The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Steve Huff on Leica

D&A

Its kind of like we are a bunch of teenage girls that have to pick up the latest gossip magazine to see who so and so was reported to be dating or pregnant LOL.
and to think, many of us never understood why they (teenage girls) did this...LOL! Now we know (and in a way are guilty of doing it ourselves):ROTFL:

Dave (D&A)

ramosa

My favorite two review sites are Steve's and that of Thorsten Overgaard. I find Puts to be too much into curves and other technical aspects, and while I tend to like Sean Reid's reviews, you need to pay for access, and I really don't like how his site requires using flash.

Amin

Disclosure: I like Steve and enjoy his writing, his photography, and his site.

The Leica event reminds me a bit of an Apple event. Steve Huff went there with a CV lens on an Olympus camera. When he had a chance to use the M Monochrom, he put the Hyperprime on it, a lens which he favorably compared to a Leica IIRC.

On the one hand, I think these choices reflect his integrity. On the other hand, it's unrealistic to snub Leica and then protest (I'm reading between the lines here) their treatment.

Again, I'd make the comparison to Apple. Walt Mossberg and David Pogue get all the stuff early because they behave themselves. What are the odds you'll see Walt bringing an Android tablet to the next Apple event?

jonoslack

Disclosure: I like Steve and enjoy his writing, his photography, and his site.

The Leica event reminds me a bit of an Apple event. Steve Huff went there with a CV lens on an Olympus camera. When he had a chance to use the M Monochrom, he put the Hyperprime on it, a lens which he favorably compared to a Leica IIRC.

On the one hand, I think these choices reflect his integrity. On the other hand, it's unrealistic to snub Leica and then protest (I'm reading between the lines here) their treatment.

Again, I'd make the comparison to Apple. Walt Mossberg and David Pogue get all the stuff early because they behave themselves. What are the odds you'll see Walt bringing an Android tablet to the next Apple event?
Hi Amin (author of my discontent!):p
I quite agree about Steve: interesting, entertaining and well intentioned- - - But I'm quite sure that if you brought an Android to an Apple event you'd be dead meat.

I have a clear recollection of a four way conversation with a senior Leica guy, Steve, Me and Jaap about the SLRmagic lens (laughter and much criticism of the name). I don't think it'll be held against him - maybe I was a chicken in that my OMD was left firmly at home (it seemed to be beside the point)!

all the best

V

Vivek

Hi Jono,

An opportunity missed, I think. The OM-D, with an R and M adapter. It would have been great to ask for an AA 50 to check how it does on the OM-D with its 5 axes of stabilzation as well.;)

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

An opportunity missed, I think. The OM-D, with an R and M adapter. It would have been great to ask for an AA 50 to check how it does on the OM-D with its 5 axes of stabilzation as well.;)
I'll certainly try the combination if I get a chance Vivek . . . but I'll do it quietly in Suffolk - no need to do it at a Leica jamboree.

having said that - they're very aware that the huge explosion of mirror less cameras is doing them good.

One surprising thing I was told by someone who certainly should know, is that the sales of the X1 were modest until Fuji release the X100 . .. at which point they increased a great deal.

Expanding a market can be good for everyone!

V

Vivek

One surprising thing I was told by someone who certainly should know, is that the sales of the X1 were modest until Fuji release the X100 . .. at which point they increased a great deal.
I certainly can believe that, Jono!

k-hawinkler

"quietly in Suffolk"

That's the only way to go if you want to maintain excellent relations, really with any firm.
Please, let us know what you find out, if you can.

K-H.

V

Vivek

While I understand and fully agree that it would be uncouth to carry an OMD and such to Leica event, "quietly" anywhere and posting images/tests/"reviews" online isn't really quiet is it? Just thinking out aloud that is all.:angel:

rayyan

I was brought up that respecting one's hosts is more than a simple courtesy..
it is a duty. I have passed on the same teachings to my children and they, theirs.

Whether it be a conference or a small supper at my neighbours. It has served my well.

retow

Showing up at a Leica event with an Oly and a third party lens is just like pulling out and lighting a cigar at a non smokers home.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

gosh, what you folks are saying here is really scary

does it mean I cannot wear my own cheap watch if I participate in an Omega event ?

does it mean I cannot arrive in my own cheap car if I participate in a Volkswagen event ?

or use my own cheap mobile phone or cheap tablet at an Apple event ?

or bring my own cheap camera at a Leica event ?

etc. etc.

you make it sound like a religious meeting :shocked:

Hosermage

Steen, sure you can, but you shouldn't complain if they don't invite you again... It's your prerogative to do what you want, but it was a media and social event, so I feel it came off as a bit insensitive.

I can't remember exactly, but I recall seeing an image of someone handing Bill Gate (or was it Steve Ballmer) an apple product to autograph on. Ah... here it is, internet never fails: Steve Ballmer's shocking autograph of MacBook Pro caught on video -- Engadget. I hope you appreciate the irony.

Brian S

Nothing compared to the shock that Grace Hopper had when I asked her to autograph my IBM Mark I manual.

"Where the Hell did you get This!"