The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What If Leica M Mono and Silver Efex....

dude163

The users still have to pay for the prints though dont they? Unless Leica is throwing in a few free prints :)

Fred those shots are great and your reply is well thought out....However , the original poster had the convenience of carrying just a small M body and lens kit and was on vacation, your shots are carefully preplanned and setup with pro models ( well they look like that to me, great stuff!!)

The more I have thought about the M9M I think its a brilliant idea, but a flawed execution , if it was priced at 5000 instead of 8000 i'd bet that a lot of the Leica users would grab one in a heartbeat , and saying that, I think it will still sell a lot

Biglou

A question i dont see adressed yet, is the M9M making the same noise as M9 ?
As i see it the greatest interest of this camera is its high iso capability but i find my M9 too loud for concerts, danse, opera and so on.
So i keep using my M7 in those occasions when i want to stay unnoticed and do not disturb.
What about the M9M ?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Newsflash ...Leica doesn t want to sell a lot of M9M s. In less than 6 months the Solms will be producing M10 s and Portugal will be producing E1 s . Two new factories to bring up and one to close down . Leica will be constrained by capacity in every area over the new 12-18 months .

This is about product positioning and IMO its a superb strategy . As demand falls off for the M9/M9P because the M10 is coming....the factory will produce 1500 M9M (thats my bet ) . This will supply the hard core Leica aficionado and the real B&W pursuit (with enough $$$$) . This doesn t look at all like a product that will sell in any quantity for years into the future ...but rather as a special item built in small batches .

They look to have set the price perfectly to achieve the desired demand . If you can only make so many then set the price where it helps position the brand for the future . This will create enormous pull into the new stores . I want to go see some large gallery prints .

Plus watch the Leica Akademie gear up for workshops and classes on classical black and white photography .

This is what I consider one brilliant strategy .

V

Vivek

Roger, You already said this well ahead of the M9M release. Makes perfect sense!

What is an E1?

quadtones

I agree, it's not something I can imagine selling thousand of units. On the other hand, were there an upgrade potential for M9/M9P....