The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 50mm f0.95

mwalker

Subscriber Member
fyi update on this lens.....its at DAG getting the m mount along with my 8.2. The .2 was front focusing a bit with the 35 LUX and 50 LUX so I sent the whole setup to Don. I'm sure he'll do a good job and he's got my camera there to test it. When I get it back I'll post some shots.

Last edited:
W

weinglas

Hi Mike,

mine was also calibrated from DAG and he has done a good work.

Regards,
Claus

A

asabet

Congrats Mike! I'm still looking for one. I won an auction, but the lens showed significant lens element separation and I returned it for a refund. I hope to find another one soon.

Hacker

Ok...I found and bought one...poor mans Noctilux :)

John, Weinglas, Vivek, Hacker, Any tricks to using it, it sounds like it may be finicky. I have no problems with my 35 and 50 LUX's.
I use it like any other lens. But I also use the 1.25x VF magnifier.

V

Vivek

Mike, The 72 ->58 step-down ring plus hood (58mm) works very well.

The $508/- rare (it really is) hood do poorly (in addition to blocking the viewfinder, perhaps).

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Oh I see now its a canon .95 hood yeah I bet it is rare. The 72-58 set up I got at B&H for around $40 works great. No vignetting.

Last edited:

Hacker

Thought I update this thread as I'm still finding new ways the lens renders, like the "glow" shots wide open:

robsteve

Subscriber
I actually find it quite useable, despite negative comments on the lens:
Digital has breathed new life into some old lenses. Compared to a Noctilux and shot on film, the Canon was a bit low in contrast and not as sharp. With digital, this is dealt with in post.

Nice shots from the wedding.

Robert

V

Vivek

Digital has breathed new life into some old lenses. Compared to a Noctilux and shot on film, the Canon was a bit low in contrast and not as sharp. With digital, this is dealt with in post.

Nice shots from the wedding.

Robert
I agree these are superb shots! Thanks for sharing, Hacker! :)

But I disagree with Robert's contention about the lack of sharpness of this lens.

You can increase or decrease contrast in the post but can never add any details that aren't already there!

I would go as far as to say that the Canon 50/0.95 is a high resolution lens and no less.

I do not have a Noctilux to compare but I would not be surprised if the Canon 50/0.95 beats the Noctilux 50/1, wide open, in terms of resolving ability.