The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica 75 Lux what a lens when you nail it

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Woody:
{snip}

My version, 2 minutes earlier -- and per my announcement on color accuracy, this image looks HORRIBLE if viewed in Safari!:

I approached this with some scepticism ... but you are quite correct!! It seems to be a leopard issue only though because with 10.4.x there's no difference between the images. In Leopard the colour management is definitely being messed with in Safari causing the images to be a lot warmer/red. Firefox is noticably different.

As much as I like Leopard, there's a bit too much of a 'Vista' feel about it ... dumbing down stuff so you can't find it, bugs, lack of drivers, OS being a nanny at times etc.

Nice shot btw. Do you folks use the parking lot at Tunnel View? I've found that there's actually a nicer viewpoint if you hike up the trail across the road.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The nice thing on the 75 lux if you want it sharp just a few stops down and it turns into a razor blade

woodyspedden

I approached this with some scepticism ... but you are quite correct!! It seems to be a leopard issue only though because with 10.4.x there's no difference between the images. In Leopard the colour management is definitely being messed with in Safari causing the images to be a lot warmer/red. Firefox is noticably different.

As much as I like Leopard, there's a bit too much of a 'Vista' feel about it ... dumbing down stuff so you can't find it, bugs, lack of drivers, OS being a nanny at times etc.

Nice shot btw. Do you folks use the parking lot at Tunnel View? I've found that there's actually a nicer viewpoint if you hike up the trail across the road.
Hi Grahame

Yes this one was shot from the parking lot and yes I have shot from the other side of the road at a higher elevation. But on this workshop all the shots were from the parking lot.

Glad you liked the image

Best

Woody Spedden

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Tony and welcome to the forum! Very cool shot for a first post!

Cheers,

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
GET the STEER. It totally changes the handling of the 75 'lux.

Guy recommended this and I went for it. Not only inexpensive -- indispensable.
Does anyone know where I can find one of these "STEER" focus assist rings for my 75 lux?

Here's a shot I took with a 75 lux last year. Just a quick snapshot of my Dad, while we were eating lunch, and it's turned out to be one of my best photos of him.

Mike

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Mike,
I love the shot of your Dad. You nailed it and I'm sure that your Dad is very pleased with the portrait.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Mike, that is an awesome shot in every way possible! I am surprised you even considered selling your M8 after getting that.

Shame on you, but welcome back to the family!

:ROTFL:,

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Yeah, I know... I should have never sold the M8. But hopefully the Leica gods have forgiven me, now that I've bought another M8, and I'm back in the game :)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I agree Mike, that's a wonderful portrait. The 75 lux is fast becoming one of my favorite things in life. I rarely shoot photos with people in them, but the 75 seems like a perfect lens for when I do.

mikel

It's one of my favorites. It's also why I'm hesitant to go digital and have the 75mm be too tight.
Frank, the last shrimp fisherman in S.F. bay, Delta 100.

Nice to see this thread and all the wonderful images. It reinforces my recent decision to sell my 75 cron and commit to the lux! I love this lens. While mostly for portraits of course it has many uses. Here's a recent one at 1.4.....Peter