The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It is so hard to let go...

PSon

I also love the M8 for its optics and IQ. However, like Guy, the medium format had long called me so I decided to retool my gear. Since medium format is also reducing in price greatly (thus it is relative to all the prices including the M8). Instead of prices I believe to own the system (s) that I love most and in my cases it has to do with optics and be able to buy them at the best time. Like Joshua and many other folks there are so many things we want out of our camera system and one just will not be enough. I decided to use a digital back that I can change interphase mounting adapter so that I do not own too many digital sensors but instead just one or 2 and the second one must be able to complement the first sensor and not duplicating. The second also serves as a back up but with functional extension. One of the key to the M8 system is the no mirror module so when the shutter goes off there is no pre mirror slapping. This feature is great for many occasions. However, the whole M8 kit funding was shifted to the medium format digital back. I then bought the Hasselblad 38mm Biogon as my big M8 big brother. This combination of the digital back and a biogon lens is relatively compact for traveling. The lens can focus extremely close and no distortion is apparent. In fact, this lens was used for copy work since the film day. In fact on some of the folks set up the Biogon is mounted on a copy stand. For auto focus system, I turn to the Sinar m system. Up to date from my experiences, the Sinar m system offers me the fastest no hunting auto focus (there are other medium format systems which offer decent auto focus. The auto focus lens for the Sinar m system is lovely and the Sinar m camera will also take all of my Hasselblad V manual focus lens including some of the best lens I have ever used, the 40mm CFE IF, 2.0/110 FE, Superchromat 2.8/300 FE. I also love the Rollei lens for the Hy6 and Rollei 6008 cameras but almost all of the lens that I like in this system happened to be manual focus. Thus, I can get the Rollei 6008 Integral camera that is at the price of an adapter. Again, the Rollei system also have great accessories and the strength of this system for me is the electronic shutter which is essential for multi-shot digital back. The Rollei 6008 system also have accessories for mirror lock up in multi exposure. The Sinar m camera also has a built in electronic shutter and the mirror locks up the whole time the digital back goes through the multi-shots process. In addition, the Sinar m camera will also take the Nikkor lens (the one with the aperture level in the rear) and do auto aperture stop down as well. For zoom lens application the Nikkor zoom will also work fine. I am planing to make the modify the Nikon module into the Leica R module for the Sinar m camera. In addition, the best medium format zoom lens that I have found in terms of hand hold ability and resolution, is the Contax 645 Vario-Sonnar T* 4.5/45-90. In addition, the Contax 645 system also offers the best low mirror and shutter vibration for handheld ability and a waist level finder for copy works and landscape application. Again, all of these systems are funneled to the same digital back. The route that I took for myself is not something that I would recommend for anyone (time and cost) but since we are on the topic of several cameras in the same platform I thought I would introduce the concept of many different platforms with a single digital back. Below is a sample of one lens in my multi-systems with a single digital back.

Best Regards,
-Son

PeterA

That is a beautiful photograph Son!

If you cant manually focus easily - then you dont have much choice.

Nothing to do - except get a new prescription from the Optometrist! Don't sell your M8.

PSon

That is a beautiful photograph Son!

If you cant manually focus easily - then you dont have much choice.

Nothing to do - except get a new prescription from the Optometrist! Don't sell your M8.
Thanks Peter! This image was taken with the Hasselblad 205TCC camera. When it comes to manual focus system, the Hasselblad V system has an extremely bright, crisp, and therefore facilitate the manual focus process with ease. My percent keeper on the Hasselblad V is 99.99% in manual focus mode and handheld.

Best Regards,
-Son

AGeoJO

Hi Son,
Nice to hear from you. The image you posted has so much details in it. Really remarkable!

Thank you for all the folks that have shared their thought here.

Joshua