The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X2 any thoughts??

David Teo

X2 does not seem to get much respect - why not? Is it just because it has a fixed lens? IQ at least of the X1 seems very good and X2 maybe better. What is the beef?-
Put it side by side with the cheaper Fujifilm X100 and you get your answer :)

The real "mini" Leica M is the X100 with a built in optical viewfinder with parallax corrected frame lines, a fast f2 lens, and manual controls with aperture rings and shutter speed dials.

The Leica X2 is a really nice camera, so much so I made a trip to the Leica store to get some time with it. The camera is well built and feels very good in the hands, but I knew it wouldn't use it as much without a proper optical viewfinder, and while the clip on EVF I tried is no worse than other competing EVFs (it is after all made by Epson for Olympus and Leica), I'm not sure I want to give up the X100's brilliant M-like viewfinder.

I think what I really like about it is the Leica cachet behind it. :p

David Teo
http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

Godfrey

Put it side by side with the cheaper Fujifilm X100 and you get your answer :)

The real "mini" Leica M is the X100 with a built in optical viewfinder with parallax corrected frame lines, a fast f2 lens, and manual controls with aperture rings and shutter speed dials. ...
different strokes.

First time I saw an X100 in pictures, my gut said "I want one!"
First time I handled one in the flesh, my hands said "Yuck!"

First time I saw an X1 in pictures, my gut said, "Cute."
First time I handled an X1 in the flesh, my hands said "Perfect!"
But my wallet said "Empty."

Handled an X100 again two weeks ago. Hands still say "Yuck!"
Handled an X2 at the same time. Hands still say "Yes!!"
Wallet is comfortably plump at present.

I follow the Hands. ...

S

s38

...aslo, X100 is a Leica wanna be, X1-2 is an original. X100 lens has a bit of distortion, the Elmarit doesn't. The X100 is an appliance-it takes videos, it can make coffee, beef stew etc. The X1-2 takes photographs, that's it, plain and simple.

David Teo

...aslo, X100 is a Leica wanna be, X1-2 is an original. X100 lens has a bit of distortion, the Elmarit doesn't. The X100 is an appliance-it takes videos, it can make coffee, beef stew etc. The X1-2 takes photographs, that's it, plain and simple.
hahaha.... you are entitled to your opinions (as is everyone here) but if I were a betting person I would put money on the fact your opinions will change 180 degrees if the X100 was made by Leica, with the red dot seal of approval, and the X2 was made by Fujifilm, or Panasonic, or Sony, or any Japanese camera company....

And there's nothing wrong with that. I would want one myself, simply because it's made by Leica, except that I went to the store to check it out and couldn't get past the lack of a viewfinder, and the EVF / OVF attachment hump absolutely spoils the look....

But don't slam the X100 unless you've used it. If one is looking for a mini Leica M with a fixed 35mm field of view complete with parallax corrected frame lines in a window finder, this is it!

David Teo
David Teo Boon Hwee | Anecdotes and muses about the photographic life

David Teo

different strokes.

First time I saw an X100 in pictures, my gut said "I want one!"
First time I handled one in the flesh, my hands said "Yuck!"

First time I saw an X1 in pictures, my gut said, "Cute."
First time I handled an X1 in the flesh, my hands said "Perfect!"
But my wallet said "Empty."

Handled an X100 again two weeks ago. Hands still say "Yuck!"
Handled an X2 at the same time. Hands still say "Yes!!"
Wallet is comfortably plump at present.

I follow the Hands. ...
true, use the one most comfortable for you! :)

MSUSpartan

Same thing w/ Apple though, the X2 is made for people who just wants simplicity and it's a joy to use in one overall package, although it might not be the best at anything by itself.

Of course the red dot is like the glowing Apple. Design is definitely a big part of it, and it isn't cheap. It's hard to design something timeless. Look how good the Apple notebooks age. The X line is also a timeless design.

With that said, my wife is in love w/ the X2, but for me, I find the missing features limiting (real image stabilization, f2.0 lens, and more options in the firmware would be useful).

S

s38

hahaha.... you are entitled to your opinions (as is everyone here) but if I were a betting person I would put money on the fact your opinions will change 180 degrees if the X100 was made by Leica, with the red dot seal of approval, and the X2 was made by Fujifilm, or Panasonic, or Sony, or any Japanese camera company....

And there's nothing wrong with that. I would want one myself, simply because it's made by Leica, except that I went to the store to check it out and couldn't get past the lack of a viewfinder, and the EVF / OVF attachment hump absolutely spoils the look....

But don't slam the X100 unless you've used it. If one is looking for a mini Leica M with a fixed 35mm field of view complete with parallax corrected frame lines in a window finder, this is it!

