The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica MM meets Nikon D800E

Brian S

My opinion, the last images show the advantage of a true monochrome sensor over converting those using color mosaic filters. Artifacts from the interpolation process show up in the "pixel-peeped" images.

Last edited:

jonoslack

I really enjoyed his articles - not too long, interesting and well illustrated. Excellent.
And of course, in this context it was interesting that the 18Mp MM held it's own against the 36Mp Nikon.

Shashin

Fortunately, he put that horrible $7k APO lens on the Leica which should really slow it down. Not to mention in the final closeup there looks like some camera motion in the Nikon shot. ;)

But what I really want to know is the spectral response curve for the Leica. And how that compares to a Bayer pattern. There are holes in a tri-color setup and I think I can see how the M9M can take advantage of not having to deal with color beyond the Bayer interpolation--I wish the reviewer added a color image of each setup.

Anyway, interesting review. The M9M looks like a special camera...as long as it is not burdened with the new 50mm APO.

Brian Mosley

Some nasty stairstep artifacts in his MM images (davemillier will be grinding his teeth :D)... does Photoshop have the option to antialias when downsizing?

Cheers

Brian

jonoslack

Some nasty stairstep artifacts in his MM images (davemillier will be grinding his teeth :D)... does Photoshop have the option to antialias when downsizing?

Cheers

Brian
HI Brian
I guess that he didn't read the thread here - which makes it pretty clear that the LR4 settings are the biggest culprit in this respect (i.e. you need to remove all input sharpening and add some negative clarity).

But I'd guess Dave will be grinding his teeth at the D800e images for the same reason anyway.

It's an interesting comparison . . . .but I can't imagine anyone trying to decide which camera suits them best - a D800e or an MM - can you? They're hardly similar solutions!

Right - off to try and get Emma's 1994 Saab 900 working :confused:

fotografz

Actually Jono, the thought had crossed my mind.

The notion of a higher ISO available light B&W camera being the primary driver. For $8K one can have a D800 and three top drawer Nikon lenses.

What was confusing about this review was the claim that the D800 was better than the MM at the higher end ISOs and implying that the MM topped out at 2,500 in useable ISO with 5,000 for emergencies (unless I read it wrong). IMO, that wasn't the case with the images you provided for raw processing.

It would also be very interesting to know exactly how capable the D800 AF system is when working in light requiring ISO 6,400+ ... manual focusing a DSLR being out of the question for my eyes. I already know the Ms ability in light like that.

It may all be a moot point, the images presented in this review subjectively told me what I needed to know ... the MM shots look and feel so much better as to render all the words and math meaningless to me.

-Marc

jonoslack

Actually Jono, the thought had crossed my mind.

The notion of a higher ISO available light B&W camera being the primary driver. For $8K one can have a D800 and three top drawer Nikon lenses.
Don't think I've not thought about this too . . . . . but for me I don't need a D800e, I really don't!
What was confusing about this review was the claim that the D800 was better than the MM at the higher end ISOs and implying that the MM topped out at 2,500 in useable ISO with 5,000 for emergencies (unless I read it wrong). IMO, that wasn't the case with the images you provided for raw processing.

It would also be very interesting to know exactly how capable the D800 AF system is when working in light requiring ISO 6,400+ ... manual focusing a DSLR being out of the question for my eyes. I already know the Ms ability in light like that.

It may all be a moot point, the images presented in this review subjectively told me what I needed to know ... the MM shots look and feel so much better as to render all the words and math meaningless to me.

-Marc
Yes - well, that's what I thought as well - if monochrome is what you want, then the Leica does seem to deliver.

ohnri

-Marc
I don't know about the D800 but my D4 will AF in light too dim to reliably use my M9.

I have also printed some very nice color D4 portraits shot at ISO 16,000 without any PP other than ACR.

For REALLY low light B&W I already have the camera I need, the D4.

For high res B&W it looks clear that the D800 and the MM are a lot more alike than different.

IMO, it comes down to RF vs DSLR and Nikon vs Leica as well as cost rather than IQ.

Still, if I was a B&W disciple, I'd get the MM just because it is so damn cool.

-Bill

Fashion meets Fighting

April 2012 – Bill Fulcher |

V

Vivek

I don't know about the D800 but my D4 will AF in light too dim to reliably use my M9.

I have also printed some very nice color D4 portraits shot at ISO 16,000 without any PP other than ACR.

For REALLY low light B&W I already have the camera I need, the D4.

For high res B&W it looks clear that the D800 and the MM are a lot more alike than different.

IMO, it comes down to RF vs DSLR and Nikon vs Leica as well as cost rather than IQ.

Still, if I was a B&W disciple, I'd get the MM just because it is so damn cool.

-Bill

Fashion meets Fighting

April 2012 – Bill Fulcher |
Bill, That is a good summary.

The MM is a so damn cool alright. It has put me in a quandary.

DSLR is a clearly a non choice for me. Not fond of going back to a mechanical RF in light of the live view and mirrorless choices. It was as easy as a DSLR to overlook the M9. Leica be damned for the MM.:cussing: