The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking for recommendations for Wide angles for M8

sjg284

ZM25 but that will probably blow your budget.
Zeiss lenses are definetely a notch above most of the Voigtlanders.
I tried 28mm first on my M8, but found 25mm to offer a better view.
I shoot 25/35/50 currently.
If you want to go really wide, there's always the cheapy Voigtlander 15mm, which is great.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
PS : My budget is , how shall we say, *elastic*

so a new Zeiss 25mm would be a better bet than a used Elmarit 28/2.8?
If your budget is 'elastic' definitely consider the Zeiss ZM 25/2,8. If you prefer 28mm focal length, Zeiss ZM 28/2,8 and Konica M 28/2,8 are both excellent performers. The Konica M 28/2,8 has similar if not the same optical formula as the Leica Elmarit 28 pre-ASPH. When I had my M8, the VC 28/3,5 was my standard lens. It's a very good lens but hard to find.

Cheers,

MCTuomey

ZM Distagon 18 f/4 is superb on the M8. So are the ZM 25 f/2.8 and, even better, the Elmar-M 24 f/3.8 ASPH, but neither give you much elongation and "real wide" feel on the M8. If you want that real wide feel, and want to save $$, I second the VC 15 M-mount version. No, it's not a Zeiss, but it's plenty good.
--Mike

Last edited:

dude163

Thanks for all the suggestions gang, so it appears that if you go to wide or ultra wide, the choices arent limited to just Leica!

Ill keep saving and scouring the for sale section and see if I can come up with anything decent.

Thanks again

PatrickCheung

rob rob rob!

You know how much I love my Canon 35/2, right?

And I found a good deal on a Zeiss 28/2.8 here in hong kong... might pick it up while I'm here... figure out how to pay for it when I'm back! I took a few test shots with it... and now I can't stop thinking about it. It was a pleasure to use, and the photos it creates are just beautiful. Pretty much no distortion at all.

The CV 28/3.5 I've been using is pretty great as well, though... they're a little rare. I find that despite being labeled as a color skopar, the colors it produces are kinda wonky on the M8. Though, I don't code or use UV filters. I'm also slightly colour blind. It's a great, inexpensive, extremely compact lens.

dude163

Bought a skopar classic 35/2.5 with adapter , so now Ill try a CV lens and see how it fares , with teh adapter I can use my dads old zorki lens too, a 50mm/2 jupiter 8

ramosa

well the latest ASPH is definitely outside of my stretched budget :(
it's a solid lens on the M8, depending on what rendering you like. its rendering is definitely more like the new asph lenses than the pre-karbe leica lenses. i love the size of it, but not the rendering so much. but IMO perceptions of rendering are quite personal.

dude163

well this is sort of a litmus test, if I like the rendering and feel of the CV lenses I can get more, if not Ill resell it :)

dude163

The guy was in the middle of moving , so it didnt get shipped until a week or so ago , so we are trying to figure out where USPS has it.

iiiNelson

ZM25/2.8 and ZM21/2.8 if you haven't already bought a wide lens.

Don't sleep on the Zeiss or Voigtlander lenses. Some of them are excellent performers. Some of the them I actually prefer to the Leica lenses at times for certain applications. The Voigtlander 35 Nokton II is amazing by any means no matter the label of manufacturer as is the Zeiss 25/2.8 (tried in a store) and 50/2 Planar (own and will never part with as long as I have M-mount cameras.) I've also owned the CV 50/ 1.5 Nokton and 28/2 Ultron (decent if you like 28.)

That being said Ido love the Leica lenses I bought too but that's not to say they are above and beyond everything else.

Double Negative

Not Available
What did you find nicer about them? Supposedly the optics are identical, just the mounts were updated.

I don't have the older models to compare to, just curious.
The older ones are just a bit smaller, using more brass than alloy. The hoods are smaller (as well as the caps) and finally, I like the aperture rings better.

But you're right - optically they're identical.

The one big difference is the 4/25 - the new version is RF-coupled whereas the old one (Snapshot Skopar) was not. It's the one Skopar I don't have. :)