The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M monochrome

V

Vivek

I just checked the local list prices: 6,799 Euros (2 year warranty). That obviates even the thought of a back up body for me.

I am mainly interested in this for street shooting.

Who is interested and for what purpose? What kind of focal lengths are you most likely to use with it?

In my case, it is all going to be old lenses (most in thread mount), including a Canon 50/0.95 (likely the least to be used one for anything useful - not much into bokeh nowadays. :D )

chrism

Mostly portraits for me, so the Lux 75 and 50 will probably see more time on it than anything. I sent off an M7 and an MP (leaving me one of each!) to the dealer today to be taken as trade-ins, which will cover half the cost of the M Monochrom. I just spent an hour and a half scanning the Tri-X that was in the M7, only to discover that I screwed up the settings in Vuescan (I used a Coolscan 9000 thinking it would be quicker and good enough for the job). I'll have to do them over in the Imacon, which I'm more familiar with in recent months. That's one of the reasons I look forward to the Monochrom!

Chris

Brian S

I'm thinking pre-war Uncoated Sonnar 5cm f1.5 made into Leica Mount.

1/3rd of the cost is in my Paypal. two weeks of selling.

D&A

As I posted in another thread, I too was thinking lenses like the Mandler era designed ones, would render very nicely on the M9M. Yet I am have the dilemma of needing to purchase a medium format lens for an upcoming shoot and also raise some funds, and therefore put up for sale the very lens that I want to use most on ithe monochrom camera....namely my 75mm Lux. Yikes no way to have eveything, is there?

Dave(D&A)

Last edited:

Brian S

and I have the Series V filter set already to go for a hacked-into-Leica mount Schneider Xenar.

Not a Tessar formula lens, this is a 5 element design.

Much sharper than my Zeiss Tessar 5cm F2.8.

But Medium (ish) contrast.

Brian S

Modern Lenses.

Do they still make those...

I need to go downtown to the Leica Store in DC with a 1934 Uncoated Sonnar.

Last edited:

algrove

I was in the DC store about 10 days ago with a 24/1.4 on my M9P and the salesman marveled at it since he had not seen one from what I could tell.

D&A

I have to get down there too. Often I'm just a few blocks away but keep forgetting that the store is there. Maybe it's good I haven't gone in....would be fustrating to play with all those goodies but not walk out with a purchase.

Dave (D&A)

m_driscoll

Street, landscape, nature...actually anything. No initial limits. 'Modern ' Leica glass - 21mm to 90mm (Summarit, Summicron, and Summilux).

I'm probably going to photograph our kittens first with a 35mm FLE. I'll post those in the 'Fun...' thread. :D

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll