The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M Monochrom . . . . it's not a review folks

charlesphoto

Honestly, so far I'm not impressed by the images I've seen from this camera (and I'm not singling you out Jono). Seems to be a lot of blown highlights and washed out areas, and nothing that couldn't have been done just converting an M9 file (and maybe better).

Could just be a matter of one having to be really careful with exposure (esp highlights) and working it hard in post (just as one had to do in a darkroom). That said the 6400 shots are pretty amazing, but not enough for me to shell out $8K. Will be interested to try one for an afternoon sometime - Ashwin? Problem is, I find the colors of the M9 to be so fantastic I rarely want to shoot (convert) to b&w anymore!

ashwinrao1

LOL. Charles, you know me well. I'll certainly want one, and should have the funds by July to actuate my desires....

If it works out that I can get one, you are more than welcome to take it for a test drive...I too am concerned about blown highlights, but then again, seeing the ISO 5000 images on Sean Reid's site leaves me wanting it to see what I could do with that and fast glass...

Peter Klein

Great job, Jono, you really showed us the place and the people while putting the camera through its paces. The camera is well beyond my means, but it looks like Leica made a wonderful instrument. (Note to self: Be nice to Ashwin, maybe he'll let me try his... :ROTFL:)

OlliL

Great read Jono! :)
Now I'll go through the pictures, but they're already promising!

I'm pretty interested in seeing Silver Efex converted images from the M9-M, compared to those from the regular M9. Maybe, if you can put something up later? ;)

rayyan

Excellent images and educated words from the field. But one has come to expect that from Jono.

Welcome back and thank you.

Do I need it, the M9-M? Many do. Do I want it? Maybe...the waiting list here is not too long. I have time to digest the information.

Take care Jono.

dhsimmonds

As our Dutch friends would say "now the monkey pops out of the sleeve".:D

Well done Jono, but I don't think that I will be putting my Silver Efex Pro plug-in away just yet! ;)

Braeside

Thanks for posting Jono. I had guessed you had it because you mentioned you had been forced to use Lightroom for a camera recently.

Tried any tricolour photos with it using RGB filters?

V

Vivek

I hope it is not inappropriate if I link one of your images here,Jono.

That is worth more than any words. Well done! :clap:

J

jto555

Nice shots, however I think they would have look brilliant in colour! And that (of course) is the biggest flaw with the M9M, the lack of ability to decide when to shoot colour and when to shoot black and white.

The M9M may cost more to buy than an M9 but I bet the resale value will be lower.

fotografz

Thank you Jono, Lucky you!

A few questions, if you have a moment.

Does the Mono camera have a LCD highlight warning ability?

Did you work with any of the DNG images in Nik Silver Efex ... specifically any of the film choices that provide various tonal curves?

By chance did you use any color filters to mitigate dominate color responses?

How did you find the LCD resolution to work for B&W? I am a bit disappointed that Leica chose to not upgrade the LCD res.

-Marc

jlm

Workshop Member
so Jono...aside from contributing a review, were you able to provide any feedback to Leica to assist the development of the camera?

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Great work Jono!

All reviewing and testing and samples.

If B&W would be my thing, I would be excited. But given the IQ you can get already with most of today's color versions of digital cameras, at least I for myself cannot find any justification to invest into an M9M.

iiiNelson

Great Images Jono. I'd go out on a limb and say you just single handedly sold at least 25 M9-M's with your pictures.