The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

some critters

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just love this stuff. Doug i know since i shot the DMR and M8 every once in awhile you have to deal with Moire' in the feathers for you and for me suits , ties and shirts it does crop up. Now C1 did have a nice plugin Demorize ( Probably spelled wrong) on the PC side . Just wandering what technique you are using to clean that up a little. i wish this was on the Mac side from C1 , i do miss this part of the PC

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Doug, great to have you here! As usual, your wildlife images are simply stunning and it's a real pleasure to see them posted here! *LOVE* the avocet and hummingbird especially, and is that a Clapper Rail (endangered I think) above the avocet?

doug

Yes Jack it's a Clapper Rail. This bird was at Arrowhead Marsh near the Oakland California airport. The highest high tide of the year brings them out of the marshes into view.

Guy, I'm using the FM moire reducer when nessesary. So far the worst moire I've seen has been on the California Quail. Why this species I have no clue but here's how it cleaned up:

The moire was all over the gray feathers on the birds chest.

woodyspedden

Yes Jack it's a Clapper Rail. This bird was at Arrowhead Marsh near the Oakland California airport. The highest high tide of the year brings them out of the marshes into view.

Guy, I'm using the FM moire reducer when nessesary. So far the worst moire I've seen has been on the California Quail. Why this species I have no clue but here's how it cleaned up:

The moire was all over the gray feathers on the birds chest.
This is why you are truly the "birdman" of Sacramento.

Wow......we should be so good as to get these images

Congrats

Woody

J

Jamie Roberts

Woody--

I should be so lucky to *see* these images :)

Thanks Doug--I love your stuff!

woodyspedden

Woody--

I should be so lucky to *see* these images :)

Thanks Doug--I love your stuff!

Jamie

I truly feel your "pain." When you see a master at work it often makes you feel small. I just keep looking at Ansel Adams, Edward Steichen, et al and try to keep learning. I think it is foolish to believe I could ever achieve their greatness, but 80% of the way would not be so bad

Woody

doug

Here's a recent photo:

This bird is a Great Egret (Casmerodius albus) which is rather common in my area. This was a cold & foggy morning and the egret has tucked it head into the feathers on its back for warmth.

R8/DMR, 560mm f/6.8, extension tube.

Maggie O

Doug, what are the two small raptors in your first post? (Kestrel? Cooper's Hawk?) They're gorgeous!

doug

Doug, what are the two small raptors in your first post? (Kestrel? Cooper's Hawk?) They're gorgeous!
That's correct, a captive female American Kestrel, and an adult male Cooper's Hawk.

Mike, I prefer the shortest I can get away with using. The 280/4 APO is fantastic, the old f/6.8 Telyts are no slouches either. The f/6.8 lenses are best for the more active subjects or where flare can be a problem, the 280 is best for dimmer light, the close-focus range, and where I want to stop down to a smaller aperture for more DOF (the f/6.8 lenses have manual diaphragms). And for pixel-peepers the 280 has no equal :D

M

Mitch Alland

Great pictures, as usual, Doug. And it's worth mentioning that the bokeh is good too: for example, in the first picture of the two geense, some 90%+ of the picture is an O-O-F area, which would ruin the photograph if this were "bad bokeh".

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

doug

Great pictures, as usual, Doug. And it's worth mentioning that the bokeh is good too: for example, in the first picture of the two geense, some 90%+ of the picture is an O-O-F area, which would ruin the photograph if this were "bad bokeh".

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/
Mitch, good point. Given that most of my photos have a significant percentage of OOF areas, bokeh is a consideration when I choose lenses. The f/6.8 Telyts have very nice smooth bokeh, the 280 f/4 is good, not a smooth as the f/6.8 in this respect.

sinwen

Doug,

Just wondering....do you think auto focus would help in most case ? For example, in the first picture ?
I read somewhere the supposed R10 should come with AF lenses.

doug

Doug,

Just wondering....do you think auto focus would help in most case ? For example, in the first picture ?
It would help only if the AF "points" can be located anywhere on the viewscreen and can follow the bird at the speed of a neuron and can distinguish between an eye and the near wingtip and doesn't get confused by textured backgrounds.