properly
processed and scanned; they are beautiful. And relatively cheap.

M8 is a wonderful B&W tool. And so is Nik software.

Leica is not in business to cater to the mass market. That has never been their business model. Whether the cost of the M9M is justified or not is for the buyer to decide. For some it shall be. For me, I have other alternatives. But I shall be glancing at the M9M with my charge card ( not my cc ) at the ready.