The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It is so hard to let go...

AGeoJO

I have had an M8 for almost 2 years and 5-6 ASPH lenses that I use it sparingly. As everybody knows, it is a manual focus system and as I grow older (who is not :eek:?), my focusing ability is diminishing. I never had any issues with it since day 1 although it made the trip to Solms for that recall at the beginning. Compared to the current breed of DSLR from both Canon and Nikon, the resulting images over ISO 400 is not practically noise-free. The more I think about it the more I think it is a good idea to let it go. Yet, I am having a tough time with that idea. I assembled the package together to take pictures for the FS listing, but I hesitated again. I am normally not so attached to my camera gear; they come and go on a regular basis but this is a tough one. Is this normal?

jonoslack

Hi There
Yes, it is normal, and the answer is simple . . . KEEP IT. Get something else as well which will do better high iso and auto focus - I used to think it was compulsory to keep to one system, these days I seem to have three:rolleyes:

The only camera I've really liked and sold (because I wasn't using it enough) I ended up buying back again.

The M8 is not perfect, but it does produce a unique file. I think that if you're in doubt you should definitely keep it.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Joshua,

I sold my M8 six months ago, and missed it dearly for the last six months. Sure, my Canon system makes fine images, but I just missed the "leica look", and the incredible portability of the M8 system, warts and all.

I sat down a couple of weeks ago, and went through my Lightroom catalog, looking at my highest rated shots from the past 18 months. I was surprised how many of them were shot with the M8. During that time, I probably shot about 20-25% of my shots with the M8, yet about 60%-70% of my highest rated images during that stretch were shot with the M8.

That was the final straw. I just bought back in this week - picked up an M8 and 6 lenses to make a complete M kit. I can't tell you how happy I am to have this system again.

I'm not getting rid of my Canon system - it certainly serves it's purpose well. But I feel liberated now when it comes to travel, street, portrait photography. I can carry my entire M kit in a small shoulder bag, wear it all day, and not feel tired at all. And the images... I just love them.

One final thought on this...

It's a great time to buy, and a poor time to sell. There's not many buyers out there right now. If you dump your M system in this market, and then change your mind as I did, you'll be "selling low" and "buying high", and will pay for it in the long run.

If you can afford it, keep your M8 and your best 3-4 lenses, and sell off the rest. Keep using your Canon system for the high ISO situations, and the situations that need good AF.

That would be my advice.

Mike

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
One more thought...

I was telling Jack this week, these are images that I probably COULD produce with my Canon system. Technically, I could do it, by using the right lenses, etc.

But the really is that I never WOULD produce them, because I simply wouldn't lug around a complete set of L primes everywhere I go.

The portability of the M system means that I'm getting images that I otherwise wouldn't with the Canon system, even if the Canon system is technically capable of producing them.

Here's a few quick examples just from this week - walking through an industrial boat dock in San Francisco.

Mike

AGeoJO

Jono, Jack and Mike,
Thank you for your guys' input and for being able to relate to how I feel about this. I have 3 systems, including the Leica M altogether.... that's the problem :D. Just like you mentioned, Mike, I am a gear slut.

Mike, I like the idea of just reducing the number of lenses to just 3-4 I use the most, although that in itself is another tough nut to crack but better than letting the whole shebang go....

Thank you very much,
Joshua

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Joshua,
Don't do it. The M8 system isn't a perfect system, but I get way more enjoyment and good shots from my M8 than from other systems.
Like Mike said, you will be selling low if you sell now. I just sold most of my Nikon gear and really took a beating. This is not a good time to sell if you don't have to.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The m8 is worth eliminating as much of the focus issue as you can...

1. Make sure you have checked out the possibility for a diopter to correct your vision. If you wear glasses or need a little help with the paper ..you may benefit from a diopter.

2. Make sure your M8 and the lenses are calibrated to perfection. DAG can do this . All three of my M8 bodies were slightly off and half my lenses . Some of those maybe technically within specifications but far enough out to cause front/backfocus issues. No sense is blaming the eyes when it might be the equipment.

3. Work with more forgiving settings. Do you really need to shooting wideopen for every situation ..just because the amazing lenses can handle it ? Using f5.6 and a wide angle provides a lot of latitude . This may require the use of the new auto ISO feature.

4. Practice and work on techniques to find the easiest element to check your focus. The more you shoot the better you can be.

Like I said the M8 is worth it......LOL

Roger

hdrmd

If you can afford it; keep it. The M8 is so much more fun to use than the larger DSLRs. Regards. DR

otumay

I just bought my M8 a month ago and I'm amazed. The photographs I shoot with my starter kit (16-18-21/4 and 90/2.8) reflect the real atmosphere much better than my Nikon D300 and many, many pro-class Nikkor lenses. To prove my point, I'm including three shots I took last week at the Topkapi Palace, Istanbul, in drenching rain. I go there every month with all sorts of cameras and lenses in all kinds of weather, but I was never stunned by my shots before.
Best regards,
Osman

Last edited:

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I bought a Nikon d700 and a couple of the new primes thinking I would use it the most..it turns out it sat on my desk and I never used it much using the M8 instead..I never could make a file from the Nikon look as good as a M8 file. I sold the Nikon gear and bought another M8.2.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
HI Guy
Do you mean that all your M stuff has gone?!:shocked:
I never thought to see the day
Let's not remind me. Hopefully next year i will replace it. i am getting a 8.2 to play with from leica in NJ for a couple weeks. They wanted to see how I like the improvements, which will be fun. Looking forward to it

woodyspedden

I went through this exact process about two months ago, Thankfully all these folks who are offering you advice did the same for me. I ended up keeping my M system and am thankful to those who guided my dilemma.

Keep the M8 unless this focus problem really bugs you.

Woody

akiralx

I bought a Nikon d700 and a couple of the new primes thinking I would use it the most..it turns out it sat on my desk and I never used it much using the M8 instead..I never could make a file from the Nikon look as good as a M8 file. I sold the Nikon gear and bought another M8.2.
I too also bought a D700 (as a successor to the D200 which is now backup) last week - and it is a hell of a camera (it has amazing high ISO ability which is the only M8 bugbear for me), but I will run it alongside the M8, no question. The look and portability of the M system makes it indispensible.

ElvisKennedy

Keep it! Unless you'd like to sell a 28/2, 75/2 or 24/2.8 lens at a good price. In which case; sell it! (Keep the rest, of course).