The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with M & R Lenses on anything other then a Leica

scott kirkpatrick

I just received a ROM-chipped (late model) 280/4.0 Telyt-R from E-Bay. Testing it out so far on my E-PL5, which doubles the effective focal length, with the following results:

and of course, a super moon:

scott

Taylor Sherman

Nice moon shot! definitely better than what I got with the Sigma 150-500 on my Nex. The 280/4 looks great, but I think it's too big for me (I sold the Sigma...)

One from today with the Elmar 135/4

Taylor Sherman

Two with the 28/2.8 ASPH on the Nex-7; the first with a helicoid adapter, the second accidentally shot at ISO 400 (wide open and hence overexposed).

Godfrey

Started this in another thread because I didn't know about this existing one, so I'm adding them here.

I took out the Elmarit-R 180/2.8 and fitted it with an R to M adapter, then an M to Micro-FourThirds adapter, and snapped the Olympus E-PL1 on the back end. Just to give it a little tiny test of hand-holdability around the condo ...

All: Olympus E-PL1 fitted with Leica Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8

The E-PL1's image stabilization works pretty nicely! These were all made between 1/160 and 1/300 second, lens opening f/4 to f/8. Lovely rendering from this lens ... as expected!

Most of my rationalization for buying "yet another kit of camera gear" with the Leicaflexes was to obtain these lenses. I acquired both Summicron and Summilux R 50s, Summicron 90, Elmarit 135 and Elmarit 180. It's going to be fun working with them on FourThirds, Micro-FourThirds, APS-C, and (eventually) an M(240). Never mind on the Leicaflex SL itself... ;-)

enjoy
Godfrey

Gbealnz

Golly Gee, some stunners here. My turn to toss a couple into the ring, something a little different too.
I have been slowly, quietly acquiring a small selection of affordable R series lenses, to mainly accompany the Leicaflex addiction I seem to have picked up.
I decided to try them on a modify Canon EOS550D (also known as the T2i). This has been "full spectrum" modified.
I normally use the Canon on the end of an astronomical telescope, but thought I'd try a couple of lenses.
The two I tried were the Summicron 50 (V1) and the Macro Elmar F4. In the case of the Summicron I stopped the lens down to F4, and the Macro Elmar I went to F5.6. The Summicron showed quite a bit of coma at full aperture, too much to be satisfactory. The Macro Elmar was more forgiving, and the stop down was more a precaution.

The picture of Crux was taken with the Summicron, and as Crux was heading towards the western horizon. There is a bit of light pollution gradient in the right hand side, and I actually have cropped a chunk of this off.
Scorpius was directly overhead, and this didn't show the same light pollution, fortunately.
Both were taken last night from my backyard, and an astro light pollution filter was used.
Next will be to try something a bit longer perhaps. The R180/3.4 is a stunner evidently.
Gary

Last edited:

Taylor Sherman

Well, so I got a Summicron-M 28/2. I really liked the Elmarit-M 28/2.8 ASPH but felt the call of the faster lens. Partly because with the 21/3.4 and the 28/2.8 in the bag, I tend to go for the 21 for the wider FOV. Having the 28/2 instead will mean it gets used more because of the extra stop, I think.

Also, looking forward to an eventual FF mirrorless, I plan on the 28/2 being my primary lens.

Oh - and, it doesn't need nearly as much corner color-correction as the 28/2.8 does. I can almost get away without it at f/5.6 and above, and at f/2 it still has less color cast than the 28/2.8 has at smaller aperture.

So, here are some pictures with it on the Nex-7 (with cornerfix applied).

And one with the 21/3.4:

Knorp

Actually it's upside down, but I like it better this way ... :eek:

Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 1:2.8/100mm on Pentax K5IIs

Gbealnz

Thanks Taylor,
Yes, a tracking (and guiding actually) mount. Exposures were about 120 seconds, for some and 180 seconds for others.
I'm keen to give it another burst, but need to wait until new moon again.
I agree though, the macro shots knocked my socks off as well, awesome pictures.
Gary

Godfrey

Olympus E-PL1 + Leica Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8

thanks for looking, comments always appreciated.

G

f6cvalkyrie

I have completely missed this thread till now.

These are with an Oly E-M5 and Leica Hektor 125/2.5

C U,
Rafael