The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MM DNG files . . . Cormorant Fisherman

jonoslack

HI There
This is an experiment - I have permission to release one or two DNG files - of course, they are fundamentally hamstrung by being my photographs, but I can't do anything about that!

There is also a potential problem with dropbox limits - I do pay for it, so there is a larger daily limit, but please don't download the file over and over again.

If this is a success, then I'll be able to make other files available. I'm doing it through my website so that my son can amuse himself with the metrics!

You can play with the file, and then you can post your conversion on this thread.

Enjoy!

Click on the Downloads link on the top right

This is my take - I'm sure you can do better, my lightroom skills are still light!.

Hosermage

woohoo... I'll be happy to pay for my share of the bandwidth cost! A question... I was able to bring up the DNG into my Lightroom 3.. I thought a new format means I might need update/upgrade the software to read it?

jonoslack

Hi David
Fine if you can use it in Lightroom 3 . . . it will, at least, be quicker!
I don't think it's about cost, I think there's a 200gb a day limit, that's all.
I'll look forwards to seeing your take on the file!
all the best

Hosermage

This will be hours of fun... I'm hesitant to share my result, knowing me, I'd probably just pick a preset and be done :D I can't get over how sharp the file feel at 100%. Pixel-envy! If you don't mind, I'm sure we'll be able to setup some mirror among ourselves so everyone will get a copy to play with. Thanks!!!

jonoslack

This will be hours of fun... I'm hesitant to share my result, knowing me, I'd probably just pick a preset and be done :D I can't get over how sharp the file feel at 100%. Pixel-envy! If you don't mind, I'm sure we'll be able to setup some mirror among ourselves so everyone will get a copy to play with. Thanks!!!
Good!
the download should be okay as long as nobody is silly (I think it's 200gb a day - you work out how many downloads that is!).

The plan is to put up another file in a day or so and remove the link to this one.
I can set up a mirror too, but if it's more than 200gb a day I don't think my guy would be that pleased!

all the best

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Here's my modest attempt. As others have mentioned, there is very nice detail. The files seem to have the same amount of pliability that I've experienced with the M9 and the S2. That really allows the individual to shape the file as they'd like. I wanted to see if I could add a little bit more dimensionality. Not as subtle as Jono's version (and probably too much contrast) but it demonstrates that files can be pushed around as the individual wishes.

Kurt

jonoslack

Here's my modest attempt. As others have mentioned, there is very nice detail. The files seem to have the same amount of pliability that I've experienced with the M9 and the S2. That really allows the individual to shape the file as they'd like. I wanted to see if I could add a little bit more dimensionality. Not as subtle as Jono's version (and probably too much contrast) but it demonstrates that files can be pushed around as the individual wishes.

Kurt
Moi? subtle?:ROTFL::ROTFL:
that's a nice take though - I'm off to bed now - hope you guys have fun whilst I'm snoozing. Don't be outdone by LUF!!!

all the best

fotografz

One version I did when doing the set for the thread on processing techniques ...

Can't wait to see other folk's take on it :thumbs:

Marc

ashwinrao1

My take # 1...This file has SOOOO much latitude for editing...fantastic...

Thanks for sharing this with us, Jono!

take 2 with a bit more aggressive editing....

mjm6

Here's one from me...

The DNG is remarkably sharp... I have a full res crop I'll put up so you can see.

In the spirit of the M-M, I used Nik SFX2 on it for some adjustments...

One thing you will notice, the lack of an AA filter has actually produced a TOO SHARP effect in the beard. It aliases somewhat. It will take some getting used to the levels of sharpening to keep that from getting out of hand.

The small amount of luminance noise was easily blown back by LR3. If I turned off the film processing in SFXP2, the background could be as smooth as desired with noise adjustments.

Lovely...

I haven been waiting for the M10 to come out to consider a second camera to go along with the M9, but the M-M may be the ideal camera (I shoot for B&W almost all the time).

---Michael

Hosermage

Looks like fun! If you don't mind me join in... here's my take, still preferring to have a little bit of glow :)

CharlesK

Jono, many thanks! Great shot, and thank you for sharing:) The file is amazing and very workable, and heaps of latitude. Thanks to your thread, I have already my name down for the M-M in Australia:D

These are my interpretations :)

Last edited:

fotografz

Here are a few run through Nik Silver Efex Pro-II that comes with the M Monochrom.

Starting with a base adjusted in LR4 followed by various selections in Nik ... what a huge range of creative selections to work with :thumbs:

(click on thumbs for larger view ... once you view each one once, you can then rapid click on "next" to go through them instantly and see the differences).

-Marc

D&A

This is great....thanks ever so much Jono! Does this mean we now have official permission to take the entire day off to play...um...I mean work with this file? LOL!

Here are two quick ones from me What I noticed is in CS5, Silver EFX says "not available" when I click to open program with these DNG's or when they are subsequently converted to jpegs. Does anyone have any idea why? Maybe because Silver EFX is only available at this point with LR4? How about CS6?

Marc, of the six conversions you posted above, my favorite is #5. I personally find it's quite an effective look for the subject matter. Obviously there is no right or wrong.....similar to when choosing film, developer and paper type. Definitely going to have fun! Are we all going to post our pre and post "glass of wine" versions later on? ( Well OK, you can substitute beer if you'd like) :)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited: