The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Japanese RF LTM Lenses? any good?

dude163

Hi all,

Im looking for any user info on Nikkor lenses and Canon Serenars, anyone have any tidbits /advice/warnings to tell me about them?

Cheers

Robert

dmeckert

Just picked up a nikon 5cm f/2 from a member here, who modded it for close focus. I really like it so far in a day or two of use. Seems to have sufficient resolution for 12mp m43, so I'm guessing it'll hold up reasonably on film (haven't shot it on the M6 yet...will be tonight though). Has an interesting glow wide open, but without being soft or mushy or flat. Has an interesting character to it.

Brian S

With the Canon Serenars: be able to inspect for haze on the glass on each side of the aperture blades.

The Canon 50/1.5 is a Sonnar formula lens, a good rendition of the pre-war Zeiss Sonnar. Not a copy, it is made to the Leica standard focal length.

The other Canon lenses are Planar formula lenses.

The Nikkor 5cm F1.4 has somewhat harsh Bokeh compared with the f2 Nikkor and Zeiss and Canon lenses.

The Canon 50/1.8 is quite good, usually can be found at reasonable prices. The 50/1.9 is collapsible, same formula as the Summar- but somewhere closer to a Summitar in performance.

Canon 50/1.9:

Canon 50mm F1.9 Serenar - SeriousCompacts.com Gallery

Brian S

Yes- all of the Japanese Leica Mount lenses are made to the Leica 51.6mm focal length standard.

The Canon 50/1.5 seems to be optimized for F2.8. The Nikkors are optimized for wide-open work.

On the Nikkor 5cm F1.4: the lenses after about SN 330xxx or so are slightly larger in diameter, probably when Nikon went to a 24x36 negative on their cameras. The earlier lenses may vignette a little bit more, but have slightly smoother Bokeh. I have an early one in Leica mount, and many (8 or 9) in S-Mount.

dude163

Brian, Im glad you answered here, are they a worthwhile purchase? or am I better off saving up to buy Leitz lenses?

My main reason for going to an M8 inteh first place is a have a hobby of using vintage lenses on my SLRs and I also noticed that the Canon/Nippon Kogaku gear is half or less than the *real* leica gear.

Thanks again for the info!

Oh, forgot to ask, how are the 85m lenses? the Serenar 85/f2 for example?

Last edited:

Gary Clennan

I would say try some of them out - you don't have much to lose. Considering the age of the lenses you are currently using, the performance of these Nikkor's or Canon's could very well be better. It is also a matter of what performance traits you are after.... The Serenar was designed as a portrait lens which means (back in the day) it was meant to have a softer look. Also keep in mind that the 85mm Serenar is VERY heavy.

dude163

Is the 85mm as heavy as my Helios 40? because that weighs 900grams :(

Its great to fend off Paparazzi or Zombies

Brian S

I have both the Canon 85/2 and the Nikkor 8.5cm F2.

The Nikkor wide-open on the M9:

I have used the Canon on the M8, will be uploading some pictures.

The Canon and Nikkor both use 48mm filters.

The Canon is a Planar formula lens, I think it is 6 elements in 4 groups. The Nikkor is a Sonnar, 5 elements in 3 groups. The Nikkor is shorter.

Brian S

Canon 85/2 Serenar, wide-open on the Leica M8.

With a Canon 48mm Hot Mirror filter. How did they know we would use it on a Digital???

Distance shot, at F4.

additional: the 75mm framelines on the M8 and M9 are perfect for 85mm lenses. Provide 100% framing. The 90mm lines are perfect for the Nikkor 105. "Worked out for me!"

kermaier

There are a ton of really good Canon and Nikon lenses in LTM. I don't have my pictures well-organized by which lens I used, so there aren't dozens of examples I can show. But here's what i have, with my favorites *'ed (though all are good):

Canon: 25/3.5*, 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.2*, 50/1.5*, 50/2 collapsible, 85/1.8*
The 25/3.5 is a Biogon formula, very nice rendering, but exhibits some light fall-off as the rear element protrudes deeply.
The 50/1.2 is a special lens, with some wild bokeh wide open.
The 50/1.5 is a really good Sonnar type, with warmer colors than the Nikkors.
The 50/2 collapsible is from 1949 and quite uncommon. Kind of like a Summar, but much better coatings.
The 85/1.8 is very sharp and modern, but somewhat larger than many RF lenses.

Nikkor: 28/3.5, 35/1.8*, 35/2.5, 50/1.4* (x2), 50/2* (x2), 50/3.5 rigid, 85/2*, 105/2.5
The 35/1.8 is a great lens, sharp and good contrast, but can do swirly bokeh.
I have two of the 50/1.4 Sonnar-type lenses: An early one (s/n 5005xxxx) that is quite sharp, but low contrast and warm-ish color. A late one (s/n 380xxx) that is cooler in tone, but doesn't seem sharp on my R-D1 (maybe needs shim adjustment?)
I have early and late copies of the 50/2 Sonnar-type lens, and they're even better performers than their faster brothers, IMO.
The 50/3.5 is very nifty -- a rigid Tessar formula with close-focus capability, built so smooth and solid it's a pleasure to handle.
And the 85/2 is a sweet long Sonnar -- the earlier chrome version was too heavy for my taste, so I got a late black one instead.

I'll try to post a few pictures later.

::Ari

kermaier

Oh, and as Brian mentioned, the Canon lenses can be prone to haze, especially the later black-barreled ones, due to some interaction between the aperture lubricant and the coatings on the elements to either side of the diaphragm.

dude163

Im glad I found out about these!

Japanese lenses that competed with Zeiss and Leica, who knew! ( well , not me !)

Brian S

Nikon | Imaging Products | NIKKOR - The Thousand and One Nights / Tale 36 : Nikkor P.C 8.5 cm f/2

Nikon | Imaging Products | NIKKOR - The Thousand and One Nights / Tale 34 : NIKKOR-H·C 5cm f/2

Good reading on history of Nikkor lenses.

I have a 1948 Nikkor 5cm F2, collapsible, and a very late Rigid 5cm F2. The performance is near identical, changes in the coating were made. The construction of the optical fixtures changed.

And I have a Nikkor-P.C 10.5cm F2.5 in four differemt mounts.

http://imaging.nikon.com/history/nikkor/45/index.htm

It's a hair sharper than the 8.5cm F2's. Which I have in three different mounts, was never made in F-Mount.

Last edited:

dude163

Thanks for all the help and advice all!

Hopefully I can post some shots once I get my new lens!