The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with M & R Lenses on anything other then a Leica

m_driscoll

Using the 80/200/4 Vario-Elmar R on a Canon 5D II. This makes a great partner for the 35/70/4 R. Both lenses were made by Kyocera with Leitz supervision and design. The lens is well constructed...two touch controls.
The focusing ring is forward, making for some balance problems...focusing is very delicate...in other words, miss focus by a millimeter and you have really missed focus...there is some zoom creep involved here as well...when I raise or lower the lens and then look in the viewfinder, focus has been off...but...the lens is very sharp...produces brilliant, contrasty images just like a real Leica lens!
Here are some examples...YOU MUST CLICK ON THE THUMBNAILS and see the enlarged images to really appreciate the fine rendering of detail by this lens.

The cat pic has been cropped 1/3 of the image on the right...to avoid distracting burnt out highlights. The image on the right hand end must be enlarged so that the superb rendering of fine detail can be seen (spider web and flower stamens.)

There is a second set of 80-200/4 images forthcoming.
Benroy: The 'cat' and the 'cobweb' are brilliant. :salute: Just saw the second set of images! 'Mushrooms', really make me want this lens. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

iiiNelson

What a beautiful rendering of that lens. And I thought I was done with buying M lenses:banghead:
Yeah I thought I was done too.

I bought it right after I bought my 35 Cron ASPH because I was unwilling to pay the $7000 that 35 Lux FLE were going for when you could find them. It's even better on the M9 and easily the best lens that Voigtlander makes in my opinion. This is coming from someone that has tried many of their lenses and owned a few of them in the past. Very modern rendering indeed that makes me look like a half competent photographer at times. :)

Thanks for the compliments too.

benroy

Subscriber Member
3rd set: 80-200/4 Vario-Elmar-R on 5D II. Overcast provides soft, shadowless lighting.
All shot between F/4 - F8 @ ISO 400...fine detail rendered, even wide open...all shot between 150-200mm,

Last edited:

jonoslack

Here are some with my 60 f2.8 Elmarit on the Olympus OMD (apologies if you've seen them on the olympus forum):

Conundrum

Solution

Tangled

Sharp

Flag Iris

m_driscoll

At Revel, a 'Korean' restaurant in Seattle's Fremont Neighborhood.

Oly E-M5; Leica-M 50mm f/1.4; 1/320s; ISO 200

Oly E-M5; Leica-M 50mm f/1.4; 1/3200s; ISO 200

Oly E-M5; Leica-M 50mm f/1.4; 1/100s; ISO 200

Oly E-M5; Leica-M 50mm f/1.4; 1/100s; ISO 200

Oly E-M5; Leica-M 50mm f/1.4; 1/125s; ISO 200

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

jonoslack

double posted from 4/3 forum (sorry)

snoozing quietly, 5000 ISO

the young Harry Potter! 3200 ISO

again with the 60 macro elmarit on the OMD.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Road under construction markings with 35-70/4 Vario-Elmar on Canon 5D II...shades of Ernst Haas.

More to come....

Last edited: