The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M Monochrom . . . . it's not a review folks

D&A

so Jono...aside from contributing a review, wee you able to provide any feedback to Leica to assist the development of the camera?
I bet Jono had hammer and screwdriver in one hand and M9M in the other, all ready to show Leica he's ready and "in the know" in just what is required to assist them in the camera's development :). I also noticed those birds (ducks) in one of the last images shown in your "write-up", are sort of lifeless...is this the way our subjects will be rendered when shot (no pun intended) with this new camera...LOL!

OK, I couldn't resist trying to inject a little humor into this post this morning but seriously, as was mentioned in one of the contributing posts here, I too would love to see comparisons of nearly identically taken images with the M9 and M9M with the M9 converted to B&W with Silver Fast....at various ISO's camera settings and of course alternate Nik developing styles. I have no doubt Leica did this comparison during the development of the M9M, but I think this may be one of a number of important questions that many have, who might be sitting on the fence with regard to purchase.

Jono, I equally enjoyed both reading your written description of your experiences with the camera and the lovely images accompanying your article...not only for the technical aspects of the M9M's output but the actual composition and subject matter displayed in those images. Thanks very much Jono for sharing all this with us!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

rayyan

...And that (of course) is the biggest flaw with the M9M, the lack of ability to decide when to shoot colour and when to shoot black and white.
It is not a flaw actually. It was designed as such. Intentionally. Rather clever,
I think.

scho

Jono,
Marvelous set of images from tour China trip. You seem to have mastered Henri very well.

fotografz

I bet Jono had hammer and screwdriver in one hand and M9M in the other, all ready to show Leica he's ready and "in the know" in just what is required to assist them in the camera's development :). I also noticed those birds (ducks) in one of the last images shown in your "write-up", are sort of lifeless...is this the way our subjects will be rendered when shot (no pun intended) with this new camera...LOL!

OK, I couldn't resist trying to inject a little humor into this post this morning but seriously, as was mentioned in one of the contributing posts here, I too would love to see comparisons of nearly identically taken images with the M9 and M9M with the M9 converted to B&W with Silver Fast....at various ISO's camera settings and of course alternate Nik developing styles. I have no doubt Leica did this comparison during the development of the M9M, but I think this may be one of a number of important questions that many have who might be sitting on the fence with regard to purchase.

Jono, I equally enjoyed both reading your written description of your experiences with the camera and the lovely images accompanying your article...not only for the technical aspects of the M9M's output but the actual composition and subject matter displayed in those images. Thanks very much Jono for sharing all this with us!

Dave (D&A)
Especially some comparitive shots at ISO 5,000 and 10,000. Oh wait ... :rolleyes:

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I know this sounds so unLeica but rather just have the M9 and convert when I want. What happens when you really want color. I know I know you can start throwing the rocks at me. I'll go back to not posting now. Lol

Godfrey

In honor of the M9 Monochrom, I just fitted the first roll of XP2 into my 'new' 1971 Nikon F plain prism and stuck the Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 on it. Let's see where the next 24 exposures takes me. :)

V

Vivek

Base ISO is 320. Isn't that another clever thing from Leica?;)

Start high and you can reach 10,000 in fewer steps. :)

Double Negative

Not Available
Well, the increased base ISO makes sense because the sensor captures about one stop extra due to the lack of a bayer filter.

ISO-by-ISO, the MM is much cleaner - even up to 10k. Though one should also point out that the lack of COLOR noise helps - it's purely luminance noise.

larryk

It's always amazing to me that someone would lament the inability to shoot in color when they mainly want to work in B&W most of the time. Why? Anyone who can afford a $7000 Leica M or the new monochrome only version for $8000 can easily add any outstanding digital color camera from $400-$1000 (the new Olympus 4/3 OM-5 comes to mind, just rated at 80% by dpreview compared to 82% for the new Nikon D800). Is there any Leica M photographer out there that does not have a backup, cheaper digital camera already? Why not separate the two (like film) and take color with one and B&W with the other?

cam

i am a bit stunned and amazed at how few people get what a big deal this camera is for b/w shooters, especially those who often shoot in very low light situations.

this is an total dream-come-true and i could give a fig about lacking the choice to convert to colour. when i shoot, i shoot for black and white period. i look at the light, at the composition, etc., just as if i was shooting b/w film... i don't want colour, ever, to distract me. i even shoot b/w jpegs, despite the waste of space and processing time, so if i chimp or show an image, there's b/w on the screen.

