The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MM DNG files . . . Cormorant Fisherman

emr

I donwloaded the file only to find out that Aperture 3 still does not support the file format. Sorry about wasting bandwidth.

RF_Licks

Jono thanks for sharing!!

Agree with what others said, the file has lots of latitude for manipulation.

Joe

Zlatko Batistich

What I noticed is in CS5, Silver EFX says "not available" when I click to open program with these DNG's or when they are subsequently converted to jpegs. Does anyone have any idea why? Maybe because Silver EFX is only available at this point with LR4? How about CS6?
Silver Efex needs an RGB Color file to work, but the DNG converts to a Grayscale file. Just convert the jpeg file from Grayscale to RGB Color, then Silver Efex will open it. In Photoshop, Image > Mode > RGB Color.

jonoslack

I donwloaded the file only to find out that Aperture 3 still does not support the file format. Sorry about wasting bandwidth.
HI There
For once, it's understandable that apple are behind the curve - this is a new type of DNG, on the basis that the demosaicing isn't required. Hopefully there will be support very soon.

You will have noticed that all the versions have a little burned out bit where burning in the face has 'leaked' from the nose . . . .because lightroom doesn't have an edge detect in it's brushes.

I recommend that you download the trial version of LR4 to play with - it'll be instructive, and I'm quite sure it'll prove to you how much nice Aperture is.

I've been using Lightroom continuously for 5 months now . . . . . and I can't wait to get back to Aperture again!

all the best

D&A

Silver Efex needs an RGB Color file to work, but the DNG converts to a Grayscale file. Just convert the jpeg file from Grayscale to RGB Color, then Silver Efex will open it. In Photoshop, Image > Mode > RGB Color.
Thanks very much Zlatko. Makes perfect sense..now why didn't I think of that (slapping the side of my head)!

I wonder if the version of Silver EFX thats bundled with the M9M is newly written so that it opens Grayscale files? Does anyone know?

Dave (D&A)

MikalWGrass

Jono, thank you. Everyone else, thanks for showing what a creative bunch you are. I really need to get back to work, but this MM..................

D&A

Jono, is there any chance you might be able to post for download a near identical pair of DNG images...one taken with the M9 as a color image and one taken by the M9M? This way we can analyze both images and evaluate the similarities and differences based on our own individual post processing techniques and preferences? Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Brian Mosley

Wow, that file is stunning... thanks for the play Jono - just using Lightzone here to adjust overall tonality, no localised edits.

This is one special camera. :salute:

Brian

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,

Thought you might like to see this.

It's a copy of an old postcard which I bought in an antiquarian bookshop in Kensington, London in the mid 1970s.

So, this pic is probably approaching 40 years old, and not a funny Chinese hat in sight!

Nice picture Jono and lovely looking camera..up to 10,000 ASA..seems almost like cheating.:)

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hello All,

Thought you might like to see this.

It's a copy of an old postcard which I bought in an antiquarian bookshop in Kensington, London in the mid 1970s.

So, this pic is probably approaching 40 years old, and not a funny Chinese hat in sight!

Nice picture Jono and lovely looking camera..up to 10,000 ASA..seems almost like cheating.:)

Cheers,

Gandolfi.
Hi Gandolfi
That's wonderful . . . . .
We found this guy on a lonely beach, but as you imply, the funny hat is a tourist issue - he absolutely had to be paid, and I have a faint suspicion I've seen his picture in the national geographic!

However, we did go cormorant fishing later on an a village called Xingping (pretty sure it's where you postcard was taken). just the three of us, two of the rafts in the postcard tied together, and a serious and silent young man with a leather jacket and a tea shirt

Here he is tying thread around the cormorants neck:

He had 11 cormorants on one of those rafts. Two of them had other things in mind:

One of this couple kept bringing back sticks instead of fish (nesting?)

It was raining and dark, and I'll never forget it!

all the best

Truth is, I suspect that it was already a tourist issue in the 1970s!