David Teo
David Teo Boon Hwee | Anecdotes and muses about the photographic life
I wouldn't buy a BMW M5 if it had a Toyota motor in it...X100 is made to look like Leica M9...btw, the X1-2 looks like Barnack's Leica:

Oscar Barnack: One Glorious Badass | Artists with Swagger (More Badassery)

Paratom

I would buy a camera based on how it does look like but rather how the user interface works for me.
I own both the x1 and the x100 and while I really like both I would say the x100 feels more like a classic Leica than the x1 IMO.
On the other side I would give the edge in IQ to the x1, and it is much smaller.

M8X

This is my first post in this wonderful forum where I see more people on the photographer's side than on the gearhead side of the spectrum than in most of the other photography forums I know. I've seen the most stunning images here, thanks to all contributors!

Back to the subject matter: Owning an M8, after the announcement of the X2 beginning of May I was completely fascinated. I was looking for something focussing faster than I can do with the M8 since my main fotographic object, my half year old daughter, usually has no the patience to keep still until I focussed. Further, I am on business travel quite a bit and wanted to have a camera compact enough that I can take it with me everywhere, but still has good IQ and low light performance. So I really thought the X2 is MY camera.

Although I really love the build quality of Leica, after extensive research I decided to go with an X100. Main reason - beside factor 2 in CAPEX - was that the X100 has an OVF and an F2.0 lens. If the unexpected happens and Leica really issues an appealing new system between X and M soon, I'll be able to trade in the X100 with less loss than the X2.

I did not regret my decision so far. The X100 makes wonderful pictures, is useable until ISO 3200 and most of her optical shortcomings (except the lens flare) over the X2 lens can be easily corrected during image processing. The additional F-stop gives more freedom in photographic composition. Further, it has a couple of useful features like the panoramic mode and the integrated ND filter just to mention two. Haven't tried video yet.

There are only minor things I dislike on the X100, mainly the near focussing limit without activated macro and that I missed a shot here and there because it took too long to wake up the camera. It has too many options and is therefore not a no-nonsense camera. Also, it just does not feel as decent as a Leica.

Long story short: (X100 - nonsense + better haptics and design) is what the X2 should have been for me.

rich_

Hello everybody!

I have an X2, Its a great little camera with lovely image quality. The EVF is cumbersome but a necessity for me, I have a Voigtlander 35mm OVF which looks cool, but as I am not too hot with Zone focusing feels quite redundant.

I recently bought an M8 which is making me very happy indeed, I'd love to keep the X2, but i don't think the wallet can stretch that far. Both great cameras, Both aimed at different needs.

Good luck with the decision process, if you ever think of buying one second hand then let me know.

Rich

Moonshine

Hello everybody!

I have an X2, Its a great little camera with lovely image quality. The EVF is cumbersome but a necessity for me, I have a Voigtlander 35mm OVF which looks cool, but as I am not too hot with Zone focusing feels quite redundant.

I recently bought an M8 which is making me very happy indeed, I'd love to keep the X2, but i don't think the wallet can stretch that far. Both great cameras, Both aimed at different needs.

Good luck with the decision process, if you ever think of buying one second hand then let me know.

Rich
Hey! Just saw your pics on your link...really nice! I was in HK last week and took a bunch of pics with my X2 as well...on my flickr account if you like to take a look. Too bad u have to sell it as its a great camera...but the M8 is even better..
for different reasons.

Best of luck!

dave.gt

dave.gt

So, what does everyone think about the X2 a la carte program? I like it and have already picked out mine, wishing only that it had a proper Leica engraving like the M3.

pophoto

The X2 has better IQ than the X100 period. If the X200 can improve beyond inheriting the X Pro 1 or XE1 sensor then, Fuji will really earn my respect, unlike the the new Leica M-E announcement to inherit the old M9 sensor!

Godfrey

Lessee, some 1500 or so exposures with the X2 later here's how I rank it:

plusses
- image quality is excellent, everything it ought to be
- controls are great: simple, effective, easy to learn and remember
- AF speed is quite good, accuracy is right on the money
- auto exposure system produces very good exposure settings
- the sensor produces clean, usable results right up to the top of the range, ISO 1600-3200 are very useful
- size and weight are right on the money
- works great with both optical and electronic viewfinders, but using the LCD alone is actually very practical too
- the A&A half case and Street Strap are perfect for it
- battery life is running a healthy 400 or so exposures per charge, even with a lot of flash use

minuses
- manual focusing and manual focus assist are usable but a little crude, lacks precision
- shutter is almost too quiet and soft touch
- range limits on Aperture priority auto exposure are occasionally annoying
- overall shutter release responsiveness is good but can be a little laggy at times

Overall, I'm very pleased with it. It is an excellent camera, small and light, and works well as both a 'carry all the time' snapshot camera and also for serious picture taking. It certainly has its limitations, but they are not at odds with my expectations.

My X2 kit includes :
- Camera
- Voigtländer 35mm Optical Viewfinder
- Olympus V-2 EVF (100% compatible)
- Street Strap
- A&A half case
- HP 32G SDHC card
- battery (spare on the way)

I haven't used an external flash with it yet, but I could have used one (and an RF trigger) last weekend.