The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any "fit" issues with CV Color Skopar 25mm on an M9?

Hi:

I just picked up a 25mm Color Skopar for my M9 and noticed that it's very hard to take it off the camera: it takes a lot of effort to turn it to release.

Any one else see this issue and will this mess with the lens mount on the M9?(like wear out the rangefinder coupling or something)

When I try it on a M6, it comes off much more easily, however it's still not as smooth as a Leica (or a Zeiss) lens. Should I be concerned? Needless to say none of my other lenses (cron 35mm and 50mm) have this issue.

Thanks!
Anil

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
it takes a lot of effort to turn it to release.

Any one else see this issue and will this mess with the lens mount on the M9?(like wear out the rangefinder coupling or something)
Anil,

I have mounted a large number of lenses on M6, M7, MP, M8, M8.2 and M9 and on M adapters for other cameras over the years....

VC lenses seem to be tight but within specs...after a few months of mounting unmounting they are easier to turn...with no ill effects on the camera.

However....M9 and VC 25? I would hope that your long term solution would be the 24 L 3.8 as it will humble the 25 and most other M 24 lenses ....

My experience is that the lens mounting is affected more than the camera mounting....should be good.

Bob

Thanks for the reply Bob, that's good to know.

However....M9 and VC 25? I would hope that your long term solution would be the 24 L 3.8 as it will humble the 25 and most other M 24 lenses ....
:) Yes it is; I'm eyeing the Elmarit-M, but am currently broke after purchasing the M9 and a couple of crons (50mm and 35mm). Would you recommend the Elmar over the Elmarit?

Double Negative

Not Available
The LTM adapters can be a little tight some times. Just make sure the lens is screwed in well, and grip the lens on the knurling near the mount rather than elsewhere so as not to torque the lens unnecessarily. I have a couple of Skopars like this as well.

Something also to consider; the CV "Type II" adapters are probably the best bet. One, because they actually align the lens on-center (which technically is wrong, but that's for another day) and perhaps more importantly - have enough meat on the flange for coding.

Double Negative

Not Available
I'm sorry - my bad. I have all LTM versions, so I assumed that...

Is there anything visibly deformed on the mount? Like a ding, or a burr? Maybe one of the bayonet ears? Might be nothing - some lenses are just tight like that until they "wear in a little" since the tolerances are so tight on the M mount.

I don't see anything obviously wrong on the lens. It might just be sample variation and I probably need to "wear it in" as you say :)

Anil

Godfrey

I don't see anything obviously wrong on the lens. It might just be sample variation and I probably need to "wear it in" as you say
My 21 and 35 were snug on the M9 too, but have become easier to get on and off as the lens mounts have become a little burnished through use. As long as the force required is not excessive, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

250swb

It has been discussed before on another forum and the M9 does have a tighter mount than the MP for instance. Given the slight sample variation between lens brands it does mean some lenses are slicker to mount than others. But it is the same case with some Leica lenses as well, so not confined to CV etc. If it goes on OK I wouldn't worry about it being a tighter fit.

Steve