The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 50mm f0.95

Hacker

That looks nice. Is this an unmodified lens? It seems like the breech-lock levers are intact. I would prefer to leave the lens untouched to use it on my G1 (if possible). Any idea if there's a direct adapter available?
It is modified using the breech mount to dismount the lens as it covers the release button. Look at the lens on the left. No adapter available.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
John, How could you recommend eastcam tech when he screwed up your RF coupling (not the only one I know btw. He has no facility/tools to collimate the lens) and the lens won't focus properly when used on a range finder camera? :confused:
The machine work and mount was fine. He just couldn't deal with the R-D1 I had. But Kevin L. sorted that out and it's fine on both the R-D1 and M8.

V

Vivek

John, I won't elaborate but getting the right focus (RF) is the key part of the conversion. It has nothing to do with the camera one uses.

Hacker, Those are (especially the one on the left) are done beautifully! I would suggest that you get the inside of the mount covered with black paint (may need to be sent away, mount taken out, painted and remounted). This would improve the contrast as well as eliminating CA under certain lighting conditions.

Last edited:

Hacker

I never thought of lenses needing black paint, so this is interesting, considering that Rayqual does it for its adapters, even the regular LTM-M ones. Anyway, I'm left with the one on the right now (Viso III conversion):

V

Vivek

The one you have is painted black on the inside.

(A pity it is one of those truncated lenses with the cut of glass.)

Arne Hvaring

It is modified using the breech mount to dismount the lens as it covers the release button. Look at the lens on the left. No adapter available.

Thanks, I see why it is kept on. The way to go then is first convert the 095 to M-mount and then use a M to m4:3 adapter for the G1. This has of course the added benefit of making the lens usable on the M8, provided one gets the focus right. (Will there be live view on the M9 I wonder..)

gero

I just spoke with Ken and to my sorprize he tells me that it is not a good idea to work on an old lens, open it, clean etc... unless it is not working properly. I woud have thought that a clean and lub would be a non distructive and generally good to do on an old lens. Please let me know what you, people think. (and defenitly NO to recoats)

Geronimo

GDI

(A pity it is one of those truncated lenses with the cut of glass.)

I agree !

But if anyone has one of those old cut ones, please let me know - I may be convinced to trade for one without the cut, if you throw in enough cash!! :ROTFL:

wjlapier

Of the four techs that did the conversion, Don from DAG and Ken from Bald Mountains have the best.
Hello,
I've read through this thread before and reading it again. I'm ready to have my 50 .95 converted.

I'm wondering if one would know if that breach mount on the Canon 7 could be used to create an adapter for M mount.

I have a Nikon S to M mount adapter, so it got me to wondering as I have a Canon 7.

Anyway, could someone who had Don from DAG show me the rear of your converted .95? Would he need my M3 too to do the conversion?

Oh, one last thing. Hacker, are all of your wedding pictures at .95? Or stopped down a little? They are excellent and I'm looking forward to using this lens on my M3.

Thanx--Bill

R

Ranger 9

Hello,
I've read through this thread before and reading it again. I'm ready to have my 50 .95 converted.

I'm wondering if one would know if that breach mount on the Canon 7 could be used to create an adapter for M mount.
No, the resulting "sandwich" would be too thick. Typically what converters do is remove the breech lock ring on the rear of the lens and replace it with an M flange (such as a screw-to-bayonet adapter.)

Hacker

Don's conversion is at post #85, the lens on the right using the Viso III mount. Some Canon 50mm lenses had a C-adapter, I would think that you can use this on the G1 by using a Cine to m4/3 adapter though I see that the m4/3 adapter diameter for the lens to sit in may be too small. Not sure about this.

If you modify via Ken, he will need your original breech mount too and a LTM-M adapter.

Hello,

I have a Nikon S to M mount adapter, so it got me to wondering as I have a Canon 7.

Anyway, could someone who had Don from DAG show me the rear of your converted .95? Would he need my M3 too to do the conversion?

Oh, one last thing. Hacker, are all of your wedding pictures at .95? Or stopped down a little? They are excellent and I'm looking forward to using this lens on my M3.

Thanx--Bill