The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X2 any thoughts??

V

Vivek

The NEX-F3 (will be announced thursday) which has the same sensor and is a lot cheaper and allows change of lenses. That is the camera to look for. It would also be offered in many colors.

The X2, I have zero interest and I wish Leica success with it. :)

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I have the silver X1 that I really like. Among all the APC sensor sub-compact that I have been using so far (X1, GXR, and NEX-5N), I prefer the images produced by X1. If Leica improve the AF speed on X2, I will get one for sure.

Moonshine

Thank you Ocean, that was a pretty informative review. Is the black x2 with the leatherette and not the chrome/silver?

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
My silver X1 doesn't have the leatherette cover. I would like to have the leatherette cover on the silver body.

dmeckert

^^^

used M8s can definitely be had under $2k. i've seen a number of them go on fred miranda and ebay around $1700-1800.

the lens cost...well...yeah. there's always zeiss for a kit around $2500 total.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
meh...not interested. Leica could have done better...
Not that I am too interested, but actually Leica always could have done better - also WRT M9, S System etc.

So actually the X2 is pretty intriguing for me, because it is a pretty compact camera delivering Leica like IQ. Other than this IQ I think any Olympus m43 camera (EP3 or OMD) is lightyears better and much cheaper.

Still the X2 is kind of attractive for me (gear head) :)

retow

Still, there is no jacket pocket size alternative delivering comparable IQ. If this matters, the X1/X2 wins.

dave.gt

What does everyone here think about the new Leica X2? Also does it look better in black or silver?

Hey, Moonshine...your first post and my first post here!

The X2...looks super for me. At the moment, I am working on getting a pair of used X1's for an upcoming documentary. While I had fallen into the trap set by so many about expecting interchangeable lenses, etc., I am really quite happy with the specs of the X2. It will be awhile before I actually purchase an X2, probably next year after the usual firmware updates.:)

I will be thinking more along the line of black as I prefer two cameras set up for shooting without menu changes/film changes. So, for color images, I prefer to use the silver/grey bodies and for black and white images, I use the black bodies.

Limitations? Sure. But then, every camera has limitations and it is up to me to make the images I want while enjoying the gear. I am happy.;)

RAM

X2 does not seem to get much respect - why not? Is it just because it has a fixed lens? IQ at least of the X1 seems very good and X2 maybe better. What is the beef?-

Moonshine

X2 does not seem to get much respect - why not? Is it just because it has a fixed lens? IQ at least of the X1 seems very good and X2 maybe better. What is the beef?-
my sentiments exactly!

I just got out of the M system because my weak eyes couldn't focus the rangefinder well which is why i'm looking into the X2...it seems to be a good all round camera with great IQ.

Moonshine

Hey, Moonshine...your first post and my first post here!

The X2...looks super for me. At the moment, I am working on getting a pair of used X1's for an upcoming documentary. While I had fallen into the trap set by so many about expecting interchangeable lenses, etc., I am really quite happy with the specs of the X2. It will be awhile before I actually purchase an X2, probably next year after the usual firmware updates.:)
you could still update the firmware as you go along :)
if all my M stuff sells I'll get one soon!
Good luck on your documentary!

Godfrey

my sentiments exactly!

I just got out of the M system because my weak eyes couldn't focus the rangefinder well which is why i'm looking into the X2...it seems to be a good all round camera with great IQ.
I have no problem focusing the M. I don't know why the X1 and X2 raise so much antipathy.

I spend most of my time shooting with either M9 or GXR-M using a single lens anyway. A black X2 appeals to me a lot: the controls and size, the focal length too, are just right. I'll likely buy one next year.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have no problem focusing the M. I don't know why the X1 and X2 raise so much antipathy.

I spend most of my time shooting with either M9 or GXR-M using a single lens anyway. A black X2 appeals to me a lot: the controls and size, the focal length too, are just right. I'll likely buy one next year.
+1 on that!

Peter