The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica EVF vs Oly VF-2 on X2

Moonshine

Does anyone know if using the Olympus vf2 on the leica x2 is risky? Has Leica approved this or is one using this at their own risk?

I have already bought the Olympus vf-2 (once i read on the leica users forum that someone did and it was fine) as the leica alternative is so much more. Haven't got a chance to use it yet as my X2 has not arrived.

Wondering if i should keep the oly vf2 or upgrade to the leica evf... based on if its risky for the camera to use the oly. Any advice?

ashwinrao1

No reports of any issues....I know a few whom have used it extensively without an issue..... It's possible that Leica could release a firmware to block it, but I doubt that they would....

V

Vivek

Why would you think the more expensive Leica EVF is an upgrade?

Since you already have the VF-2, try it and check it with the Leica EVF to see if it would be worth the cash.

Shashin

The EVF does not have it own power source so I can't see why it would harm the camera. Leica will most have a warning against it, but that is too be expected.

250swb

Glad it works! I suppose in terms of design it would be a massive coincidence if the Olympus and Leica people both placed the plug/socket for the EVF at exactly the same distance from the hot shoe. Which goes some way to answering the rumour that it is a branded generic unit made for them by Epson.

Steve

dude163

Plus you can pay the extra 400 bucks for the angel tears red ink for the Leica one :(

It seems the premium for the red-dot is getting higher and higher

MSUSpartan

People buy the X2 because of the brand, the design, the simplicity, the prestige. They'll do the same for the EVF for the brand/prestige/experience whatever. It's a luxury brand now, and the target customers won't want the large OLYMPUS in front of their camera.

Not judging.. I just ordered the X2 and it's coming tomorrow, and getting the EVF today.

MSUSpartan

i got my x2 with the oly evf and its fine. Looks the same as the leica would..
Well there are some Leica buyers who actually likes to shoot photos :) Just saying... a few hundred bucks is not a lot for typical Leica buyers, when they are already overpaying for what they get.

A lot of what people are buying into is the design of the camera, because we know it's not the innards. A X100 can shoot the same photos, probably better because of the faster lens, at a fraction of the cost.

I admit I just like how the X2 looks, and got it over the X100. Now a LEICA on the EVF fits the whole design better than OLYMPUS. I'm sure they work the same, but so do the LX5 and the DLUX5.

pophoto

Moonshine: Has the Oly EVF still been working fine so far, any issues?

Also does anyone know if the VF3 works also and if it is better? Just wondering!