the shadow detail that you can pull from the camera is absolutely stunning and unlike anything i can get from the M9 at 2500, even shooting with an f/1 lens, unless there's really an awful lot of light (which is often not the case).

i love love love Jono's images because they show what is possible from the camera. they're not over-processed or stylised and really show the capabilities of the sensor. it makes my head swim! with files that flexible at 6400, what can't i do?

this is a camera i can't afford to get but, also, a camera i can't afford not to.

i am over the moon.

thank you, Jono. and, whilst i probably should buy you a lobster dinner for this, i'm afraid Micky D's will be the only affordable restaurant for me in the foreseeable future :p

Terry

It's always amazing to me that someone would lament the inability to shoot in color when they mainly want to work in B&W most of the time. Why? Anyone who can afford a $7000 Leica M or the new monochrome only version for $8000 can easily add any outstanding digital color camera from $400-$1000 (the new Olympus 4/3 OM-5 comes to mind, just rated at 80% by dpreview compared to 82% for the new Nikon D800). Is there any Leica M photographer out there that does not have a backup, cheaper digital camera already? Why not separate the two (like film) and take color with one and B&W with the other?
small point...you can't compare 80 for OMD vs 82 for D800. The numbers are independent since the cameras live in different categories and ratings are relative to the category. Don't get me wrong the OMD is very good but it isn't 2 points different.

woodyspedden

Honestly, so far I'm not impressed by the images I've seen from this camera (and I'm not singling you out Jono). Seems to be a lot of blown highlights and washed out areas, and nothing that couldn't have been done just converting an M9 file (and maybe better).

Could just be a matter of one having to be really careful with exposure (esp highlights) and working it hard in post (just as one had to do in a darkroom). That said the 6400 shots are pretty amazing, but not enough for me to shell out $8K. Will be interested to try one for an afternoon sometime - Ashwin? Problem is, I find the colors of the M9 to be so fantastic I rarely want to shoot (convert) to b&w anymore!
Given that SilverEfex 2 can be used post camera processing for the M9, I agree.

To me the camera feature that is going to make it sell is the ability to go to ISO 10,000. That you can get no other way and I think it is very important. Jono's images shot at ISO 6400 proves this to be real. JMHO

Woody

Terry

i am a bit stunned and amazed at how few people get what a big deal this camera is for b/w shooters, especially those who often shoot in very low light situations.

this is an total dream-come-true and i could give a fig about lacking the choice to convert to colour. when i shoot, i shoot for black and white period. i look at the light, at the composition, etc., just as if i was shooting b/w film... i don't want colour, ever, to distract me. i even shoot b/w jpegs, despite the waste of space and processing time, so if i chimp or show an image, there's b/w on the screen.

the shadow detail that you can pull from the camera is absolutely stunning and unlike anything i can get from the M9 at 2500, even shooting with an f/1 lens, unless there's really an awful lot of light (which is often not the case).

i love love love Jono's images because they show what is possible from the camera. they're not over-processed or stylised and really show the capabilities of the sensor. it makes my head swim! with files that flexible at 6400, what can't i do?

this is a camera i can't afford to get but, also, a camera i can't afford not to.

i am over the moon.

thank you, Jono. and, whilst i probably should buy you a lobster dinner for this, i'm afraid Micky D's will be the only affordable restaurant for me in the foreseeable future :p
Cam - I had you figured for a good candidate for this camera. Micky D's isn't so bad....they have salads now.

Peter Klein

The outstanding things about the M Monochrom appear to be:
- A bit better resolution than M8/M9.
- Vastly improved high ISO
- Vastly improved shadow detail even at high ISO
- Noise at high ISOs is very film grain-like.
- Tonality in the lower tones looks better than M8/M9.
- Less need to shoot wide-open, can use "sweeter" f-stops in moderately low light.

Counterbalanced by the cons:
- No highlight headroom. Expose carefully.
- No color (will be an advantage for some, disadvantage to others).
- No PP color filtering, must use traditional filters at exposure.
- May need an ND filter for bright sunshine.
- Wide-open bokeh nuts will need to stop down a little, which will kill them :)
- The price is bleeping ridiculous, but this is Leica, so we knew that.

I love B&W. The pictures from this camera are beautiful. This camera interests me far more than the possibility of upgrading my M8 to an M9. If I had 8 kilobucks of disposable income, I'd buy one in a minute. Since I don't, I will continue to shoot my M8 and convert to B&W in Capture One.

Jono, the picture of the elderly Chinese man relating to his comorants is a once-in-a-lifetime, beautiful, decisive-moment shot. Truly on a par with the "real" Henri. You can be *very* proud.

--Peter