The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with M & R Lenses on anything other then a Leica

jonoslack

HI Terry
No - can't live with the zooming an and out - just get the dioptre right, half press the shutter to stabilise the viewfinder with IBIS, then focus manually and shoot.

I don't use magnified view at all.

as for the darkening down I hadn't noticed the issue - but I'm usually half pressing the shutter anyway.

all the best

simonclivehughes

I was out this morning with my E-PL1 and Voigtländer Nokton f1.1 50mm lens, with a Heliopan 77mm 8x -3 ND filter shooting wide open. I find the EVF of the E-PL1 to be the best for accuracy with this lens at this aperture. (I also shoot with NEX 5, GH1 & G1.)

I PP’d this with Viveza 2 for colour and Silver Efex Pro for B&W. I'm not sure which I prefer, the B&W helps minimize the background clutter, but then the colours also have nice earth tones.

View attachment 59608

View attachment 59609

Cheers,

Last edited:

benroy

Subscriber Member
More 35-70/4 R images. Shot with Canon 5D II ...click on them and take a look...you won't find any street pics of wooden, expressionless people...or out of focus or soft focus flowers...you might get a very pleasant surprise that there is some really good stuff amongst the 3 people that have displayed their images in thumbnail form on this page.

Last edited:

d.clin.design

Leica NEX-7 in Korea

Here are some pics I took while traveling to Korea. You can see the complete set here.
2012 Korea - a set on Flickr

These are are shot with the Sony NEX-7 + Voigtlander 12mm f/5,6 Ultra-Wide Heliar or Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH

Songdo Sunset

Songdo @ Night

Central Park

V

Vivek

Another non M or R lens (Leitz (macro) Summar 8cm f/4.5)

This Bee said, Enough! :ROTFL:

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
NEX-7, Leitz Summar 8cm f/4.5, handheld!

benroy

Subscriber Member
Using the 80/200/4 Vario-Elmar R on a Canon 5D II. This makes a great partner for the 35/70/4 R. Both lenses were made by Kyocera with Leitz supervision and design. The lens is well constructed...two touch controls.
The focusing ring is forward, making for some balance problems...focusing is very delicate...in other words, miss focus by a millimeter and you have really missed focus...there is some zoom creep involved here as well...when I raise or lower the lens and then look in the viewfinder, focus has been off...but...the lens is very sharp...produces brilliant, contrasty images just like a real Leica lens!
Here are some examples...YOU MUST CLICK ON THE THUMBNAILS and see the enlarged images to really appreciate the fine rendering of detail by this lens.

The cat pic has been cropped 1/3 of the image on the right...to avoid distracting burnt out highlights. The image on the right hand end must be enlarged so that the superb rendering of fine detail can be seen (spider web and flower stamens.)

There is a second set of 80-200/4 images forthcoming.

Last edited:

Knorp

Using the 80/200/4 Vario-Elmar R on a Canon 5D II. This makes a great partner for the 35/70/4 R. Both lenses were made by Kyocera with Leitz supervision and design. The lens is well constructed...two touch controls.
The focusing ring is forward, making for some balance problems...focusing is very delicate...in other words, miss focus by a millimeter and you have really missed focus...there is some zoom creep involved here as well...when I raise or lower the lens and then look in the viewfinder, focus has been off...but...the lens is very sharp...produces brilliant, contrasty images just like a real Leica lens!
Here are some examples...YOU MUST CLICK ON THE THUMBNAILS and see the enlarged images to really appreciate the fine rendering of detail by this lens.

The cat pic has been cropped 1/3 of the image on the right...to avoid distracting burnt out highlights. The image on the right hand end must be enlarged so that the superb rendering of fine detail can be seen (spider web and flower stamens.)

There is a second set of 80-200/4 images forthcoming.
Another excellent series and I like the spiderweb shot a lot and also the round leave(s).
The cat is a fine addition to your plant and flower repertoire, Roy !
Even at F4 I find this lens having very shallow DOF, basically only the cat's head is sharp.
Interesting lens this 80200/4.0, I've got the lesser 70-210/4.0 but it's still fun to use.

Well, keep 'm coming !

benroy

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Bart. I appreciate your encouraging comments.

Here's the second set of images taken with the 80-200/4 Vario-Elmar-R, You can read the background information about the lens in Bart's posting above this entry.

You will find the first set of images at the bottom of page one.. I was afraid that I would get trapped at the bottom page 1...sure enough.

This set also reveals the great ability of this lens to render fine detail, so click on the thumbnails and take a look.

Last edited:

benroy

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Bart. Each mushroom head is about the size of a 25 cent piece. They sprout out of the mulch early in the morning and have shriveled up and disappeared by the noon hour. The Faerie Queen comes out at night, touches the mulch with her wand, and out they sprout in the sunrise.

Roy Benson