The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One ver 4 and the M8.2

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Back to the 8bit/16bit DNG compression issue for a minute...

It seems to me turning off any DNG compression might be a nice option to have in the firmware, especially now... Yes it will double raw file sizes and take twice as long to write them, but it won't have to do any magic compression processing to do and that should save time. With the ver 2 firmware we can utilize both larger SD cards and the reader is faster, so those older concerns may not be much of a tradeoff loss if we get a whole 12 bits of native color data...

Seems logical to me...

scott kirkpatrick

Back to the 8bit/16bit DNG compression issue for a minute...

It seems to me turning off any DNG compression might be a nice option to have in the firmware, especially now... Yes it will double raw file sizes and take twice as long to write them, but it won't have to do any magic compression processing to do and that should save time. With the ver 2 firmware we can utilize both larger SD cards and the reader is faster, so those older concerns may not be much of a tradeoff loss if we get a whole 12 bits of native color data...

Seems logical to me...
Seems logical to me, too, now that SDHC is supported, and the cheapest cards on a per GB basis are currently around 8 GB... But the 8-bit trick is blindingly fast, since it just takes one step to look each value up in a table. And the M8 is fairly underpowered. Now the S-series cameras didn't hesitate to keep every bit that might be meaningful. I think we have to wait for an M9 to see Leica-designed imaging chips that will permit a fast datapath at 16 bits per pixel nominal resolution.

scott