The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MM DNG files - 2 - The Girl with the Shawl

davemillier

Thanks, Jono!

This is a great shot and fun to play with. Interesting how many variations on crops you can get out of it.

I think it's great that Leica have done this (although the price is not for the likes of me). I hope it encourages one or two others to try something similar.

Now, one downside...

This is probably true of the standard Leica too, but I detest the look of luminance aliasing that comes from omitting the AA filter.

If you look at the girl's hair at full size, there are areas where it is just a jumbled, jangly mess. Not just jaggies and "twisted rope" artifacts on individual strands but that weird "sackcloth" look on the slightly highlighted area.

On the other hand, sside from these little bits that have crept through, I am generally impressed with how successful Leica are in suppressing aliasing. There is surprisingly little given the subject. I think the Sigma Sd1 would probably be worse. I wonder how it's done...

Amin

Jono, these are wonderful photos - very generous of you to share the full files this way. Remarkable file quality as well. Lastly, they are a fun exercise in processing and sharing, so here's my take on this one:

DavidE

Thanks Jono for posting the DNG files. I'm still struggling with the decision to buy or not, as I'm concerned with how flexible the images will be in Lightroom. Having these files is a big help.

Here's my take.

seakayaker

. . . . . another pass for the fun of it.

Good things come in sets of three . . . . .

. . . . . so perhaps you will consider posting one more!

cunim

Jono, I would like to take a look but all that happens when I download is a quicktime icon and then a small image. Can't get to the DNG. What am I doing wrong?

jonoslack

Jono, I would like to take a look but all that happens when I download is a quicktime icon and then a small image. Can't get to the DNG. What am I doing wrong?
HI There
I suspect that you may need to change the extension (your computer may be adding a .zip extension or something similar).

make sure the file name ends in a .DNG extension - but you'll need to import the DNG into Lightroom (or photoshop) anyway.

Not sure if this will help (but it might!)

all thebest

bensonga

Thanks again Jono! With all the square crops of Leica MM images I've been creating from Jono's work.....I'm beginning to think my Hasselblads must be jealously influencing my perspective on all non-square source files, particularly Leica images. :)

I printed this one tonight on RRP UltraPro Satin (12x12in) and like the "Grandpa" image.....it looks terrific. If you are listening Nikon....please begin immediate development of a monochrome D800E!

Gary

Brian Mosley

Nice rendition Gary, and I'm feeling the same way about needing a monochrome version of the the O-MD :facesmack:

After working with MM raw files, anything with a CFA looks like mush :cry:

Cheers

Brian