The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens sale vía paypal Gift

Moonshine

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but i had a question regarding a lens sale via paypal gift. There is someone who wants to buy a M lens from me in Malaysia and wants to use the paypal gift option. How secure is that transaction for me? Should i go ahead with it? Please let me know if anyone here has used the gift option and if its secure for the seller or not?

Thanks

Hosermage

As far as I know, gift is good for you, as there is no way he can get it back. Also, if there are any fees related, it will be paid by the buyer, so you get the true net amount.

dubes

Paypal gift is not safe! It offers you no protection if the buyer claims the charges were fraudulent. This is one of the reasons why I don't accept Paypal gift when I list items for sale.

SYGTAFOTO

Paypal gift is not safe! It offers you no protection if the buyer claims the charges were fraudulent. This is one of the reasons why I don't accept Paypal gift when I list items for sale.
Can you expand on this a bit more? As long as the seller has proof of delivery to the address under paypal, isn't the seller covered?
I was under the impression that paypal gift is more advantageous for the seller. Why does it provide no protection for the seller? Isn't buyer at risk?
If we're talking about someone's account being hacked, isn't that risk same for both regular and gift options?

V

Vivek

Can you expand on this a bit more? As long as the seller has proof of delivery to the address under paypal, isn't the seller covered?
I was under the impression that paypal gift is more advantageous for the seller. Why does it provide no protection for the seller? Isn't buyer at risk?
If we're talking about someone's account being hacked, isn't that risk same for both regular and gift options?
What "sale" and "seller" if someone sends a "gift"??? If there is a dispute and the "seller" claims to paypal that he had delivered his "merchandise" they can penalize him/her for not using the correct terms and mode of payments!

The bottomline is that do not do anything that will get into dispute/mess. I would only make any transactions with "known" individuals. That is the key.

V

Vivek

I believe I have answered the OP's question and I hope it is helpful to him. :)

SYGTAFOTO

Sorry I've deleted my original reply, but I now agree with Vivek with the explanation. I haven't used Paypal in a while but with EMT in Canada, it sends an email notification to the receiver to enter a password created by sender to receive the payment. I wonder why this type of added security is not present in Paypal. That way, the Paypal user needs to know the Paypal password as well as the personal email password.

Moonshine

i'm still confused...if the 'buyer' sends a gift then how can he dispute anything? if i send the merchandise can he claim that he didn't receive it just to be fraudulent? and if he does where does that leave me the 'seller'?
I'm sorry for asking again and again but i'm just not getting this :(

Arjuna

I think that the problem is that if the buyer is unhappy, they can cancel the payment. Then, as this was a 'gift', there can be no discussion about merchandise received/not received, satisfactory/not satisfactory, so PayPal won't get involved, it is up to the buyer and seller to resolve things, i.e. as Vivek said, only deal with 'known' individuals.

Myself, I don't mind paying or absorbing the PayPal 3% fee, because it is so fast and convenient. The alternatives that I know about, such as money orders or bank transfers also involve fees, may take time to be mailed, and can't be done in a couple of minutes, at home, whenever I want.

dubes

i'm still confused...if the 'buyer' sends a gift then how can he dispute anything? if i send the merchandise can he claim that he didn't receive it just to be fraudulent? and if he does where does that leave me the 'seller'?
I'm sorry for asking again and again but i'm just not getting this :(
First, since it's a gift, Paypal doesn't acknowledge a buyer or a seller.

Second, the "buyer" can dispute the charges with his credit card company, just as they could for any unauthorized transaction. In that case, Paypal would refund the "buyer's" money at your expense.

However, if you follow all of the rules to qualify for Paypal seller protection and you ship to a Paypal confirmed address, then the seller is protected if the buyer claims the credit card charges weren't authorized.

See this discussion discussion with a Paypal rep describing a similar type of transaction and the possible pitfalls.

Feel free to ignore our advice, and I hope it works out for you, but I personally would run away from this transaction.

monza

I use paypal gift with people that are known to me, but if paypal sees that you used 'gift' when in fact it was a transaction for goods, they will not cover any claims and may put restrictions on your account.

when you send via 'gift' no address information is sent. this makes sense, as there should be nothing to ship therefore an address is not needed. and the buyer is not protected via paypal buyer protection. There is no incentive for paypal to offer protection on a sale on which they make nothing.

One cannot send paypal gift via credit card without fees, it only works without fees if there are funds already in the paypal account.

JPizzzle

I would not think that theres a need to run away, ask him to pay an extra 3% (cover fees) as a paypal purchase and make sure his address is verified.

richardman

Of course some people may offer "gift" so that no one needs to pay paypal that 3%-4%. If the deal is good for you, you can offer to split the fee and have him send an extra 2%.