The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M Monochromatic Processing Insights

algrove

Jono already put many DNG images on various websites just after the time the Leica M was introduced on 10 May. He made them available for downloading.

jonoslack

Hi there Victor
The DNG files are still available for download
Just go to my website and click on the download on the top menu and click on the writing under the image.

Enjoy!

VICTOR BT

Jono, thanks a lot, i have downloaded and tried to tune them in Lr. based on this very initial and limited impression, it doesnt have the plastic canon/nikon look, and maybe even "feel" better than sterile things coming from medium backs in monochrome (no matter how u tune them).
overall, mixed feelings, i can see the point, maybe some time and experience is needed to tune the whole working process in order to find the "look" whether it is comparable to film or something new and equally appealing. maybe when printed on a good paper it will get some depth too. but i dont see at the moment how it comes close even to films like Acros or Tmax-400 (modern film with clean/flat character usually).
then i should say that for a long time i didnt like these two films that were technically superior to classic ilford for example, but dull in character. at some point, ilford was not available in medium format, i had no choice but to use acros and tmax for several occasions and to find the engaging "look/character" which i like very much nowadays. it was done with processing (i do it myself), and otherwise with lighting etc. i still like ilford for the look im getting from it, and acros or tmax too for the different aesthetic appeal.

jonoslack

Alfred Weidinger has put together a series of beautiful images from Africa that have the rich tonality and depth that I wanted to see from the M9M. Here's a link to one of his images on flickr: Nana Yaw Daani II, Co-Ruler of New Juaben, Ghana | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
HI There Kurt
Quite agree - these are lovely photos . . . he has, however, done some mid-tone contraction - which is likely what we will all end up doing, but it doesn't really show the mid-tone subtlety which is available.

Thanks for the link though - lots of great stuff.
all the best

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
I've got one on order, and late last week had a chance to shoot one for an hour with some of my favorite lenses. In reviewing the files there is a temptation to process to a "charcoal and chalk" look - getting the look right is going to take a fair amount of experimentation. What's clear to me is that the files look "muscular" as is and can tolerate a fair amount of manipulation. I only went as far as ISO 10,000 and it looks really good with a tight, pleasant "grain" structure.

A large majority of my files end up being converted to grayscale so this camera is a natural for me - I've been waiting for something like this since the Nikon D1 or so.

I shot some film on my recent trip to Italy (XP5 in an M3 scanned on my Imacon). Fun. Interesting. Different than digital. Many more keepers or near keepers per 36 exposures. But it would be hard to say that it's better than digital. Just different. The Monochrom's "grain" is finer at ISO 10,000 than XP5 at 400.

S

Spiritshooter

My somewhat unreliable dealer says sometime between this coming Tuesday and October 15.

My reliable wife says as long as a pair of 2-3ct diamond stud earrings arrive on or about the same day as the MM all is good.

m_driscoll

Only 2-3 carats? I explained that it was a no-cost 'trade' for my Nocti. No grief... she just looked at me like I was mentally defective.

I'm hoping August and that they actuality made enough of them for the pre-sales.

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

S

Spiritshooter

Ah, but I was also instructed that the 2-3ct stones must be of the finest color and quality. Not the marginal middle of the road stuff.

I guess fair is fair....