The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Steve Huff on Leica

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
He has been for years... and the photos confirm my suspicion that the MM is going to be a great camera.

Bob

V

Vivek

Bob, I did not know. This is the second time I read an article on his blog.

He has a wonderful knack trying to appeal to anyone and everyone! :thumbup:

The first time I read was through a link posted here on the SLR magic lens.

He wasted no time in promoting that with the M9M as well.

Isn't it something that daylight photos can be made at T/0.95 aperture at a base ISO of 320?

docmoore

Bob, I did not know. This is the second time I read an article on his blog.

He has a wonderful knack trying to appeal to anyone and everyone! :thumbup:

The first time I read was through a link posted here on the SLR magic lens.

He wasted no time in promoting that with the M9M as well.

Isn't it something that daylight photos can be made at T/0.95 aperture at a base ISO of 320?
He commented that it was raining...probably late afternoon and a bit darker...
but yes one wonders what the F stop was...

I have been struggling to learn video...lots of Grad Density filters....

and the SLR Magic lens looks very good...wonder if it will hold up over time.

Bob

docmoore

It is rumored that he was a bit chaffed that Leica did not ask him to preview the camera....

Bob

PatrickCheung

Steve Huff's blog is always a pleasure to read, and his images are a pleasant addition to his well written articles. Though, I must say... he seems to like every camera he reviews! That said, his reviews are very complete, all-encompassing, and the best part is that he follows them up with updates as he uses the products more. He's like a more reliable, somewhat more likable, Ken Rockwell!

rscheffler

Steve Huff's blog is always a pleasure to read, and his images are a pleasant addition to his well written articles. Though, I must say... he seems to like every camera he reviews! That said, his reviews are very complete, all-encompassing, and the best part is that he follows them up with updates as he uses the products more. He's like a more reliable, somewhat more likable, Ken Rockwell!
He has stated he won't post reviews for equipment he doesn't like.

As for being chuffed at being snubbed by Leica regarding the MM, I think that's pretty obvious. You should read Lloyd Chamber's comments on his inability to get an MM, let a lone a press release from Leica about it. It seems Leica was fairly selective in who they provided pre-release MMs.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It is rumored that he was a bit chaffed that Leica did not ask him to preview the camera....

Bob
"Rumored"? :ROTFL:

It's written in neon lights between every line and between every character. But he punishes them using a Hyperprime, doesn't he :)
Great writeup though, and exactly the kind of photos I like to see with this camera.

V

Vivek

Bob
What rumor? Steve has been wonderfully expressive in his thoughts in a nice way. I really dig the writing style. :thumbup:

dude163

I like Steves Blog/site along with Thorsten Overgaards , they tell the truth IMO about gear and they dont pull any punches . Plus they are genuinely enthused about photography in general .

Ken Rockwell on the other hand seems to be a knobhead , he talks about how he needs cash to support his family but he also has this website : Porsche Cayenne Turbo S and a section about the mercs he owns( owned?)

Car Reviews

He does have some valid points and I do go there for a chuckle, but Steve and Thorsten seem like they would be genuinely cool to hang out with over a coffee/beer and chat about photography etc . With Ken I think youd be embarrassed to be around him ( I may be wrong however)

Plus I used to live in San Diego for 10 yrs ( 1980 to 1990) and that was before I was into photography ( couldnt afford it!) so Im jealous of Ken :(

Millsart

So strange the world we live in these days. Used to be people had to be a staffer a major magazine etc to get products to demo, but these days Joe Anyone, assuming they get enough page hits, suddenly is a viable marketing opportunity all the camera companies need to send products to.

Its instant celebrity status if you can get your hands on the next big camera release before anyone else and post a few images of it.

Seems we, as in the online collective of photographers who read very forums like this, just can't wait to get any and all information possible.

I'll admit, like many here, to even visiting some Chinese and Russian web forums because I heard they had a link with image samples of camera XYZ.

Can't understand a word of text, but ooooooo and ahhhhhh sample images at high ISO.

Its kind of like we are a bunch of teenage girls that have to pick up the latest gossip magazine to see who so and so was reported to be dating or pregnant LOL.

Such is the internet I guess

k-hawinkler

From reading Steve Huff's writeup it's pretty clear he doesn't seem to be connected to the inner Leica circles. I doubt his writeup will have improved his influence.

K-H.

Hosermage

From what I read on Overgaard's website, doesn't look like he had a copy to play with either. I don't feel Leica's looking for celebrity bloggers to promote the camera (the cameras sell themselves), but perhaps more people they can trust to give real feedback on the working of hardware/software.