The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DMR and Lenses

PeterA

Firstly a public thanks to Woody whose 35-70 and 70-180 were two lenses I lusted after in the past, and was able to buy along with his DMR/R9.

Also I have to say that Woody kindly threw in ( without telling me) a RRS L bracket and 4 spare batteries! What a gentleman.I am in Leica heaven at the moment so thanks Woody for your trouble. (of course the story doesn't stop there - I had to get myself an 80 lux and a 19! - so I did.:ROTFL:

Of course i am looking forward to Leica's new R series camera hence the profligate spend on the best glass! After years of testing - all I want to do is shoot Leica M and R and my Alpa gear with a DB. I am happy.This forum has cost me a lo of money in quick time is all I can say.:D

Remaining business is to sell a lot of Canon L glass and maybe even my 1dsmk11.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You definitely have moved a lot of gear around over the past few weeks! LOLOLOLOLOL!

PeterA

Well Jack - I have also made a pretty big decision re DB as well - for the time being ..do nothing is my 'big decision'...the new Alpa has got me all excited and in a fluster..:)

I want to see final production model Hy6/Afi and especially interested in what Phase One Mamiya are going to come up with..then I will be in a position to decide in full knowledge whether I really want/need a HD39...

i will be in the US at least 2 times in the first half next year..so the contacts being made through this forum re gear /sale reps and people is very cool.:cool:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
We definitely need to meet up if possible --- where in the US will you be?

PeterA

Miami ( believe it or not) in Feb - but march /april..NY/Boston/LA - got a few Ivy League endowment funds to catch up with ..and a few institutions want to meet me face to face..in LA

Would love to catch up if possible will let you know my itinerary when I confirm in early New Year.

W

workingcamera

Pete

I hope you’ve not sat idle waiting for the 70-180 to arrive. You should have been at the gym getting into condition…:ROTFL:

‘spose you'e had the stuff for five minutes now… so well... pictures pictures?

PeterA

Mate ..it has taken me two weeks to unpack teh stuff Woody sent - it was so well packed and protected!..I will be posting some shots with it - but havent really had much of a chance lately - off to Paris after Boxing Day and looking forward to doing a lot of shooting there. i wil make some shots doen at farm over Christmas with family..

oh btw - I am so happy with getting back to Leica SLR shooting - Woody'd 35-70/70-180 were teh perfect trigger to get me off my arse and back into Leica gear for SLR. I cant rave enough about how much I like teh gear - it reeks quality.

W

workingcamera

One for Pete in honour of his newly acquired ripsnorter R glass

19mm Elmarit-R with Fuji NPS 160 (you remember that oldschool stuff sort like SD cards but longer and thinner)

if the R10 is indeed "FF" this lens alone would be a reason to pick one up

PeterA

Ta Craig, I am pleased to say that it has been pouring rain here today ( first time in years we have got this type of water)..so first shot from front door of house with 19mm on the DMR ..followed by the muddy pool mess it has caused because next door is renovating ... :ROTFL::ROTFL: no swimming this hot weekend..

Last edited:

PeterA

I am so glad I bought this lens..so versatile on the DMR from wide to macro wide..the only thing that bothers me is that I cant put a protective UV filter on the front..( I do that to all my lenses) - any thoughts comments on this issue?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The 19mm is really a outstanding wide angle lens. On the DMR it just feels good to shoot with. My favorite R lenses are the 15mm 2.8 , 19mm 2.8, 28 2.8, 50 lux and the 80 Lux than my all time favorite is the 180mm f2 cron. Than the 35-70 2.8 is something special. One other lens that i have yet to see anything compare to it from anybody out there is the 280mm F4 apo. Needless to say I love leica lenses and everyday I read this R forum i would like to kick myself in the ass for selling my DMR. I love my M8 system but i do miss the DMR.

I wish Leica would just give me a DMR setup for Christmas:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

I've been a good boy , I swear i have.

W

workingcamera

the only thing that bothers me is that I cant put a protective UV filter on the front..( I do that to all my lenses) - any thoughts comments on this issue?
You really don’t need one Peter… The coating on the front element is pretty robust stuff… plus the hood is a solid chunk of gear and does a good job in physical protection

The only thing is I wish the 19 took a circular polarizer

W

workingcamera

Pete … you know this already … Leica is made to be used and it’s a point that cannot be overemphasised.

I’m reliably told the Leica reps used to stub cigarettes out on the front lens element to demonstrate how robust the quarter-wave-coating is.

This was shot on the 70-180 APO Vario-Elmarit

After I got back from a days shooting on this job I met up with the local camera repair guy (Canon factory trained) and he ticked me off for having my gear covered in dust … I told him that’s what they make puffer brushes and lens tissues for.

I’m certainly not interested in writing that bit o glass off. But it would take a fair bit of abuse to mark it up. Still as clean as the day I pulled it out of the box brand spanking new.

Admittedly I did have filters on this time though I did not need them and don’t use filtration now unless it is absolutely necessary for image purposes.

Using filters when you don’t need them only compromises the IQ potential a lens can deliver to the CCD sensor

W

workingcamera

Nice work Guy … last shot in particular is very cool…

btw in case you were wondering Pete can actually tell you how many condoms it takes to make one of those truck tyres